Next Manager

I genuinely don't know what would be worse... Robinson staying on as Manager or Tiger getting rid and going on a spending spree of random crocks, has-beens and "wow" appointments.

Looking at the time it has taken to resolve the tax issues and the appointment of Robinson last year if he was sacked I'd be astonished if we saw a manager in before the transfer window closed.

I agree in that it is quite possible that it will take a relegation to get rid of him. Of course the reverse of that is that if we should somehow escape the drop, we might be stuck with him.
The problem for Robinson now is that success this season will be avoiding relegation and that clearly isn’t good enough. He’s running on empty as far as patience from the supporters goes.

There were no confidentialities - in fact the exact words used by him that day were "I don't care who knows what from what's said today." The only things he asked not to be made public were a couple of things regarding personal issues with a few players, which frankly he shouldn't have said whether they were on or off the record. But while he's still the manager, and those players still need to play for him to at least some extent, it won't help as numerous players do read this forum. Doesn't matter to me that he said he didn't care, because as I've said before he is a very silly man, and just because he says he's fine with the world knowing what he thinks of his squad doesn't mean it's a good idea. But as soon as he's gone, and those players who would be hacked off at him can simply laugh and shrug it off because he's gone and it doesn't mean anything, I'm certainly going to put it up, because I'm tired of him spouting lies in public to make himself sound better and cleverer than he is. All of this while other people defend him and attack people who think he's rubbish, despite him averaging around a point a game across some 40 matches in charge, achieving only one away win in that entire period.

What I will say, however, is that it's nowhere NEAR what it was when we were bundling our way through a relatively decent run (fat lot of good that ended up doing anyway). Yet the entire time we were subjected to comments from certain fans about how great he was, and comments from himself about how this player is fantastic, how that player's really showing how good he knows they are etc, when it's completely at odds with his actual opinions. I don't like the man, I don't like his record across nearly an entire season of football matches, and I'm basing that both on his returns in terms of results and also on firsthand experience of sitting down and listening to him for several hours. You can't say fairer than that, forming an opinion on someone based on direct dealings with them and analysing the reality of what they've produced in terms of results in their job, but I'm sure that won't stop multiple people having a pop regardless, due to some sort of bizarre notion of what being a supporter actually means. Doesn't matter what I or others say, or the circumstances from which knowledge was gained and opinions formed, because if it's negative then that just means you're ripe for a dig in the ribs.

It always amazes me that the two journalists that openly post on here never want to actually disclose anything! Lots of dropping hints but never any real substance. It's very clear that you don't like Robinson, and to base that on his performance as manager is fair enough. But to keep harking back to a mystical ideal starting 11 that somehow defines his ability to pick the best team is bizarre. It takes only a few seconds to flick through the players section or match day threads to see that pretty much every Oxford player, and those who may or may not join us have been ripped apart by someone. So to hold back on upsetting someone is ridiculous. Also, if this starting 11 is displayed so readily for 'guests' to see, isn't also fairly likely that the same players you are aiming to protect have also seen this? Without knowing what was on the board, it is difficult to judge it's relevance, but on the surface it does appear to be one of the strangest reasons to doubt Robinson's ability to manage.

So Ryan makes several valid points (backed up with stats to support it) and the only thing you come back with is that. Poor effort imo. Great insights Ryan and from my own personal meetings confirms what I’ve always thought..

I think Ryan also makes it fairly clear that he has a personal issue with Robinson that may or may not cloud his judgement. Looking at his performance as manager, points gained etc is valid and screams of someone not good enough. Talk of a mystical starting 11 is ridiculous, especially when cloaked in some confidentiality to protect players that may or may not read this board.

The last 3 matches have been against, a team we would have over taken had we won. A team below us who have overtaken us, both st home. And defeat against the worst team in league one.
We failed to score in 270 minutes and have conceded 6. We’ve looked abject. This is down to one man. Robinson.
His team, his picks, his mistakes.

I don't see KR leaving any time soon. Tiger has so far demonstrated that at best you describe his management style as ineffective and more honestly I am not sure he gives a toss for the club (FFS he still thinks we can reach the playoffs). Add to that the fact that KR is always talking up his part in running the club with Tiger (I just hope this is BS) and nothing looks like he will go anytime soon.

But what if he did? I personally do not have any faith in tiger acting quickly enough to appoint a replacement. Plus I do not trust him to go after the right sort of manager to save us. Add to that I think the right time to change the manager has already gone. The club needed to act before the window to give the new manager time to recruit. Now if a new manager did come in in all likelihood it will be to manager the existing players.

What of the players? We do have the basis for a decent first 11. Beyond that the cupboard is empty. Even then we have question marks over the ability to keep that first 11 fresh and fit enough to see us through (and that's before the potential fatal loss of any of them in the transfer window). As for new players this window we need battlers with a strong temperament. I am not sure that our targets so far meet that.

It strikes me that the club is in some form of denial regarding our predicament. We are still looking at plays offs, pretty football, and wow signings (or yet more youth to develop) instead of the hard relegation battle we now need to fight. We have a manager who may have lost the plot and an owner who appears out of his depth.

I just hope that we survive Jan with performances returning to those of a couple of weeks ago, our first 11 mostly intact and a few good new signings. Do that and we could be safe come the end of the season. I really do not want to look any further than that right now.

It always amazes me that the two journalists that openly post on here never want to actually disclose anything! Lots of dropping hints but never any real substance. It's very clear that you don't like Robinson, and to base that on his performance as manager is fair enough. But to keep harking back to a mystical ideal starting 11 that somehow defines his ability to pick the best team is bizarre. It takes only a few seconds to flick through the players section or match day threads to see that pretty much every Oxford player, and those who may or may not join us have been ripped apart by someone. So to hold back on upsetting someone is ridiculous. Also, if this starting 11 is displayed so readily for 'guests' to see, isn't also fairly likely that the same players you are aiming to protect have also seen this? Without knowing what was on the board, it is difficult to judge it's relevance, but on the surface it does appear to be one of the strangest reasons to doubt Robinson's ability to manage.
I literally just told you why I don’t want to put it up here. I don’t for one single second believe that he leaves that team on that board for anyone to see whenever they want, because my trip to that training ground was a PR exercise. A scheduled, planned PR exercise set up by him to try to win fans over, so he could get them in, show them how brilliant he is, and send them walking away singing his praises. And do you know what? A few of the people who went in there did exactly that. But then a lot of people can be bowled over pretty easily by a fake smile and some bullshit. There is no way that team stays on that wall 24/7 because he would lose every single player not in the starting eleven. It was designed to be displayed in his office for his visitors to see that day, namely me plus one, so that he could go “Look at the team I can’t put out because I’m so unlucky with injuries, how good would this team be?!” So no, I’m not putting the team up here, and that isn’t weird or bizarre, because he DOESN’T display it. And as for him saying he didn’t care what was put out publicly that day, including that, I don’t care because I feel it is wrong and that he is prone to rash comments and poor judgement in the heat of moments. We have all seen and heard this at times and I think that applies to some of what was said that day, so I am choosing what I believe, as a fan, is the right thing to keep quiet while he has to work with these players. I have already said why and have already said that the second he’s gone I’ll lay it all out.

As for your claims that I clearly have a personal problem with Robinson, you’re right, I do. He’s running my football club into the ground while trying to make out he’s some sort of brilliant manager who knows exactly what they’re doing. I’d have a huge problem with anybody who did that. Beyond that, no, he’s just someone I think is actually quite stupid, came across as very fake during my time with him, and who I think is bad for the football club that I have supported for some 25 years - one that like hundreds of others I spend probably a couple of grand a year watching home and away. It is nothing more than me believing with my whole heart that he is going to damage my football club badly, and I don’t like anybody who I feel is going to do that.

Striker recruitment in the summer was a shambles.

Yes Robinson has possibly been a little unlucky with injuries, but every club has to deal with injuries and suspensions.

It took far too long for Robinson to work out his best centrback pairing whilst moving Mousinho into the holding midfield role. We are now paying for that disastrous start to the season.

We have two midfielders playing at fullback ( in fairness they don’t look out of place) but surely Ruffels and Hanson were not expected to start regularly out of position?

Mousinho and Mackie have been run into the ground. It’s plainly obvious they need a break/rest.

My gut feeling is that Thanakarnjanasuth is a bit of a control freak, I suspect Robinson, our MD and others cannot always make the quick decisions they need to, to do their job well and without having to constantly refer.

Trust and delegate. If you can’t trust then bring in someone else. If you can’t delegate then you shouldn’t own a football club whilst living on the other side of the world.

Re - Robinson, nothing is going to happen quickly whilst Thanakarnjanasuth is running the show.

Well I did mean the Milton Keynes side he had in the playoffs 2 years in a row then 10th then the one he got promotion to the championship.so that's 3 good years plus a reasonable year.At Charlton he finished 13th after taking over in November and Robinsons team finished in the playoffs although he left in March of that year,so again at least reasonable years.
But above all that is the fact that theses 3 teams all want promotion to the Championship.
So no I didn't just judge him on 1 season.
You’re giving him Charlton getting into the playoffs when he left them around 10th, had the fans screaming for him to go as they couldn’t stand his football, and when a man who never managed before got them into the playoffs inside six weeks immediately after he went? You’re giving that to Robinson?! You absolute maniac. I love that. You utter maniac.

You judge the man on a couple of alright seasons out of nine, which all occurred years ago, and I’ll judge him on more than three consecutive years of constant failure and underachieving.

He left in March that year,so all the players used would've been the ones under Robinson,so Robinson team.Nice that you ignore getting into the playoffs and promotion though to promote your argument.Thats exactly why you don't come across as balanced in your view.

He left in March that year,so all the players used would've been the ones under Robinson,so Robinson team.Nice that you ignore getting into the playoffs and promotion though to promote your argument.Thats exactly why you don't come across as balanced in your view.
The fact that his team got into the playoffs without him proves that HE was the problem! HE was making them worse. How don’t you see you just dented your own argument? He was at Charlton for 15 months or so and moved them up the league three places in that time. Then Lee Bowyer comes in and moves them up four places in about a month and a half. Yet you’re giving KR the credit. It’s unvelievable.

I keep telling you, repeatedly, that I’m interested in more than three years of constant failure. I even gave you the England analogy to try to get across what I’m saying. Seemingly this is not working. So I will try one more time.

Karl Robinson, for the last three and a half years as a manager, has failed and underachieved. Anything he has achieved came long before that. He has, for more than three years - three CONSTANT years now - been a bad manager. He has spent more than three years to this day losing and falling short of his targets and expectations. For one third of a decade, straight, he has been a poor football manager. That is a very, very long time to fail across multiple clubs.

I don’t know how else to get this across. I feel like I’m going full Father Ted, trying to explain that toy cows are small but that the real ones out the window are simply far away.

Shouldn't we judge him on what he has done in his time with us? Particularly this season when he has assembled the squad? And if so - it simply isn't good enough.
Unfortunately, we are seemingly stuck not only with Robinson, but an owner whose motivations, plans, wealth and genuine interest in the long term future of our club are at best unclear, at worst a mixture of wishful thinking, braggadocio and "don't look behind the curtain".

You cant say everything he does is rubbish and ignore when he was a success,its not balanced.

Shouldn't we judge him on what he has done in his time with us? Particularly this season when he has assembled the squad? And if so - it simply isn't good enough.
Unfortunately, we are seemingly stuck not only with Robinson, but an owner whose motivations, plans, wealth and genuine interest in the long term future of our club are at best unclear, at worst a mixture of wishful thinking, braggadocio and "don't look behind the curtain".

Nothing wrong with that,im not defending that,im going against ryans point that Robinson has always been rubbish and hasn't got a clue when clearly he did and might well still do have clue about managing a football club.

You cant say everything he does is rubbish and ignore when he was a success,its not balanced.
Agree.. He did well start of career has hit impass, but if he spends well could hit mid table finish, maybe top half.
But expectation is high here with the huge money about apparently. On that basis wether anyone likes it or not if he gets to mid table he will still be here next season. When he might have a strengthened settled table topping squad.

Nothing wrong with that,im not defending that,im going against ryans point that Robinson has always been rubbish and hasn't got a clue when clearly he did and might well still do have clue about managing a football club.
Arguments like this are why Francis Jeffers kept getting professional football contracts. I’ve said the guy has been a failure for three and a half years and all you want to do is say I’ve said he’s always been awful, which I haven’t. I’ve said that over nearly a decade as a manager he has secured one promotion and that’s true. And even if he has had three good seasons, that is a 33% success rate. And what’s his win percentage as a manager over the last three and a half years? About 33%. So his poor win percentage is somehow a good success ratio. How that makes any sense I have no idea.

You clearly rate Robinson, and that’s fine. I don’t and I’ve explained why. Nothing I possibly say is going to mean anything because you’ve dug your heels in and set out your stall. Not a problem.

You didn't even want to mention the 2 playoff years and promotion year in your first few posts so it just shows how blinkered you are.I like Robinson far better than most of the managers weve had over the last 20 years,of course Appleton is by far the best weve had.

I literally just told you why I don’t want to put it up here. I don’t for one single second believe that he leaves that team on that board for anyone to see whenever they want, because my trip to that training ground was a PR exercise. A scheduled, planned PR exercise set up by him to try to win fans over, so he could get them in, show them how brilliant he is, and send them walking away singing his praises. And do you know what? A few of the people who went in there did exactly that. But then a lot of people can be bowled over pretty easily by a fake smile and some bullshit. There is no way that team stays on that wall 24/7 because he would lose every single player not in the starting eleven. It was designed to be displayed in his office for his visitors to see that day, namely me plus one, so that he could go “Look at the team I can’t put out because I’m so unlucky with injuries, how good would this team be?!” So no, I’m not putting the team up here, and that isn’t weird or bizarre, because he DOESN’T display it. And as for him saying he didn’t care what was put out publicly that day, including that, I don’t care because I feel it is wrong and that he is prone to rash comments and poor judgement in the heat of moments. We have all seen and heard this at times and I think that applies to some of what was said that day, so I am choosing what I believe, as a fan, is the right thing to keep quiet while he has to work with these players. I have already said why and have already said that the second he’s gone I’ll lay it all out.

As for your claims that I clearly have a personal problem with Robinson, you’re right, I do. He’s running my football club into the ground while trying to make out he’s some sort of brilliant manager who knows exactly what they’re doing. I’d have a huge problem with anybody who did that. Beyond that, no, he’s just someone I think is actually quite stupid, came across as very fake during my time with him, and who I think is bad for the football club that I have supported for some 25 years - one that like hundreds of others I spend probably a couple of grand a year watching home and away. It is nothing more than me believing with my whole heart that he is going to damage my football club badly, and I don’t like anybody who I feel is going to do that.

Excellent post. I would add that the owner is also bad for our club. The two together are proving to be a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom