16/08/22 - L1: OUFC v Lincoln City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect I am not going to say anything that hasn't been said multiple times on this thread already, but need to get it out! Feel free to skip this :)

I was hoping that KR was going to do something imaginative, so when I heard that the team was the same as for Bristol Rovers with Bodin in for Henry my heart sank and I had an inkling of what we were about to see. As many have quoted Einstein's quip about the definition of insanity I won't do so again!

Thought we were OK for first 15 minutes, still playing at a slow stumble but seemed to have some control. We didn't look like scoring of course. Once we went behind then the wheels fell off and bounced over a cliff into a bottomless pit. The latter part of the first half was really as poor as I have seen us play for ages. It was aimless, slow, disjointed and I really could not even guess what we were trying to do. Can anyone enlighten me? We weren't trying to play the ball through them, we weren't really trying to get the ball to a wide player's feet for a cross to come in. If the tactic was 'boom the ball head high out wide after passing it riskily back and forth among the defence' - which is what it seemed - it was pointless. I thought the boos at half time were fully merited. I don't like to hear them but then I expect to come and watch a football team (rather than 11 individuals) who have a basic grasp of what they are supposed to be doing. If the manager had come out onto the pitch I'd have booed him heartily. To hear that PRB was being snippy about the booing is disappointing, he needs to wind his neck in. He is a club employee and I think adds little to the RadOx commentary, no matter how nice a bloke he is.

Was the second half better? Yes it was, if only because we actually played at a faster pace. Why we had to wait until being two down and (presumably) a half time bollocking to actually start moving faster than an arthritic snail I have no idea. I do have to say though that for all the improvement, we didn't really create much more than some half chances (apart from the pen of course). Browne's injury looked worrying, I thought he at least showed flashes of talent, commitment and attacking intent throughout the match up until then which put him above most of his colleagues. I can't say I ever thought a draw was on the cards though. Once Lincoln weathered that storm the game settled back down and the final whistle was (as it is for us all) inevitable. In the East Stand the whistle was greeted with mild applause and a few isolated boos. Most of us just kept quiet.

I made a rookie mistake of listening to KRs post match random word vomit in the car on the way home. Does he actually believe any of it? Or does he really think that anyone listening is daft enough to be fooled by it? It's either worrying or insulting, probably both.

Positives? My digital ticket worked, McGuane was excellent, Browne good in flashes, we had some rain (although that wasn't such a positive driving home up an M40 with very little visibility and through flooded roads near MK!).

The negatives were everything else. I was intending to buy a ticket for the Crystal Palace game but after that I am not sure I want to spend £20 plus another £30 in petrol to sit there tutting to myself and trying not to groan. Tell you what OUFC, get the manager and players to buck their ideas up and put in a decent, attacking, positive display against Morecambe and I'll get one on Saturday.

Player ratings.

Eastwood 5/10 - Couldn’t do anything with either goal but awful distribution throughout. McGinty in for me Saturday if we want to play out.

His performance in the second half was concerning but hardly surprising.

Should he be being beaten from 25 yards (again) where Scully lined up his shot before placing it? He was 8 yards off his line. I think people are trying to ignore Eastwood to justify the clamour to f*** off Stevens out of the door.

He cannot play out from the back, in the way we need. McGinty has to be the Number 1.

We as a team, therefore, have no real philosophy anymore.

I suspect I am not going to say anything that hasn't been said multiple times on this thread already, but need to get it out! Feel free to skip this :)

I was hoping that KR was going to do something imaginative, so when I heard that the team was the same as for Bristol Rovers with Bodin in for Henry my heart sank and I had an inkling of what we were about to see. As many have quoted Einstein's quip about the definition of insanity I won't do so again!

Thought we were OK for first 15 minutes, still playing at a slow stumble but seemed to have some control. We didn't look like scoring of course. Once we went behind then the wheels fell off and bounced over a cliff into a bottomless pit. The latter part of the first half was really as poor as I have seen us play for ages. It was aimless, slow, disjointed and I really could not even guess what we were trying to do. Can anyone enlighten me? We weren't trying to play the ball through them, we weren't really trying to get the ball to a wide player's feet for a cross to come in. If the tactic was 'boom the ball head high out wide after passing it riskily back and forth among the defence' - which is what it seemed - it was pointless. I thought the boos at half time were fully merited. I don't like to hear them but then I expect to come and watch a football team (rather than 11 individuals) who have a basic grasp of what they are supposed to be doing. If the manager had come out onto the pitch I'd have booed him heartily. To hear that PRB was being snippy about the booing is disappointing, he needs to wind his neck in. He is a club employee and I think adds little to the RadOx commentary, no matter how nice a bloke he is.

Was the second half better? Yes it was, if only because we actually played at a faster pace. Why we had to wait until being two down and (presumably) a half time bollocking to actually start moving faster than an arthritic snail I have no idea. I do have to say though that for all the improvement, we didn't really create much more than some half chances (apart from the pen of course). Browne's injury looked worrying, I thought he at least showed flashes of talent, commitment and attacking intent throughout the match up until then which put him above most of his colleagues. I can't say I ever thought a draw was on the cards though. Once Lincoln weathered that storm the game settled back down and the final whistle was (as it is for us all) inevitable. In the East Stand the whistle was greeted with mild applause and a few isolated boos. Most of us just kept quiet.

I made a rookie mistake of listening to KRs post match random word vomit in the car on the way home. Does he actually believe any of it? Or does he really think that anyone listening is daft enough to be fooled by it? It's either worrying or insulting, probably both.

Positives? My digital ticket worked, McGuane was excellent, Browne good in flashes, we had some rain (although that wasn't such a positive driving home up an M40 with very little visibility and through flooded roads near MK!).

The negatives were everything else. I was intending to buy a ticket for the Crystal Palace game but after that I am not sure I want to spend £20 plus another £30 in petrol to sit there tutting to myself and trying not to groan. Tell you what OUFC, get the manager and players to buck their ideas up and put in a decent, attacking, positive display against Morecambe and I'll get one on Saturday.
We only really played for the start of the second half until Browne got injured. Thereafter it was just hit and hope like plucky non-leaguers against Liverpool, even though Lincoln were very modest opposition. That team wasn't very different from the one that was frequently brilliant last season, why are they playing so badly?

At least it should stop calls for neglected players to play - hmm, little lad Bate isn't the answer.

I think it was Appleton who said that a team is the reflection of it's manager.
It appears we have no clarity of thought and consequently of actions.

When it clicks it is good! The problem is it's inconsistent and it rarely 'clicks' against the top 5 teams. The concern is most can't see that changing.
I'd say that this season it hasn't clicked very much against teams that are probably not going to be anywhere near the top five.

Would we say funds wasted?
Absolutely, yes.
Browne was a freak injury last night.
Had his minutes managed previously and that was before a couple of knee operations. Didn't the Charlton deal fall through after the medical?
Wildschut has come off the back of internationals and had a freak bit of pressure on his hamstring from a collision.
Didn't see but wasn't he a bit overweight and lacking some fitness? Could be a bit of bad luck with this one although it happens so often its hard to look past itm
Murphy, we maybe could have handled him better, but only two weeks ago people were saying what an incredible signing.
Robbo admitted he was injured when he signed and yet he played for over an hour against Cambridge. Might not have made it worse but can't have helped.
Findlay is looking solid.
Is he? He looks decent as far as getting first contact to balls but incredibly limited with the ball at his feet. I've got faith he'll turn it round though, having better full backs would help both him and Moore no end I think.
Brown is good defensive cover.
Yep, solid signing who should be playing ahead of Seddon.
McGinty is a good prospect.
I'll reserve judgement on this, we have a good record with young lads from Ireland so fingers crossed.
Joseph has looked good in his cameos, chasing a game.
Yes, hopeful he'll be a good option an add something different.
Jones, is a calculated gamble.
Another calculated gamble.
Bate, looks lightweight at the moment.
He does but seems to have some class. Could be another one where his parent club get the full benefit and we only get bits of quality in fits and starts.
Baldock, we all wanted him to stay on after last year's performances.
I was pleased when he extended his contract, but only as a bonus squad player. You absolutely can't rely on him to play more than 20 games, he should be on top of a full set of forward options not a crucial part of it. Talent wise far too good for League 1 but his history tells us we won't see much of him.
Moore, Brannagan, Bodin have new contracts.
Decent business all round, especially Brannagan, but when you're talking about extending contracts I think the barrel is starting to be scraped.
I can't see where we have wasted money personally. We need another RB, another CSM and now another winger.
Far, far too many risks. One or two aren't bad to add some quality to an already settled and reliable squad but as it is we're banking on a lot of players with very iffy injury histories to be regular contributors for us while ignoring the defence again, it's a recipe for disaster.
When this team clicks it will be very good.
Yep, if Robbo stays that will happen at some point. I've always said there will be a spell where we blow teams away for five or six games and are one of the form teams in the country. It happens every season and for a lot of fans will cover up the fact that we've possibly blown it early doors by being unprepared, not having adequate cover for all positions and a load of our injury prone players getting injured.

Last edited:
His performance in the second half was concerning but hardly surprising.

Should he be being beaten from 25 yards (again) where Scully lined up his shot before placing it? He was 8 yards off his line. I think people are trying to ignore Eastwood to justify the clamour to f*** off Stevens out of the door.

He cannot play out from the back, in the way we need. McGinty has to be the Number 1.

We as a team, therefore, have no real philosophy anymore.
From the conversations I have with people, I think most have agreed that neither Eastwood nor Stevens are good enough.

I agree McGinty has to start. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Browne was a freak injury last night. - history of knee and hamstring issues
Wildschut has come off the back of internationals and had a freak bit of pressure on his hamstring from a collision.
Murphy, we maybe could have handled him better, but only two weeks ago people were saying what an incredible signing - Managed just 10 games last season due to injuries
Jones, is a calculated gamble - not played for 3 seasons!
Bate, looks lightweight at the moment - a youth product with no experience of senior mens football apart from fleeting appearances for Leeds in a premier league which is certainly less physical than league 1
Baldock, we all wanted him to stay on after last year's performances.- His injury record over the last 5 years speaks for itself

I can't see where we have wasted money personally. We need another RB, another CSM and now another winger.

See comments above. While not ‘wasted’ money, can a club the size of ours, really allow this many risk signings in a squad of 22ish? Of those highlighted, how many would you be prepared to gamble your savings on playing 30/35 games a season?

It comes back to Robinson and his over-inflated standing within the football club. There is a clear lack of accountability for his decision making and until that changes, he will continue to run a mock with these ‘gamble’ signings.

The injuries are not unlucky. They are likely given the players past injury records. You do not have to be a medical professional to deduce that a player who has had a number of knee or hamstring injuries, is more likely to breakdown again in the future. It’s common sense.

If, IF the players are being put through proper, thorough medicals when signing, then the buck falls with the conditioning team and Robinson as they are either being pushed to hard too quick (as appears the case with Murphy - funny how news on his injury seems to have disappeared!) or the players are just not up to the required levels of fitness to perform and stay fit.

Hmmmm, this is a bit like those people adamant that BATE MUST START. Is McGinty any good?
I've no idea but assume he was signed to be a starter and that we're doing the same as McNally and giving time to adjust to the new club.

Eastwood is a known quantity and we know it's not good enough. The way I see it, we may as well get McGinty blooded sooner rather than later in the hope he is good enough. If he's not, then he'll have had 20+ games before the January window.

Is Robbo signing players because of the standard they have previously played at during there career and gambling with the reasons as to why they are now playing in league 1 . Some of the new players have had long term injuries and it’s now coming back at him and he’s complaining about our bad luck with injuries which is strange in itself . I like Robbo but it’s mainly what he says in preseason on transfers and now in his press interviews that he basically creates his own problems. If the team plays bad I would have far more respect for him if he just said it as it is . If the teams played bad then say the team played bad .You can’t polish a turd

Browne was a freak injury last night.
Murphy, we maybe could have handled him better, but only two weeks ago people were saying what an incredible signing.
Jones, is a calculated gamble.
Bate, looks lightweight at the moment.
Baldock, we all wanted him to stay on after last year's performances.

Thought we had a striker coming in with the big grin on KR’s face last week, or is that another we couldn’t entice to come here?

Just caught up with this thread. Not very positive is it. After such a good night 1st seeing London Grammar who I thought were very good, even though I only new 1 song ( you can tell I’m from Pompey lol ) the perennial 1 song wonders, and then Coldplay. Who were amazing by the way, if a tad gimmicky.
I don’t know where we go from here, only a short while back there was so much positivity and optimism, now nothing but dissent and despondency from the masses.
It’s pretty clear something needs to change, question is does KR have the balls to do it?

Each of those 'negatives' or 'risks' or 'gambles' may be ok in isolation - can you not see that the sheer number of them is the issue?

Go for Browne, take a risk on Baldock - but how about backing it up with signing a number of players who've consistently played circa 40 League games at or around this level in recent years - a la Ryan Williams? It's not rocket science - it's building a robust squad that can compete over 46 League games - KR has 'built' a squad that is struggling over 4.

At our level to get quality players for the price we're willing to pay (both in transfer fees and wages) you often need to sign players how have some drawbacks. Sometimes it's an awful personality or that they've failed miserably at a higher level. Sometimes you'll find that they're completely and utterly one-footed. And sometimes players in our recruitment pool are more susceptible to injuries.

Yeah we've made mistakes in our recruitment (where are our FULL BACKS?!) but don't completely bemoan the fact you have to take risks under our constraints to get quality players. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it really doesn't.

Just caught up with this thread. Not very positive is it. After such a good night 1st seeing London Grammar who I thought were very good, even though I only new 1 song ( you can tell I’m from Pompey lol ) the perennial 1 song wonders, and then Coldplay. Who were amazing by the way, if a tad gimmicky.
I don’t know where we go from here, only a short while back there was so much positivity and optimism, now nothing but dissent and despondency from the masses.
It’s pretty clear something needs to change, question is does KR have the balls to do it?

Jesus, we are bad if we make Coldplay look good!

At our level to get quality players for the price we're willing to pay (both in transfer fees and wages) you often need to sign players how have some drawbacks. Sometimes it's an awful personality or that they've failed miserably at a higher level. Sometimes you'll find that they're completely and utterly one-footed. And sometimes players in our recruitment pool are more susceptible to injuries.

Yeah we've made mistakes in our recruitment (where are our FULL BACKS?!) but don't completely bemoan the fact you have to take risks under our constraints to get quality players. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it really doesn't.
Apparently new only need one that can cover both positions ( must be some big bastard to be able to do that )
Regarding risks he KR has taken to many and this season has to be the worse regarding gambles. His lack of recruitment prowess is obvious to see.
Last season it was plain and obvious with defence issues we had. Has he addressed this issues? No he hasn’t.
Tbh I can’t see what Findlay is actually going to bring to the club? He signed Briwn but has only been a sub with preference given to Seddon and for the life of me and a lot of others we can’t see why.
He has signed apparently a very talented midfielder on loan who apparently is to good for this league……he must be still on the bench because I’ve yet to see that.
A striker was a must and preferably a permanent but again he had failed to do that.
How long do the board think “ hang on a minute we’ve pumped millions into this club but it’s not being managed correctly?”

That's true and understandable, but you have to bring in a balance of those drawbacks. Only bringing in players who's drawbacks are a lack of games and injury issues is insanely risky. If you look at all of our new signings, I think only Wildschutt played more than 30 games the previous season. At least last season we could rely on Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom