16/08/22 - L1: OUFC v Lincoln City

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was the worst performance I have seen from us for several years. Completely disjointed, slow paced and zero cutting edge. I have no idea what was wrong with Bate. An appalling full debut. He's very highly rated at Leeds, but looked miles off L1 standard. If he was an Academy player, he would be off on loan to National League South. I think we have reached peak KR. This is the first time (probably in his career?) that he has been given a very good budget, but matched with high expectations, and it doesn't seem as though he can handle it. He's got some very talented L1 players but they are not fitting into any recognisable shape. All the good managers have a formation (or formations) that players know and those players then fit into those roles. Last night was an organisational shambles. I have never been a massive KR fan- but last night is the first time I thought it's time for him to go. Another ten games of rubbish like last night and the season is over.

Maybe I was watching a different game last night. I thought second half was the best we have looked for a while. Fast, running at players, creating chances. Browne was a big part of that and I hope his injury isn't too bad. The first half was poor, but we seemed in control until their first went in.

Bate was so poor in the first half, couldn't find an Oxford player. Bodin offered nothing on the wing. Joseph and Henry made a big difference when they came on.

When looking at each game I would say - Derby, we deserved a draw and it was a very even game.

Cambridge, we deserved a draw but sneaked it.

Bristol, we deserved a draw.

Lincoln, I felt we did enough to win, but they scored their two chances and we didn't.

We can turn this around. We need a new RB to push long, we need two wingers and a solid midfielder.

The only reason the 2nd half seemed positive (from the perspective of performance) is the abject standard of what came before it.

We’re miles off the standard required to deliver promotion and we have been for the last 10 games.

Maybe I was watching a different game last night. I thought second half was the best we have looked for a while. Fast, running at players, creating chances. Browne was a big part of that and I hope his injury isn't too bad. The first half was poor, but we seemed in control until their first went in.

Bate was so poor in the first half, couldn't find an Oxford player. Bodin offered nothing on the wing. Joseph and Henry made a big difference when they came on.

When looking at each game I would say - Derby, we deserved a draw and it was a very even game.

Lincoln, I felt we did enough to win, but they scored their two chances and we didn't.

We can turn this around. We need a new RB to push long, we need two wingers and a solid midfielder.

We have signed 3 wingers on this summer and one last January, bit of a disaster to still need two. The new signings need to not be Robinson gambles.

xG:
vs Derby - 0.67
vs Cambridge - 0.93
vs Bristol Rovers - 0.67

We may have been the better team in matches we've played so far this season (KR's words last night), but we are hardly creating off the back of that.
Do you know what the opposition's xG in each game was as well as this would be very interesting to see and help to assess whether we really have been the 'better side' in the games?

• React
Reactions: m
The only reason the 2nd half seemed positive (from the perspective of performance) is the abject standard of what came before it.

We’re miles off the standard required to deliver promotion and we have been for the last 10 games.
The second half was better and as you say @OxfordYankee that's against a very low benchmark. But......Lincoln were also sitting back defending a 2 goal lead and so short of a total failure by the team, we were always going to look better because it was like a training game of attack v defence. I'm trying to stay positive because we did miss some chances (and thus created some) in the second half but I fear it will be toxic on Saturday if we go behind.

Do you know what the opposition's xG in each game was as well as this would be very interesting to see and help to assess whether we really have been the 'better side' in the games?
Yep:
Derby - 0.73
Cambridge - 0.64
Bristol Rovers - 0.90

Yep:
Derby - 0.73
Cambridge - 0.64
Bristol Rovers - 0.90

Not a lot in it.

Certainly nothing to say a single win (or even 3 draws) is wildly unrepresentative.

Yep:
Derby - 0.73
Cambridge - 0.64
Bristol Rovers - 0.90
Right so on the key stat that people look at now - we have been the poorer team in 2 of the 3 games for which those stats are available. So we have not been the better team in those matches despite what our manager believes.

I don’t want Robinson gone. He has to be given time to put this right.
Brannagan and Taylor yet to find form. New players need more time too.
If this season looks like imploding before 2023 then maybe it is time to look at other options.
Im very disappointed but let’s take one game at a time….or maybe five
On top of the four and a half years he's already had? And whose fault is it that we've got these issues, the same issues that have plagued us for his entire spell? What have you seen from him that makes you think this season he'll learn? We were told we were going to be aggressive in this window and here we are two weeks before it closes with the same two full backs who weren't good enough last year with no backup, a keeper who was dropped for a fair chunk of last year, very little strength and power, loads of injured players who are "too good for this level when they're fit" and we can't break down strong, organised teams. These are all hallmarks of his time here, even if he "puts this right" what would that look like? It has to be a top 6 finish at a minimum, missing the playoffs like we did last year (by a mile by the way) would be completely unacceptable.

I can't for the life of me work out why anyone would trust Robbo with another transfer window based on how the last couple have gone.

We haven't created much, we haven't conceded much. A different source, but last night's xG timeline:

- We racked up a majority of our xG in the second half once 2-0 down
- remove the penalty and the xG is ~ 1.5
- Lincoln didn't have a shot after half time

Significant game state impact in the above, but again, didn't concede much.

Yes, and all the others and tonight we played a lot better. Look at the stats. Yes, I know the only real stat is goals scored, but we certainly didn’t deserve to lose.

Really? We were inept, no shape and no real oomph in our team apart from McGuane.

I’m sure the board are reluctant to give Robinson any further funds for new players due to how much money has been wasted, which is why nothing is on the horizon for strengthening the team. I’d be cutting the money off to him as well. I think we need a complete overhaul of recruitment strategy.

Why didn’t we.

Yes we did but shouldn’t have.

Did we

Really? No we didn’t

On top of the four and a half years he's already had? And whose fault is it that we've got these issues, the same issues that have plagued us for his entire spell? What have you seen from him that makes you think this season he'll learn? We were told we were going to be aggressive in this window and here we are two weeks before it closes with the same two full backs who weren't good enough last year with no backup, a keeper who was dropped for a fair chunk of last year, very little strength and power, loads of injured players who are "too good for this level when they're fit" and we can't break down strong, organised teams. These are all hallmarks of his time here, even if he "puts this right" what would that look like? It has to be a top 6 finish at a minimum, missing the playoffs like we did last year (by a mile by the way) would be completely unacceptable.

I can't for the life of me work out why anyone would trust Robbo with another transfer window based on how the last couple have gone.
hit-the-nail-on-the-head-idiom-vector-5539966.jpg

Would we say funds wasted?

Browne was a freak injury last night.
Wildschut has come off the back of internationals and had a freak bit of pressure on his hamstring from a collision.
Murphy, we maybe could have handled him better, but only two weeks ago people were saying what an incredible signing.
Findlay is looking solid.
Brown is good defensive cover.
McGinty is a good prospect.
Joseph has looked good in his cameos, chasing a game.
Jones, is a calculated gamble.
Bate, looks lightweight at the moment.
Baldock, we all wanted him to stay on after last year's performances.

Moore, Brannagan, Bodin have new contracts.

I can't see where we have wasted money personally. We need another RB, another CSM and now another winger.

When this team clicks it will be very good.

Would we say funds wasted?

Browne was a freak injury last night.
Wildschut has come off the back of internationals and had a freak bit of pressure on his hamstring from a collision.
Murphy, we maybe could have handled him better, but only two weeks ago people were saying what an incredible signing.
Findlay is looking solid.
Brown is good defensive cover.
McGinty is a good prospect.
Joseph has looked good in his cameos, chasing a game.
Jones, is a calculated gamble.
Bate, looks lightweight at the moment.
Baldock, we all wanted him to stay on after last year's performances.

Moore, Brannagan, Bodin have new contracts.

I can't see where we have wasted money personally. We need another RB, another CSM and now another winger.

When this team clicks it will be very good.

Each of those 'negatives' or 'risks' or 'gambles' may be ok in isolation - can you not see that the sheer number of them is the issue?

Go for Browne, take a risk on Baldock - but how about backing it up with signing a number of players who've consistently played circa 40 League games at or around this level in recent years - a la Ryan Williams? It's not rocket science - it's building a robust squad that can compete over 46 League games - KR has 'built' a squad that is struggling over 4.

The Robinson’s interview - most of it was a man who I felt is not handling the pressure. The only two parts of note, second-half we threw everything at them, and later on we go at 100 miles an hour.

Some have said second half we were better, but only if you value commitment and energy, throwing everything at the opposition, without clarity and thought, at 100 miles an hour! Lincoln beat us because they were well drilled and organised. Cambridge deserved at least a point for the very same reason. Clarity of thought, knowing what each player had to do, and when. We have some quality in this squad, but desperately need more, and someone to lead who at least has a game plan that isn’t as frenetic as Karl’s interviews!
We played like the manager speaks, haphazard and rushed at times, ponderous when asked a difficult question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom