Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem the Board is walking itself into here, is that if Manning takes us down, the disappointment from many at his appointment will mean that he’ll quickly become an unpopular manager.

Mapp and McCann would probably have credit in the bank and be given more time by the fans as the former has experience of promotion from League 2, while the latter has experience of promotion after taking a team down.

It’s a massive gamble not only for the club but for Williams and co too. Like everyone here, I hope it pays off but you do worry that senior people at the club are taken in by good talkers.

You really hate Appleton don’t you son
Not at all, they were great times when he was here but I just don’t think he’s the best fit for this club, at the moment. That’s all. I’m siding with the pragmatists and realists on here rather than the incurable romantics.

To me the way the appointment of a new manager seems to have been handled it’s very similar to our summer player recruitment I think it’s very possible we have be turned down by our first targets and have now possibly moved on which is why all of a sudden manning is the favourite, who ever it is I will get behind them 100%.
However if the club is ever to progress we need actual decision makers running the club day to day and not having to have everything done by a committee someone needs to be accountable

Have been out since 09.30 this morning got back in around 45 mins ago, haven’t had a signal for most of the day and have just read the last 22 pages that were posted since 09.30 and now I’m tired.
Points form those 22 pages…..it’s a manager merry go round it’s, no it’s, it could be, no I’m sure it’s, regarding who the next manager could be.

Something I’m concerned a bout a week last Friday we had a meeting at the training ground and TW started by august we go round the table introduce ourselves and say something about us for a couple or minutes. TW started and I’m not
sure who it was but 6 minutes bingo TW’s self introduction someone interrupted with a question, but from his self introduction which includes his time at Inter Milan and his time at Man Hester utd and rubbing shoulder with Ferguson, but this last 4 weeks has shown him and Grant Ferguson haven’t a clue about grass root football clubs.

Finally to @Sarge hope your father gets well soon and to @Scotchegg hope your operation goes well.

Oi Tim FFs announce the new manager.

The problem the Board is walking itself into here, is that if Manning takes us down, the disappointment from many at his appointment will mean that he’ll quickly become an unpopular manager.

Mapp and McCann would probably have credit in the bank and be given more time by the fans as the former has experience of promotion from League 2, while the latter has experience of promotion after taking a team down.

It’s a massive gamble not only for the club but for Williams and co too. Like everyone here, I hope it pays off but you do worry that senior people at the club are taken in by good talkers.
Appointing LM would definitely be make or break in terms of Williams and Ferguson’s relationship with an awful lot of fans. If it’s him and he can’t keep us up, I make you right that it could all turn very quickly. And given how bad it was getting by the time they finally found their balls and pulled the trigger on Robinson, I think it would be a lot nastier and angrier than they would be prepared for. If we stay up and then start next season well, it could be a big step towards redemption.

What I don’t know is whether or not they understand that.

I wonder what Hoffenheim and Leipzig fans first thoughts were when they appointed a young manager. Now he looks like being the youngest manager to win the Champions Lge imo.

He was 28 when he took the job at Hoffenheim, They were virtually down, and pulled off the great escape. He then guided them to fourth in the Bundesliga. He took over Leipzig and got them runners up, and cup final. Got them to champions Lge semi finals.

I wish we could appoint someone like Nagelsmann. Maybe Manning is that man.

Last edited:
@UTO, do you think there will be any announcement tomorrow? Were the board trying to wrap up a deal by the Derby game or announce it by then?

How do you justify Manning over Appleton?
A 10% higher match winning percentage?

Not as many sackings or failures?

I‘m playing devils advocate as I think the fact that because the new manager may not be MAPP, many people have become blinkered and unfairly can’t see any good or reasons why anyone else should have the job.

I’m not sure if LM is first choice or not but it may also be MAPP or others didn’t like what they were being sold or failed to agree terms. However I suspect LM has been very near, or at the top of the list since applications came in.

Let's be honest here, it's the cheap option. I suspect having paid Robbo off, the potential salary expectations of candidates were a large factor.

The more I think about it, the more I think what a mad appointment it is in our situation.
I have to say I agree. Manning might be a decent coach (I’d say the jury is very much still out) but he isn’t a manager. He needs a good support network around him - DoF and Recruitment staff. We have neither. This might sound harsh but I saw an interview with him on YouTube after a defeat earlier in the season and he came across a bit like a little boy lost. I’m far from convinced he has the presence, experience and steel to be the person we need for this situation

Appointing LM would definitely be make or break in terms of Williams and Ferguson’s relationship with an awful lot of fans. If it’s him and he can’t keep us up, I make you right that it could all turn very quickly. And given how bad it was getting by the time they finally found their balls and pulled the trigger on Robinson, I think it would be a lot nastier and angrier than they would be prepared for. If we stay up and then start next season well, it could be a big step towards redemption.

What I don’t know is whether or not they understand that.
Absolutely.

Let’s not forget that Williams and Ferguson have been incredibly lucky that since October they’ve largely experienced 5 months of apathy from the fans. We’ve been INCREDIBLY reasonable given what we’ve been served up and the lack of decision making.

If we go down, I think they’ll be in for a shock about how angry a lower league club’s fans can get.

Whether they understand that I have no idea. I have a feeling they don’t as one of them is hardly ever here, while the other doesn’t seem to read the mood music even when he was being guided by a large number of helpful, moderate voices.

Hopefully, for all our sake’s, it doesn’t come to that. But for a leadership team who have managed to lose the confidence of many in less than six months, there has (belatedly and luckily) been an opportunity to make an appointment which would have really galvanised the club whether we stay up or not in Appleton and McCann.

If they choose not to take that opportunity and their gamble fails, they are going to be in for a very rough time of it. I’m not sure if they’ll survive it to be honest.

But again, no one wants that. Let’s hope whoever they appoint does the business and gets us up off our knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom