• Lower?

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • The same?

Votes: 42 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
O

OxfordYankee

As we’re less than 3 weeks from the season starting….

Difficult to assess even my expectations at the moment.
I expect us to be competitive but to what extent, we will have to see.
Every team in this league are looking for improvement and few are unchanged in personnel from last year. The usual suspects will have outspent us so it won’t be easy by any means.
I would hope that our experienced players will give us a distinct advantage though, so I hope, a playoff place is still achievable.

Presuming the missing pieces of the squad jigsaw can be found and inserted into the team without bending them too much, I'd expect us to be upper mid table - on the fringe of the play offs. I'm not sure the quality runs deep enough for higher (we *will* get injuries and suspensions, every club does!). The quality, timing and number of the rest of the signings might change this opinion though.

To be honest, right now I'm not too interested in how well we do next season. Just looking forward to a few northern away days, Bolton and Sunderland (again) in particular.

I do think we will go higher this coming season.
Ipswich and Oxford top two, with Sunderland going up via the play offs after beating Sheffield Wednesday.
Charlton and Portsmouth will disappoint their new managers

It's still too early to say really. We know where the strengths are and we know where we simply need some players in. Even once we're underway, much can change in the transfer window where deals can be struck. It's the same for everyone else too. No one is a fine tuned machine in mid-July.

I'd expect us to be doing much the same as we did last year. Can you see us being in the top two? Probably not. Can you see us making the playoffs? With a fair wind, some luck with avoiding injuries and useful reinforcements. Top half? For certain. Anything below that would be a pretty big step back.

Relegation form for the first couple of months, then win a few games but still ropey, before putting on an amazing run post Christmas to give us hope in the playoffs, which we ultimately lose.

Same as the last couple of seasons.

If I can just go to some home games before the next Covid spike and lockdown then I'll be happy enough.

Current squad id say anywhere between 10th & 15th. After we have finished our squad building neck on the line id say anywhere between 5th and 10th.

It's really difficult to say without knowing what the final squad looks like.
A decent left back, Centre Back and 2 very good loanees and we would be in good shape to make the Top 6 again.
I reckon we have a better squad than this time last year (* with left back) and we should start a lit stronger.
Of course if Stevens, Brannagan left that could change things.

I’d love for us to go up but to be honest, if we make the playoffs for a third season in a row then I’ll be happy. Anything lower than mid table and I’ll be unhappy.

Given the spending of some of the teams in the league this year, and the general competitiveness expected, I'd say top 10 would be a decent season, a flirt with the playoffs a successful season. Anything higher would be a blinding season. My opinion may change if we suddenly bring in Boyle, Seddon, Robson and Whyte - but on current squad (if Seddon does indeed sign) I reckon around mid table is our level.

I'd expect us to be top half and competitive, but I can't commit to the playoffs. After all, the difference between 6th and 7th is both tiny and enormous.
I think we'll continue to perform well and give lots of entertainment but the difference in resources between us and the bigger clubs will probably be too much. I'd be happy with getting to see the games, keeping Karl and most of the players, and hearing positive news about the stadium.

As it stands, I’d say we are certs for mid-table. Gaping holes in squad balance and, at least from the outside looking in, a board that is distracted by other things. Last season my expectations were high and the dreadful start lowered them very quickly. This season, my expectations are much lower. Still time for them to rise, though I get the feeling that off-pitch activities will be making the headlines this season. I just hope they’re good headlines.

10-12th. We look to have a team of mid-table players. And before Scotchers points out that we haven’t finished our transfer market dealings yet; neither have all the other teams. We’ll probably perform better than a a collection of our parts, but there ate too many strong squads in the league this year. I’d settle for watching attractive football, the occasional shock win, some great away days and a good cup run. A season of hope rather than expectation.

Automatic promotion place , or at least win promotion via the playoffs ( 3rd time lucky)- getting the forthcoming season off to a decent start of course is needed to achieve an automatic promotion place

Given the loss of most of our defense, and the admission that a number of players wont be signed until after the season starts, I am expecting what has become the usual disastrous start. Twice we have clawed back form this to reach the play offs. This time I think it will be just to much to ask and I expected mid table at best.

If no one leaves and we bring in a couple more I will be fairly hopeful of a top ten finish/challenge for the play offs. We have an excellent midfield and good cover, decent attacking options, a very bright and promising young goalkeeper. The defence is the question mark, a new left back and seeing how well McNally settles in to his first proper season in English football as well as the lack of depth/cover means it’s the area of concern but overall I am fairly hopeful (although that will probably be dashed bu the usual poor start but hopefully followed by the charge up the league after).

A lot will depend on luck with injuries, hopefully players settling in and hopefully a couple of youngsters like Elechi etc stepping up if/when needed, but I don’t see why a bit cautious optimism is a bad thing compared to the near break down by some on here. If you expect to be challenging for the automatics you will be disappointed but a bit more realistic approach and you can find hope.

Not sure of how we'll do but I would consider anything less than the play offs as failure.

Back
Top Bottom