Home Match Day Thread 21/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Blackpool

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For balance, all 5 of the goals we've conceded at home this season have come in the last half hour - with an average goal time of 83 minutes and 24 seconds.

It's definitely fair to say that we've had less control of games late on.

Sometimes games become dangerously scrappy and open (Vale, Rovers) and sometimes we seem to give the initiative to the opposition having been dominant previously (Charlton, Exeter, Blackpool). Of course, it's not always worked out badly (Charlton were naive and we exposed them on the break, Exeter still needed an equaliser and we punished them too).

The point still stands. We're an excellent team - but there is a potential chink in the armor, at home, late on.

For the record, we've secured (a fantastic) 16 points at home this season so far.
However, at 60 minutes across those games we were on course for 17 points.

So for all the late drama (and our late goals) there's been no 'net gain' points-wise in the last half hour (and 3x sending-offs, to boot).

You can spin it anyway you want, but we're simply not finishing games with anywhere near the control and quality that we show earlier on - and if I were an opposition manager I would see that as an opportunity.
Bring Gorrin on for the last 15 mins - play the (err) Gorrin role? If he's worth a (short) contract, maybe he should earn it?

With all these modern tactics and phrases coming into the game, and Manning mentioning it on Saturday, I thought, as a bit of a dinosaur, I'd actually Google 'low block' to understand exactly what it means:

"A low block is an out-of-possession strategy through which a team focuses on protecting the defensive third of the pitch. The priority is to remain compact in a deep position, defending the space close to goal. The back line is positioned deep, aiming to limit the space in behind for the opposition to exploit."

Well, that is exactly how we have played in the last 30 minutes of a few games lately, so it's definitely a tactical decision, nothing to do with players having the shits.

Against teams that have been battering you and you are trying to hold on to something then it may be the way to go.
But, in matches where you have dominated for 50-60 minutes but also don't have a comfortable lead then, to me, it's a crap tactic to then adopt. The main disadvantages are that it suddenly gives the opposition time and space on the ball so gaining confidence and allows them to actually build attacks and momentum.

So bloody stop doing it in matches like the last 2 or 3!

More understandable, but at Derby we were 2 up and they scored in the 87th minute and we had a massive defensive performance to cling on to the win

At Barnsley we were comfortable at 2 up. Again, they scored in the 70th minute. Cole nearly got a touch to equalise, before O'Donkor and Goodrham combined for the winner in the 88th minute

Both great performances, and you would expect Derby and Barnsley to go for it at home, but this has happened in home games as well.

It just has to be the reason for such lethargy; Goodhram was subdued and not his usual lively self, O’Donkor barely shuffled around let alone ran, Murphy and Stephens tried without success. Subs come on to impact a game, yesterday they pretty much made the situation worse.
Them subs killed us of O'Donkor needs a loan he isn't a league 1 player at present a loan to league 2 or top national side will do him good and manning goes from attack to defend a 1-0 that's what let him down at MK

With all these modern tactics and phrases coming into the game, and Manning mentioning it on Saturday, I thought, as a bit of a dinosaur, I'd actually Google 'low block' to understand exactly what it means:

"A low block is an out-of-possession strategy through which a team focuses on protecting the defensive third of the pitch. The priority is to remain compact in a deep position, defending the space close to goal. The back line is positioned deep, aiming to limit the space in behind for the opposition to exploit."

Well, that is exactly how we have played in the last 30 minutes of a few games lately, so it's definitely a tactical decision, nothing to do with players having the shits.

Against teams that have been battering you and you are trying to hold on to something then it may be the way to go.
But, in matches where you have dominated for 50-60 minutes but also don't have a comfortable lead then, to me, it's a crap tactic to then adopt. The main disadvantages are that it suddenly gives the opposition time and space on the ball so gaining confidence and allows them to actually build attacks and momentum.

So bloody stop doing it in matches like the last 2 or 3!

I think it works in tandem with being able to counter attack quickly and effectively. The low block means other teams push people forward which in turn allows us to counter attack and exploit them. To be fair so far apart from Saturday it's worked. Mills has been great at this when coming on from the bench. Murphy apart from his finishing did this well against Rovers. Saturday, I think Murphy should have come on instead of Stevens. When Murphy did come on, it was too late.

I think the difference is that we seemed to start this 'low block' at about the 60 minutes mark (which was far too early to give up the initiative IMO) and we only had a one goal lead (unlike v Bristol Rovers for example, when we could afford to make a mistake). Add in the fact that the subs simply made us worse and I don't think there was a single person in the ground who was surprised when the equaliser went in.

If I were ere an opposition manager I would see that as an opportunity.
Time was we'd play patient possession football to wear the opposition out, before pressing on later on...

....are we now going to see opposition sides actually saving themselves for the first hour before pressing us in the last 30?

Time was we'd play patient possession football to wear the opposition out, before pressing on later on...

....are we now going to see opposition sides actually saving themselves for the first hour before pressing us in the last 30?
it has looked that way in a few games this season

I think the difference is that we seemed to start this 'low block' at about the 60 minutes mark (which was far too early to give up the initiative IMO) and we only had a one goal lead (unlike v Bristol Rovers for example, when we could afford to make a mistake). Add in the fact that the subs simply made us worse and I don't think there was a single person in the ground who was surprised when the equaliser went in.

Yes agree. The subs were wrong. Thought Murphy should have come on instead of Stevens. Stevens and Long don't look a great combination on the right and we needed more pace on.

My
Yes agree. The subs were wrong. Thought Murphy should have come on instead of Stevens. Stevens and Long don't look a great combination on the right and we needed more pace on.
Stevens seemed to give us neither more attack nor more defence. I was surprised we didn't bring on Gorrin, as we were constantly losing the ball in midfield.

9 wins from 12 games and there are complaints on how we’re finishing matches. Bit much that.

I repeat, weird and woolly though their supporters may be, Blackpool were the best oppo team seen here this season. Thought it was high quality game.

We’ll win comfortably tomorrow night by the way.

9 wins from 12 games and there are complaints on how we’re finishing matches. Bit much that.

I repeat, weird and woolly though their supporters may be, Blackpool were the best oppo team seen here this season. Thought it was high quality game.

Complaints? Mostly measured opinions on a football forum about our second half performance I would say. Nobody has said the world is ending!

I’m not easy with that style of play now but it certainly will become a complaint if we continue to sit back after 60 minutes every game and invite teams to break us down. And they will.
Especially when we have little or no attacking intent ourselves.
Risky way to play the game I’d say.

A few people suggesting we should have bought Gorrin on. I’d shudder at that for the moment until he’s had some proper game time in the pizza trophy. I was a big fan of his but he definitely looked below par last time he played so seems an unnecessary risk at least until he’s up to speed after the huge amount of time out.
Not writing him off as he needs game time first but not in this phase for the first team.

weve let in 3 goals in the first half this season.

weve let 7 goals in the second half this season of which all of those were in the last 30 minutes.

league games only.

Pretty much every home game has been similar this season where weve outplayed teams in general but only seem to get just 1 goal and always go into the last 30 minutes without being safe. Exeter and Shrewsbury being the only 2 games we then went on to win comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom