Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
been up at the jr with my old man in EAU - where he's been since yesterday-wifi there is not great ( pretty crap tbh).... most asked Q by the old man (not in the best condition atm) 7 times today - have we got a new manager yet?

it appears not (yet) then
@Sarge , fingers crossed that your old man is ok. I'd say there's more important things than football in your current situation but, in his position, I'd be asking the same questions.

Hope you're both ok mate.

I believe Manning took over a team built by Martin, once he left Manning took over and had a fairly good season.

When it was time for the rebuild, he built the side that’s struggling this season. This appointment if true, really worries me
This is very hard to judge. Although he didn't put the squad together, you need to give him some credit for getting them to play so well. He was in place in January when they bought in a few decent players too.

Since last January they lost O'Riley, Twine and Darling. That was arguably the best defender and the best two midfielders in the league last season which is an almost impossible task to replace, on top of all the loans etc. We can say he's built a poorer squad but then they were never going to replace those with three who were like for like quality.

This all assumes he had a lot of say in recruitment, which a few people have said isn't the case, in which case it's really hard to judge him. I wouldn't write him off based on this season but I also won't give him too much credit for last season. It's certainly a risk but potentially high reward providing we get the new head of recruitment right. There's a hell of a lot of unknowns with Manning but I suspect he interviews very well.

Let's be honest here, it's the cheap option. I suspect having paid Robbo off, the potential salary expectations of candidates were a large factor.

The more I think about it, the more I think what a mad appointment it is in our situation.

McCann, Appleton and Cowley don't have great experience in a relegation dog fight either. You could say all of them would of been a mad appointment aswell.

The conversation I had last week said that 5 people had been interviewed and they were looking to interview the top 2 again this week. No mention was made at that time about others being spoken to. I asked about names and was told that because of the betting market they couldn't risk giving names. I said, "is it safe to say it's MApp and one other". The reply was "no, he's not expected to get a second interview."

I've had a couple of health issues over the last few weeks, and had a day in hospital this week, and surgery likely the week after next. So I haven't posted much and haven't spoken to this individual since the end of last week.

Simply put, I don't know the names of the final 2, or if anyone else spoken to this week has changed the picture. I was leaning towards Grant McCann, but Liam Manning is someone that we would have all loved to have had here if we were a year ago. Heard good things about his coaching style and development of players, but may be burnt by his experience this season.

Like others, I would expect an announcement this week and expected one today - but hopefully tomorrow to get things in place for some huge games coming up.
@Scotchegg, Scotchers, I hope everything is ok and any surgery you need goes well.

As a fellow yellow you know that the next appointment is important, but your health is much more so. Take a rest, get better soon and let this forum mock your comments some more in the future!

Look forward to hearing from you when you've recovered.

Last edited:
Let's be honest here, it's the cheap option. I suspect having paid Robbo off, the potential salary expectations of candidates were a large factor.

The more I think about it, the more I think what a mad appointment it is in our situation.
He did get a 250k pay out or there abouts.. but money shouldn’t be an issue for us with the owners

On paper, I think Manning would be a decent appointment. And as has been said, potentially very astute if we can stay up. The budget will go up again next season.

However, with regards to the rather pressing issue of staying in the division… what a gamble he would be over some others. Highest risk, highest potential? Possibly.

If it’s him, I wish him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom