Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m worried about the Murty rumours and that his odds are creeping down by the day… sacked after a very brief go at Rangers after being handed his a**e on a plate twice by Celtic - 4:0 & 5:0. No other real experience apart from youth academy work. A quick search on YouTube and he seems a bigger clown than our last incumbent . (Just google headstand…)

What worries me is, considering TW’s performance as CEO so far, can we trust him to get this right or are we in for another train wreck?
It seems like a Reading rag wrote a story about him being listen in the betting, which has then in turn seen his price come in. Nothing to see here (I hope)

Eastwood would be nowhere near the running for POTS for me. He’s made multiple errors, letting in some pretty soft goals and barely saving a long range effort. There was a period where if the opposition shot from outside the area and it was low and anywhere near either corner, it was a goal.

Sounds like Stevens last season. One of them has to be number 2 next season with a new GK coming in. Mcginty isn't the answer to me.

Eastwood would be nowhere near the running for POTS for me. He’s made multiple errors, letting in some pretty soft goals and barely saving a long range effort. There was a period where if the opposition shot from outside the area and it was low and anywhere near either corner, it was a goal.

And the player who hasn't had a rotter this season is?

It's slim pickings

I’m worried about the Murty rumours and that his odds are creeping down by the day… sacked after a very brief go at Rangers after being handed his a**e on a plate twice by Celtic - 4:0 & 5:0. No other real experience apart from youth academy work. A quick search on YouTube and he seems a bigger clown than our last incumbent . (Just google headstand…)

What worries me is, considering TW’s performance as CEO so far, can we trust him to get this right or are we in for another train wreck?

Some of the names being suggested are alarming not just Murty.

I really think we can't afford to go with an unknown and need to go down the boring route of bringing in Appleton, Critchley or Richardson.

Hardly unexpected, Mous rules himself out, but this is an interesting article anyway:

This doesn't fit with the narrative though of some on here, that no ex players have come out in support of him etc. Clearly Mous thinks highly of him.

I really think we can't afford to go with an unknown and need to go down the boring route of bringing in Appleton, Critchley or Richardson.
If the candidate shortlist is ever revealed and the likes of Fowler, Cowley, Murty are on there, I will be horrified. We cannot afford to make a bad or risky appointment in more ways than one.

If Michael Appleton came in and saved us from relegation, and got us challenging next season. Which is entirely possible with the backing he’d get. He will become OUFC royalty with other great names.

Why haven't we announced our new manager yet bloody Wycombe didn't take this long 🙄

#sacktheboard😜

I wonder if Des Buckingham will be interviewed by Zoom. Could be a quick appointment.
It will be interesting to see the team for Saturday and the welcome Mapp gets if appointed…both at Lincoln and the following week

Are you 100% sure on Eastwood's position being a priority?

The only reason Oxford haven't been on the wrong end more 3-0 this season is thanks to Eastwood's saves.

If I had to pick my player of the season right now it would probably be from Bate, Brown, Eastwood and Goodrham

Don't get me wrong, every position needs to be changed in the mid-term just not sure about making Eastwood's position the priority ?
A bit disappointed with Eastwood. In several words, he saves the ones you don't expect him to save and doesn't save the one you'd expect him to save.🤔

Are you 100% sure on Eastwood's position being a priority?

The only reason Oxford haven't been on the wrong end more 3-0 this season is thanks to Eastwood's saves.

If I had to pick my player of the season right now it would probably be from Bate, Brown, Eastwood and Goodrham

Don't get me wrong, every position needs to be changed in the mid-term just not sure about making Eastwood's position the priority

We will stay up this year
The catastrophic downturn only started when Mous left and training became a mad round of 'running all day'
Mous previously took most of the training and was a moderating voice on the manager
The players really missed him but want to show the fans what they can do with a consistent and sensible approach from Shorty and whoever eventually comes in
That's so nice that the players, some on thousands a week, have now decided they want to show the fans what they can do. Really honourable of them to make this decision.

Didn’t realise that Murty left under such a cloud! Kenny Miller very scathing of him, says Murty made him a scapegoat and unceremoniously bombed him out in an act of self-preservation. Who does that remind you of..?!

I must confess the Murty thing concerns me a little too. Admittedly particularly because I’m taken with the romanticised idea of an Appleton return - but even putting MApp to one side, Murty is a dreadful candidate. However, his Tiger/Reading connection is significant and given that it’s apparent Tiger still has at least some influence on hiring/firing that is a rumour I really don’t want to keep gathering speed.

(And all of the above puts to one side the fact that the guy is a hero to the Berkshire plastics…)

I must confess the Murty thing concerns me a little too. Admittedly particularly because I’m taken with the romanticised idea of an Appleton return - but even putting MApp to one side, Murty is a dreadful candidate. However, his Tiger/Reading connection is significant and given that it’s apparent Tiger still has at least some influence on hiring/firing that is a rumour I really don’t want to keep gathering speed.

(And all of the above puts to one side the fact that the guy is a hero to the Berkshire plastics…)
Don’t make me even more anxious… just watching some of his post match interviews and his mannerisms remind me so much of KR… ☹️

Neil Lennon has been shocking anywhere other than Celtic. No thanks.
Agreed, and let’s face it, you’d have to be bloody useless to not have success at Celtic!

He also seems like he’s got a real chip on his shoulder, no thanks

I'd really like to see an interim boss appointed. I know a recruitment process could be carried out in a fortnight, but if we could just get to the end of the season with an interim then we might be able to see a fuller recruitment process completed.

However the problem with an interim appointment is the candidate pool is reduced.

If there is anyway MAPP would take it on an initial interim basis then that would be ideal. It may be that he is a good long-term option, but I think he could steady the ship in the short term and get buy in from the fans from day 1. An interim appointment works 2 ways, he could also check out the board and make sure it is the right option for him.

I'm not sure comparing how he started with us last time is that relevant this time around. It's a different scenario, and he is more experienced. More long-term someone like MAPP with an up and coming coach like Buckingham as a number 2 feels like a dream ticket. If MAPP does well again and moves on then someone like Buckingham can step up. I appreciate that someone like Buckingham may feel he is ready for a Div 1 role so that may be an issue. I think we need not only to replace Robinson, but we need a new number 2 with built in succession planning.

Maybe its the inner child in me but the chance for MAPP to become a long lasting hero of OUFC does appeal to me; he is up there already but could you imagine the love in if he got us to the Championship!!
Elek made a good point on the Dub this week that for MApp, having 12 games as interim works well for both parties.

MApp is coming into a totally different set up to previously with training ground, owners, players. After poor managerial selections at the start of his career he now chooses jobs based on ownership rather than club. MApp appointed interim would give him the opportunity to experience the club (whilst hopefully keeping us up!), whilst the club can also do the same before making a decision in the summer.

There are two jobs to be done. If we were safe, Buckingham would be an exciting choice - with the relegation element for the remainder of the season, instinctively would go with someone for experience. Buckingham would be an outstanding candidate, just maybe not at the moment.

Interesting none the less - what if we have a DoF lined up and they are putting some names forward? I think it's an attractive job that will see some impressive applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom