16/08/22 - L1: OUFC v Lincoln City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a good time to remind everyone KR said we need to have a 'top-two mentality' this season?

At our level to get quality players for the price we're willing to pay (both in transfer fees and wages) you often need to sign players how have some drawbacks. Sometimes it's an awful personality or that they've failed miserably at a higher level. Sometimes you'll find that they're completely and utterly one-footed. And sometimes players in our recruitment pool are more susceptible to injuries.

Yeah we've made mistakes in our recruitment (where are our FULL BACKS?!) but don't completely bemoan the fact you have to take risks under our constraints to get quality players. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it really doesn't.

Deep breath.

I'll say it again for those at the back - it's the sheer number of risks.

It's also a complete and utter myth that decent players at this level must have obvious drawbacks. Why are players in our 'recruitment pool' more susceptiple to injuries for example? Players are where they are for a variety of reasons - ability is one. You can (hear me out here) get players with decent League One ability who are also (bare with me) fully fit and not injury prone. It's true! I gave you an example earlier - Ryan Williams! We signed him having played plenty of recent football to a high standard at this level and beyond with sides either promoted or challenging for promotion. Lo and behold - he was fit and available for selection for the majority of the season!

You've completely swallowed the KR nonsense (often perpetuated by his strongest supporters here) that our options are binary - either sign decent players with dodgy pasts or else we end up with poor quality sub-standard players.

I absolutely accept that to get players of potentially upper Championship quality (Browne, Murphy) these will often come with risk - but there are also plenty of players available who are good (or even excellent) at this level without any baggage. Particularly now we have an increased budget.

How did Rotherham go up? or Wigan? Did they get lucky that all of their injury-prone players or those plagued by personal issues just happened to be ok last season? What luck for them! Of course not - they signed players like Tom Naylor from Pompey with a cosnsistent track record at this level of both regular game time and playing well. Not a croc, yet still a good footballer capable of winning promotion at this level.

They do exist. At every level. Chris Wilder found plenty of them in the Conference. We need a manager who can find plenty of them in League One.

Just caught up with this thread. Not very positive is it. After such a good night 1st seeing London Grammar who I thought were very good, even though I only new 1 song ( you can tell I’m from Pompey lol ) the perennial 1 song wonders, and then Coldplay. Who were amazing by the way, if a tad gimmicky.
I don’t know where we go from here, only a short while back there was so much positivity and optimism, now nothing but dissent and despondency from the masses.
It’s pretty clear something needs to change, question is does KR have the balls to do it?
I think the real question is do the owners have the balls to do it!,

I think KR is a very good guy, who cares about the club and players and has been nothing short of excellent with what happened to Joey and other off the field events.

However in terms of taking us forward I just don’t think it’s going to happen, had too many chances now and same mistakes are made every single time, and we have a worse squad than 12-18 months ago.

The owners need to get a proper grip with everything about the way the club is set up and run, and take urgent action to set us up differently from top to bottom.

At our level to get quality players for the price we're willing to pay (both in transfer fees and wages) you often need to sign players how have some drawbacks. Sometimes it's an awful personality or that they've failed miserably at a higher level. Sometimes you'll find that they're completely and utterly one-footed. And sometimes players in our recruitment pool are more susceptible to injuries.

Yeah we've made mistakes in our recruitment (where are our FULL BACKS?!) but don't completely bemoan the fact you have to take risks under our constraints to get quality players. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it really doesn't.
Strange that we used to be able to sign an even better calibre of player than we do now when we were a division lower, without them being top arseholes or being followed by ambulances.

When I see players like Twine being signed from L2 for less money than we spend on merely loaning Herbie Kane for one season, and who when he signs for MK is on less than what we’re paying the likes of Wildschut in terms of basic salary, it’s frustrating. Either we aren’t interested in signing the best prospects from clubs around and beneath us or we aren’t capable of obtaining them. It’s one or the other.

Another shocker. Eastwood was poor, if he is No1 for the rest of the season we are going to have problems, surely McGinty must be give a chance on Saturday, why is Cioron Brown not in for Seddon and Joseph for Taylor, or play two up front withe Taylor to feed off Joseph with the high crosses coming in, we could all see last night that Taylor is now getting frustrated with the lack of service, if we are going to persist with one up front then Matty needs a break, could easily got a red last night.
Read Cris Williams report later, he must have seen a different game to us

We were much better than any of the previous games and created quite a lot.

The full backs played much more attacking, we created some overloads and put some good crosses in.

We conceded one very sloppy goal and one very Oxford goal (20 yard curler).

XG shows we were comfortably creating more than them, even if you exclude the penalty which has an xg of about 0.75 - although game state has a lot to do with that.

Overall, we were quite unlucky. The stats bear it out.

But... it didn't feel right. Something is wrong. We didn't feel in control, even when we were on top. And we felt desperate almost as soon as we conceded.

I'm interested to see how long Browne will be out. It feels to me like we've been playing as individuals. Maybe without any superstar forwards we'll need to start playing as a team again?

2022-08-16-oxford-lincoln.png

I dare say you and I
Strange that we used to be able to sign an even better calibre of player than we do now when we were a division lower, without them being top arseholes or being followed by ambulances.

When I see players like Twine being signed from L2 for less money than we spend on merely loaning Herbie Kane for one season, and who when he signs for MK is on less than what we’re paying the likes of Wildschut in terms of basic salary, it’s frustrating. Either we aren’t interested in signing the best prospects from clubs around and beneath us or we aren’t capable of obtaining them. It’s one or the other.
I dare say you and I might just have the same opinion on which of the scenarios reflects the current regime.

Lincoln worked as a cohesive unit - what they lacked in "talent" they made up for in organisation and workrate.

They got 2 decent goals and nullified anything we had.

Why can`t we do that?

With KR virtually running the entire show at OUFC, who would step up to cover while the recruitment process found a new manager? Would it be even possible that the board, where ever they are, would already have thoughts on a replacement? What infrastructure is in place to set up a recruitment process? There is no DoF to offer direction. Would Mous and/or Shorty be able to run the team in the interim period? Robinson has constructed a very secure position for himself.

Almost as if once you've got yourself two goals ahead away from home - you don't need to create anything.
Just work hard to stop the home side (devoid of ideas and inspiration) creating much themselves.
I actually turned to my brother at half time and went, “They will sit back and pretty much declare now, we will have at least 60% possession and a lorry load of shots, and then it’ll be held up as a textbook example of us being the better team after we’ve lost, cos the stats say so innit.”

I love a good stat and data mining really makes my trousers tight on a good day, but the application of such information often leaves much to be desired. Cambridge at home the other week was bad for enabling ‘stattos’ to declare our dominance. 15 shots but about 10 of those were speculative efforts from 20+ yards that were blocked by the first defender before the ball had even entered the penalty area, yet they go on the record regardless.

I actually turned to my brother at half time and went, “They will sit back and pretty much declare now, we will have at least 60% possession and a lorry load of shots, and then it’ll be held up as a textbook example of us being the better team after we’ve lost, cos the stats say so innit.”

I love a good stat and data mining really makes my trousers tight on a good day, but the application of such information often leaves much to be desired. Cambridge at home the other week was bad for enabling ‘stattos’ to declare our dominance. 15 shots but about 10 of those were speculative efforts from 20+ yards that were blocked by the first defender before the ball had even entered the penalty area, yet they go on the record regardless.
Yes you really need to witness the way the game unfolds. We did have a handful of good chances and came very close on a few occasions, so you could say we deserved something, but our play was panicky and unstructured - as someone said above, like plucky non-leaguers in the cup.

Anyone have a link to RadOx’s interview with KR?

The WATG on BBC Sounds show is 20 minutes long. Half of it is the risible ‘Squad Goals’ filler programme and it cuts short. The following Paul Miller show starts with the news so there’s doesn’t seem to be anywhere to listen to KR’s ramblings to Nathan.

Deep breath.

I'll say it again for those at the back - it's the sheer number of risks.

It's also a complete and utter myth that decent players at this level must have obvious drawbacks. Why are players in our 'recruitment pool' more susceptiple to injuries for example? Players are where they are for a variety of reasons - ability is one. You can (hear me out here) get players with decent League One ability who are also (bare with me) fully fit and not injury prone. It's true! I gave you an example earlier - Ryan Williams! We signed him having played plenty of recent football to a high standard at this level and beyond with sides either promoted or challenging for promotion. Lo and behold - he was fit and available for selection for the majority of the season!

You've completely swallowed the KR nonsense (often perpetuated by his strongest supporters here) that our options are binary - either sign decent players with dodgy pasts or else we end up with poor quality sub-standard players.

I absolutely accept that to get players of potentially upper Championship quality (Browne, Murphy) these will often come with risk - but there are also plenty of players available who are good (or even excellent) at this level without any baggage. Particularly now we have an increased budget.

How did Rotherham go up? or Wigan? Did they get lucky that all of their injury-prone players or those plagued by personal issues just happened to be ok last season? What luck for them! Of course not - they signed players like Tom Naylor from Pompey with a cosnsistent track record at this level of both regular game time and playing well. Not a croc, yet still a good footballer capable of winning promotion at this level.

They do exist. At every level. Chris Wilder found plenty of them in the Conference. We need a manager who can find plenty of them in League One.
The thing that I don't get is why we didn't just take "The Model" and juice it up on steroids.

Get in young players with a load of potential, but with the money we've got we can now get even better young players with even greater potential. After all, we weren't a million miles away from the holy grail over the last couple of seasons. All it feels like we needed to do was upgrade what we were already doing and sort out the clear issues (full backs, target man etc) and we'd be there.

But no. We've taken the money and spanked it up the wall. Not too late to rectify it, especially as the budget is apparently still very healthy, but it needs someone else in charge of spending it.

With KR virtually running the entire show at OUFC, who would step up to cover while the recruitment process found a new manager? Would it be even possible that the board, where ever they are, would already have thoughts on a replacement? What infrastructure is in place to set up a recruitment process? There is no DoF to offer direction. Would Mous and/or Shorty be able to run the team in the interim period? Robinson has constructed a very secure position for himself.
Would that be the existing Head of Recruitment Mark Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom