Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is the best candidate from an interview process then nobody can really argue with it, can they.
Yes, I could.

An interview process isn’t objective, it’s subjective. Two different boards will quite possibly appoint two different candidates. It’s not like the questions are: ‘How fast can you run 100 metres? How many press-ups can you do?’ And you hire whoever has the highest answer. It’s much more nuanced than that, and someone who interviews well has only really shown you that they’re good at interviewing.

You believe it? Based on what?
Based on how close Williams and KR were, they would even drive back from games together.
I saw personally that there was a bond between them and they let KR go reluctantly.
Probably still in touch, why wouldn’t Williams ask KR about candidates?

It's crazy isn't it.

We're a shambles of a club under this board, they're a bunch of amateurs, who took an eternity to sack a moronic clown, who was not only taking us down, but was also bringing the clubs name into disrepute with his off field antics.

They're now taking an eternity to sign his replacement, whilst we slip into a relegation battle, and they're seemingly ignoring what the majority of the fanbase want, by not giving the job to MApp, at a time when such an appointment would be a huge and much needed positive boost for the entire OUFC community.

The contempt they've shown for us fans this season is disgusting, our opinions clearly don't matter to them.
👎👎👎

Manning has a very KR-like backstory. Didn't play professionally, came through coaching academy sides, etc. It may well be the sort of record that attracts our board,.

Craig Short throwing his 'hat into the ring' suggests this process is either far from being concluded or he's trying to cement an assistant role with whoever comes in. His job is in huge danger especially if the new manger brings his own staff in, assuming the club allow it.

No news come 5pm tomorrow will be extremely disappointing and if the uncertainty spills into the Derby game, the whole weekend could be a write-off.

The conversation I had last week said that 5 people had been interviewed and they were looking to interview the top 2 again this week. No mention was made at that time about others being spoken to. I asked about names and was told that because of the betting market they couldn't risk giving names. I said, "is it safe to say it's MApp and one other". The reply was "no, he's not expected to get a second interview."

I've had a couple of health issues over the last few weeks, and had a day in hospital this week, and surgery likely the week after next. So I haven't posted much and haven't spoken to this individual since the end of last week.

Simply put, I don't know the names of the final 2, or if anyone else spoken to this week has changed the picture. I was leaning towards Grant McCann, but Liam Manning is someone that we would have all loved to have had here if we were a year ago. Heard good things about his coaching style and development of players, but may be burnt by his experience this season.

Like others, I would expect an announcement this week and expected one today - but hopefully tomorrow to get things in place for some huge games coming up.
Hope it goes well Scotchers 👍

It could be a new name has muddied the water this week after an impressive interview/informal chat.

Did anyone check to see which country Tiger was flying to at the beginning of the week?

Manning & McCann.

2 appointments I’d probably accept in the summer.

Not the 2 managers I’d like near here in our current position. 3 points above the bottom four.

The board are playing a dangerous game.

Manning has a very KR-like backstory. Didn't play professionally, came through coaching academy sides, etc. It may well be the sort of record that attracts our board,.
It sounds like he has the gift of the gab as well, which our board are clearly suckers for

Based on how close Williams and KR were, they would even drive back from games together.
I saw personally that there was a bond between them and they let KR go reluctantly.
Probably still in touch, why wouldn’t Williams ask KR about candidates?
Let’s say he did. Unless you think Karl would want to ruin his reputation (and his alleged bromance with TW) even further by recommending a dud, what’s the harm? He’d be one voice among many.

Also, I’d be amazed if they sought his counsel. Talk about rubbing his nose in it.

It's crazy isn't it.

We're a shambles of a club under this board, they're a bunch of amateurs, who took an eternity to sack a moronic clown, who was not only taking us down, but was also bringing the clubs name into disrepute with his off field antics.

They're now taking an eternity to sign his replacement, whilst we slip into a relegation battle, and they're seemingly ignoring what the majority of the fanbase want, by not giving the job to MApp, at a time when such an appointment would be a huge and much needed positive boost for the entire OUFC community.

The contempt they've shown for us fans this season is disgusting, our opinions clearly don't matter to them.
The majority of the fan base? Have you done an extensive poll of Oxford supporters or are you solely counting the fanatics on here..ffs. Get a grip.

Let’s say he did. Unless you think Karl would want to ruin his reputation (and his alleged bromance with TW) even further by recommending a dud, what’s the harm? He’d be one voice among many.

Also, I’d be amazed if they sought his counsel. Talk about rubbing his nose in it.
Just a feeling I have having witnessed them together that although Williams had to fire the bullet they are still on speaking terms and even friends

Being a former top player is no guarantee of managerial success, of course. Even players as great as Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore fell short - although the latter did manage in Oxford!

But going to the top as a player is often a sign of unusual drive and footballing intelligence, not just natural talent.

And I don't believe that experience at this level is an absolute must. Scouts can advise on where to find players. I think it's possible that the right person COULD be a first-time manager - even at this level, even in a relegation dogfight.

Martin Keown has watched this team, is up for a scrap, and actually I think he could inspire the players. It may not seem like it now, but he's overcome bigger challenges.

He's perhaps also more likely than most to agree to sign on until the end of the season and then see how it goes. Which might suit us.

I'm honestly NOT him, by the way! Although that's would I would say if I were.

Craig Short throwing his 'hat into the ring' suggests this process is either far from being concluded or he's trying to cement an assistant role with whoever comes in. His job is in huge danger especially if the new manger brings his own staff in, assuming the club allow it.
Sounded as if it happened a few days ago, from the sounds of the OM story.

No news come 5pm tomorrow will be extremely disappointing and if the uncertainty spills into the Derby game, the whole weekend could be a write-off.
Short for Head of Recruitment perhaps?

It's mad that people are still debating who it could be.. the one poster who consistently is truly ITK be it about signings and club goings on has said it's Manning.

been up at the jr with my old man in EAU - where he's been since yesterday-wifi there is not great ( pretty crap tbh).... most asked Q by the old man (not in the best condition atm) 7 times today - have we got a new manager yet?

it appears not (yet) then
Give him our best. Make sure he's getting plenty of attention from the nursing staff (female variety, of course!)

Manning couldn't be more different from Karl and I believe will be a breath of fresh air.

He's articulate, humble, and a man who understands accountability — there'll be no stripping of the captaincy to deflect blame. I'm excited by this appointment, and am grateful to MK, as if he'd been not been sacked less than a third of the way into the season I think there's a good chance we'd be one place closer to the relegation zone right now.

He's got a horrible task ahead of him, but I wouldn't trade our squad for any of those below us, and believe he can turn our fortunes around.

It's not the time for moaning about not hiring McCann or Appleton, him and the players need our backing now, we've got a massive couple of months ahead.

Liam Manning's Yellow Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom