What are peoples expectations for this season?

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date

What is your expectations?

• Champions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Runners up

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Third

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Play off winners

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Play off losers

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Just outside play offs

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Mid table

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Relegation battle

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To pretend that their are no questions over Tigers ability to fund the club now and to meet future expectations, and just what his long term plans are (including the stadium) is naive. There are questions so far that have not been asked or not fully answered. Until they are I remain a little concerned about Tiger.

So far we have seen some some good organisational changes within the club that have improved us as a professional club, and the appointment of a good manager. So its a case of so far so good. But the question of finance is still the elephant in the room.

What we have also seen is Tiger's and KR's inability to fully control what they say. Both are prone to hyperbole and over enhusiastic statements that generally build the fans expectations beyond reality. As long as we understand this and mange our exceptions we can remain objective and feel let down when the latest "wow" signing turns out to be a solid if unexciting player that we add a lot to the squad.

I agree that there are unknowns around Tiger which will no doubt play out over time. Every owner should always be scrutinized imo anyway as we've had too many bad ones.

His actions so far have generally led to positive things on the pitch and off though so far. My issue is with those that so blithely dismiss those actions and then complain about him without any substance. The training ground being dismissed as it is rented yet we have finally secured a purpose built, high quality training ground for 1st time in our history. Does anybody else remember the training facilities we were using at Milton Utd not so long ago?

The other one that keeps popping up is him not spending transfer fees/doing it on the cheap when he has spent on 3 players. And we're loaning players from higher divisions, that whilst we're only paying a portion of their wages it will still be a significant wage considering Luke Garbutt is supposed to be on £27,500 a week.

FFS. Might I suggest you have a look in the pl
No, I am not doing it for reaction. I am genuinely concerned about where Tiger’s ownership will take us. I thought his statements in the first few weeks were ridiculous, and they reminded me (in a very bad way) of early Kassam and his ‘journey’. Quite a lot of people seem to be confusing housekeeping with investment. Renting a training ground, getting a shirt sponsor, changing kit suppliers- this is not investment, this is basic bau (‘business as usual’). And as for the new u23 team, I am baffled. It doesn’t play in a league , and it doesn’t seem to be any different from the team that played friendlies last season with a mixture of academy and pros not in the first team. Tiger made a lot of very odd statements in his first few weeks- from ‘wow’ to (I paraphrase here) ‘my ambitions exceed yours’. Both statements implied that he was going to invest very heavily. But if you look at transfer fees in and out since he officially took over, he has banked just over £1m and has spent (maybe) £100k. And btw, I still haven’t seen any evidence that he ‘bankrolled’ player purchases before he took over. So, I am perfectly entitled to hold these views and also point out that our star signings appear to be loanees. I thought Eales sold very carelessly, and it was a great shame after the way he had managed the club in his tenure. But whatever your views of Eales, you cannot deny that he spent money proper money on players, and brought in a calibration of permanent player we hadn’t seen for years. So that’s my view- more than happy to have a proper debate about it, but there is little point if all I, or others who post similar views, just receive a torrent of abuse......not from this poster btw, but plenty of others including the chap with a limited vocabulary who posted a couple of hours ago
FFS. I suggest you a look in the players car park. I have noticed a big up grade from last season. To me, that, indicates Tiger IS investing. Tiger could of cut DF and CAllen. Technically they are not needed. But. No. Tiger. Wants to continue to build the club. To me. Actions speak louder than words, my friend. Lets back Tiger. Lets not drag the fella down.

I am hoping for a solid top half season, maybe even a flirt with the play offs, with an exciting cup run, with KR/SD (lower leagues Cloughie and Taylor?) backed by Tiger and all the on/off field team gearing up for a serious promotion push 19/20. End of. I thank you.

I think with the squad as it is at present we can expect an improvement on last season - but not significant enough to see us reach much more than the outer fringes of the group chasing promotion.

I’m not anti-Tiger, I’m not anti-loan player, and I’m of the opinion that the calibre of player brought into the club over the summer has been high, even if not quite in the quantity or at the times that we’d hoped.

But, for all our options for the group of attacking midfielders behind the forwards, and for all Obika’s pre-season goals, I do think we are bitingly short up front. I don’t know enough about Sam Smith to know whether he is the answer, but right now we have Mackie (who’s track record isn’t one of high volumes of goals) or Obika (who’s track record suggests he’ll miss more games through injury than he’ll score goals). That lack of cutting edge is what will cost us.

We are also too light and lacking in experience in midfield. Again, something KR is obviously aware of given his possibly stalling attempt to sign Karacan - but another area which will bite us in crunch games against teams who genuinely will be at the top end of the league.

Our transfer activity over the next two weeks is telling, and could change everything. But personally I don’t know enough about him to understand why signing Sam Smith on loan - a guy who can’t get in a Reading team who flirted with being in this league with us - instantly converts us from tidy footballing midtablers to genuine contenders.

All that being said, I do feel we’ll at least be a better and more attractive watch this season than with the bunch that Pep assembled last summer...

FFS. I suggest you a look in the players car park. I have noticed a big up grade from last season. To me, that, indicates Tiger IS investing. Tiger could of cut DF and CAllen. Technically they are not needed. But. No. Tiger. Wants to continue to build the club. To me. Actions speak louder than words, my friend. Lets back Tiger. Lets not drag the fella down.
I have no doubt Tiger is investing and he seems to be doing a good job at targeting the investment. What we don't know is how is this investment being funded. We also don't know where Tigers investment is leading to. What can we expect?

Actions do speak louder than words and Tigers actions so far have been good. However as good as these actions are if they are not properly funded it will end in disaster for the club (our past history has examples of this). It is in our interest as fans to ensure our club has a solid future, and to do this it is best to establish potential issues before it all falls apart so that we may campaign to get things fixed. I think we all back Tiger, but backing him and having blind trust in him is a different matter. It is not a slight on Tiger to ask to know how things are funded or his long term plans. Nor would it be unexpected for the fans to put our concern for the club we love first.

For me my trust in Tiger will greatly enhanced if he would provide more information regarding finance and plans. It would be even further enhances if this information was realistic and not full of grand wishes. If Tiger did this I think most detractors would be happy. Until then we do need to remain skeptical, but we must temper this we an understanding that criticism must remain fair.

I think with the squad as it is at present we can expect an improvement on last season - but not significant enough to see us reach much more than the outer fringes of the group chasing promotion.

I’m not anti-Tiger, I’m not anti-loan player, and I’m of the opinion that the calibre of player brought into the club over the summer has been high, even if not quite in the quantity or at the times that we’d hoped.

But, for all our options for the group of attacking midfielders behind the forwards, and for all Obika’s pre-season goals, I do think we are bitingly short up front. I don’t know enough about Sam Smith to know whether he is the answer, but right now we have Mackie (who’s track record isn’t one of high volumes of goals) or Obika (who’s track record suggests he’ll miss more games through injury than he’ll score goals). That lack of cutting edge is what will cost us.

We are also too light and lacking in experience in midfield. Again, something KR is obviously aware of given his possibly stalling attempt to sign Karacan - but another area which will bite us in crunch games against teams who genuinely will be at the top end of the league.

Our transfer activity over the next two weeks is telling, and could change everything. But personally I don’t know enough about him to understand why signing Sam Smith on loan - a guy who can’t get in a Reading team who flirted with being in this league with us - instantly converts us from tidy footballing midtablers to genuine contenders.

All that being said, I do feel we’ll at least be a better and more attractive watch this season than with the bunch that Pep assembled last summer...

Sam Smith played 9 times, scoring 2 for Reading last season according to Wiki.

In Robbo we trust - he has a plan.

And he has previous. Knows L1 inside out.

The new players are being brought in carefully. Experience alongside youth , promise and on saleability.

You have to use the loan market these days- another sign of how lower league teams have to bow at knee of Mammon.

Playoffs.

To me the key is how 4 players who are not new perform.

Eastwood/Nelson/Henry/Hall.

Keep Hall fit and we will go a long way.

Last year's league was weird. There was absolute rubbish at one end and probably the best top 2 the third division has ever seen at the other. In the middle, everyone was just mediocre and inconsistent. It was a real missed opportunity for us imo, and the general standard of the league will (surely) be higher this year. So while we have doubtless improved, I think top half is realistic. Would be pleased with top 10.

Either way, I'm excited about the sense of structure, ambition and competency that seems to have started tentatively returning to the club after it was comprehensively dismantled by Pep last year.

I watched them last evening and was pleasantly surprised at the pace, movement and organisation, even though we were playing what was in essence a youth team, the first two in particular aren't attributes I've generally grown to associate with the club.

I was also quite taken with the intensity and professionalism of the half-time substitutes' warm-up.

This bodes well for the season but there are questions that Mr Robinson needs to solve:

What are we planning to use as a striker when Obika has to play against grown-ups and disappears? Mackie seemed invisible when he came on. We're liable to suffer from not being able to hold the ball up when we clear it under pressure. We desperately need a big striker.

When the Leeds Academy got fired up they cut our right to ribbons. Lack of pace out there or poor organisation? I dunno. On the whole we weren't that well organised when defending, midfield not covering that well in front of the defence.

Every time I see Rob Hall running I think he's going to get injured if he doesn't get eased off the ball. Can he survive a season.

On the whole, not bad. It could be asked what exactly playing a group of talented, pacy youth whose defence was a bit shambolic offers as a guide to the season and I suspect the answer's not a lot. But with a striker we'll be ok, as long as the squad depth doesn't get found out.

Play-offs at least. Anything less would be disappointing wouldn’t it.
No. New management team. New Players. New Physio. New owner. IMO is this is season to build. But. I bet KR wants promotion/play offs 18/19. I would be happy with repeat of 16/17. Top 10 season. Cup runs. Ready for promotion 19/20.

Really?

Dickie, Brannagan, Norman, Whyte are all excellent signings likely to make big returns.

Carrathurs and Garbutt are excellent loan signings who are a class above at our level.

Mackie and McMahon both offer much needed experience and bite.

In addition we have Eastwood tied to a longer contract, Henry and Hall continuing where they left last season, Obika looking sharper than ever, Nelson back to full fitness, Lopez, Napa and Baptists pushing for contention.

PLUS, we still have a 16 days before the transfer window closes and the very likelihood of more coming in before the weekend.

I literally have no idea what there is to moan about?
Garbut is currently on £1,456,000 pa, basic @ Everton. Kane was on £456,000 @ Chelsea. Now. That is a step up in quality.

I watched them last evening and was pleasantly surprised at the pace, movement and organisation, even though we were playing what was in essence a youth team, the first two in particular aren't attributes I've generally grown to associate with the club.

I was also quite taken with the intensity and professionalism of the half-time substitutes' warm-up.

This bodes well for the season but there are questions that Mr Robinson needs to solve:

What are we planning to use as a striker when Obika has to play against grown-ups and disappears? Mackie seemed invisible when he came on. We're liable to suffer from not being able to hold the ball up when we clear it under pressure. We desperately need a big striker.

When the Leeds Academy got fired up they cut our right to ribbons. Lack of pace out there or poor organisation? I dunno. On the whole we weren't that well organised when defending, midfield not covering that well in front of the defence.

Every time I see Rob Hall running I think he's going to get injured if he doesn't get eased off the ball. Can he survive a season.

On the whole, not bad. It could be asked what exactly playing a group of talented, pacy youth whose defence was a bit shambolic offers as a guide to the season and I suspect the answer's not a lot. But with a striker we'll be ok, as long as the squad depth doesn't get found out.
I was impressed with KR comments on the match. He wasnt a happy man. So. I don my hat to you Sir.

I agree that there are unknowns around Tiger which will no doubt play out over time. Every owner should always be scrutinized imo anyway as we've had too many bad ones.

His actions so far have generally led to positive things on the pitch and off though so far. My issue is with those that so blithely dismiss those actions and then complain about him without any substance. The training ground being dismissed as it is rented yet we have finally secured a purpose built, high quality training ground for 1st time in our history. Does anybody else remember the training facilities we were using at Milton Utd not so long ago?

The other one that keeps popping up is him not spending transfer fees/doing it on the cheap when he has spent on 3 players. And we're loaning players from higher divisions, that whilst we're only paying a portion of their wages it will still be a significant wage considering Luke Garbutt is supposed to be on £27,500 a week.
I can confirm Luke is on £28,000 a week.

No. New management team. New Players. New Physio. New owner. IMO is this is season to build. But. I bet KR wants promotion/play offs 18/19. I would be happy with repeat of 16/17. Top 10 season. Cup runs. Ready for promotion 19/20.

I agree this is the season to build but fail to see how with the signings we have made you cant build on loanees and a 32 yr old striker. Need more of our own players like Whyte and the Kings lynn lad to do that. What happened to the £500,000 bid we had rejected in jan

Back
Top Bottom