Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still reckon MAPP would do the business. We have got the nucleus of a good side that needs better coaching and playing in the right positions. They are low in confidence, probably since Mous left. Brannagan will be better under a good manager.
If we have Buckingham in too I’m certain this club will be on the up.
We don’t need the likes of Cotterill or Adkins coming in

One thing I've not seen mentioned in the MApp discourse is how the makeup of the squad will impact his immediate success. If you look at his slow start under us, I think it's widely accepted that he had a squad that simply could not play his brand of football, with Cambridge away the real trough of that experiment. He then brought in more technical players who could play the way he wanted them to and was successful. I think the players we currently have would be able to implement MApp's preferred style of play much more easily than the Neweys, Raynes and Collinses of the world. It might still take him a couple of games to get going (if it happens at all, of course), but I would really doubt that it would take him the better part of a season and a transger window to start getting results.

One thing I've not seen mentioned in the MApp discourse is how the makeup of the squad will impact his immediate success. If you look at his slow start under us, I think it's widely accepted that he had a squad that simply could not play his brand of football, with Cambridge away the real trough of that experiment. He then brought in more technical players who could play the way he wanted them to and was successful. I think the players we currently have would be able to implement MApp's preferred style of play much more easily than the Neweys, Raynes and Collinses of the world. It might still take him a couple of games to get going (if it happens at all, of course), but I would really doubt that it would take him the better part of a season and a transger window to start getting results.
I think that's right, we have a squad of generally skilful players that should be able to do better. We are handicapped though by a lack of size and experience - the likes of Henry, Bodin, Long, and Wildschut will need to step up.

I don't understand why Tiger should have a big, final say in who we bring in. Surely you would get a consultant or expert in the field to advise and make the best decision rather than an old connection at a former club. He's not exactly a football genius.
Am I missing something here? Does Elon Musk hire the cleaner?
I don't think that you are missing anything tbh.
Murty won't be appointed because Tiger knew him at Reading

I read an interview with him in one of the Sunday supplements recently. Arrogant and deluded. I've also heard that he went for a lower league job (could have been us?) and whereas all the other candidates were fully prepped, he didn't even know the names of the players. He was a great player, but great players very rarely make good managers,
I read that article, accompanied as it was buy picture of him staring longingly out of a bay window. I've always thought he's not as bright as he himself thinks he is - he see's himself as some sort of footballing visionary simply based on the fact he was a top class player. He might even top Robinson in the delusional stakes, which takes some doing.

Im undecided who I want.

Short term in getting us out of a relegation battle I wouldnt want Appleton but think long term he'd be a good fit as hes a project manager, Wilder would get us out of the mix but cant see him wanting to come here and not sure hed stay long if was permanent

Lennon (and im a huge Celtic fan) is a no from me a divisive and odious character that we would be wanting out within 6-8 months

Critchley id have said yes but was poor at QPR
QPR are a mess though. They never give a manager time & it wasn’t really Critchley’s players either. I think he’d have enough here to keep us up.

That’s the nub of it. Do we want someone to keep us in league 1 or someone to get us out of league 2
I think Appleton can do the former. He did have a slow start when he joined us first time round but the technical ability of that squad was woeful.

Our squad are down on confidence but we do have some very gifted footballers in Brannagan, Bate, Mcguane, Browne, Bodin, Henry, Murphy (if he shows up), Goodhram etc. I think they're all very Appleton type players and he'd get better out of them, hopefully enough to stay up at least. A couple of them lack pace but that didn't stop him utilising Maguire so effectively.

He'll need to sort us out defensively first though which is still the biggest concern for me. Clean sheets = points, that's the key to staying up this season.

I have faith in him getting more out of the technical players but that defence needs stability, consistency and confidence.

If Appleton is as good as some are saying should Blackpool be in the relegation zone?

Depends on where Blackpool's budget sits in the championship. They were trying to play cheapskate with Cam's release cause so I reckon they are neither under or over achieving.

If Appleton is as good as some are saying should Blackpool be in the relegation zone?

Discount Critchely too then because QPR are free falling towards relegation. I don't think being in the relegation zone, or near it, necessarily equals incompetent manager. In some cases, yes, but a bit like Robinson, I think Appleton has enough credit in the bank to be excused an indifferent season.

Yeah probably - a decimated squad that was one of the cheapest in the league to start with. There is a question mark though around how well Appleton’s methods transfer to the Championship, the best loanees from the PL academies will always have a bigger impact at L1 level. I’m not sure we’d need to worry about that issue for a while anyway.

Imagine what MAPP would have done with Karl's budget. He was the master of identifying great, young talent. Imagine what he could unlock with double the budget he had.

My head says never go back and try to recreate a great thing. But then I remember that game against Carlisle, the Swansea win, the way we were being talked about in the press at the time.

Mapp gave us the best Oxford United there has ever been during my lifetime. If he wants it he should get it.
I agree, we were a serious no nonsense club under Appleton, and it was a shame Eales couldn’t finance things any further, as given his history with dodgy new owners, MApp decided to move on.

I genuinely believe if the money hadn’t have run out when it did, he would’ve got us to the Championship in the next season or two.

I’d love to see him return, and with serious financial backing, and given time to build, it could be a case of picking up where we left off, with genuine ambition.

If it can’t be MApp though, I’d take a punt on Des Buckingham, a young up and coming manager, who knows the club.

Exciting times!

Be interesting to see what unemployed managers are in the stands at Lincoln on Saturday.
We need to send an undercover agent into the home stand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom