Away Match Day Thread 30/09/2023 L1: Stevenage v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I thought that was all rather stellar. A few observations from watching iFollow:

+ when I saw the starting line up I confess I liked it. It allowed us to play more physical players in our last third whilst still having the ability to play football and counter attack with the wing back

+ It also meant that when the marauding Stevenage kept pumping in cross after cross, long ball after long ball, the three center backs didn’t get physically or mentally drained as they were on rotation and they could mop up huge numbers of second balls

+ we look so well prepared for every eventuality. Their corners I loved how our big guys were all free to own space and the little guys were there merely as disruptive blockers . I like how we take our time to ready ourselves when we need to

+ I don’t ever recall seeing such a direct team . They apparently have approx less than two passes on average for each attack that creates a chance which is lowest in division . I can see why. I can also see how it’s effective. I’m baffled that they don’t have a massive bulldozer up top. My memory of kane h is that he was a fox in the box.

+ a few folks pre match say evans teams can play football. I’m going to contest that. Horrible to watch. But the mastery of the blocking off the ball is impressive. The referee literally appeared to think that was too hard to manage so let them get on with it

+ the strength in depth of our squad is great. But mannings coaching, despite our big budget, shouldn’t be underestimated. I realise nobody is underestimating it but ….. 7 out of 10 outfield starters were on last seasons squad. Two of the subs were too

+ our general sense of calm as a squad. We seem to be very immune to shithousery. Moore is incredibly calm as a leader. Sometimes it annoys me we don’t get more aggro…but boy today if I’d have been playing my mindset would have been way off as I reacted to everything. Our guys just suck it all up. We won’t get huge numbers of suspensions this year. Who wants to be suspended on a squad where it’s so hard to win a place on the team . Only Tyler looked properly agitated today

+ the togetherness of that squad is obvious. I watched the fifa video (which was good fun) and I was drawn to the fact that four new boys were all clearly enjoying each others company and knew their team mates so well. End of game today you could see buckets of it

Yesterday’s attendance of 5,512 was the seventh largest home league attendance in the history of Stevenage FC since it was formed in 1976.

Last edited:
It's very clear that now the team go into every game with a mentality of "we can beat anyone", that alone goes a long way because even when we go a goal behind they still believe the game is theirs.

I think the Port Vale loss will actually help us out massively over the season, we learned a valuable lesson about what happens when you lose your head and don't stick to the game plan.

Just because we have won these games does not mean we cannot improve.
Bodin has been ok but Harrus adds another dimension to our attack.
Harris in for me
Absolutely.

If Harris had been up front yesterday, he’d would’ve had a field day against their pace-less centre-backs. Bodin has had a good season thus far, but he doesn’t have the pace to play up front ahead of Harris.

I also think it needs to be remembered that we’re playing Saturday - Tuesday. After a lot of players absolutely ran their hearts out, expecting them to go again with only two full days rest is a bit harsh, I don’t see any problem with rotating the side a bit at home against a team we really should be beating

I also think it needs to be remembered that we’re playing Saturday - Tuesday. After a lot of players absolutely ran their hearts out, expecting them to go again with only two full days rest is a bit harsh, I don’t see any problem with rotating the side a bit at home against a team we really should be beating
And we will need Harris to be up to speed by the time the games start coming really thick and fast at the end of the month.

F7TClfsXwAAw9ak

TUESDAY’S FIXTURES include :

Oxford U v Shrewsbury Town
Portsmouth v Wycombe Wanderers
Bolton Wanderers v Stevenage
Carlisle U v Peterborough U
Bristol R v Port Vale
Cambridge U v Barnsley

F7SX06cWcAAdldA

TUESDAY’S FIXTURES include :

Oxford U v Shrewsbury Town
Portsmouth v Wycombe Wanderers
Bolton Wanderers v Stevenage
Carlisle U v Peterborough U
Bristol R v Port Vale
Cambridge U v Barnsley

F7SX06cWcAAdldA

Wycombe getting a draw at Pompey isn’t that unlikely, think the new manager there is trying to move away from Ainsworth type football but they must still have a bit of that gritty but dull style leftover, so we could be top afterwards if we win.

Wycombe getting a draw at Pompey isn’t that unlikely, think the new manager there is trying to move away from Ainsworth type football but they must still have a bit of that gritty but dull style leftover, so we could be top afterwards if we win.
I know we can only win our own games but looking at those fixtures we have a much easier game on paper the chasing pack. Stevenage holding Bolton to a draw would be a great result.

Last edited:
I know we can only win our own games but looking at those fixtures we have a much easier game on paper the the chafing pack. Stevenage holding Bolton to a draw would be a great result.
Nobody likes a chafing pack.

But yes, I agree that it looks easier on paper and both Stevenage and Wycombe have a decent shout of getting something out of their games.

Murphy and Harris to start v Shrews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom