Away Match Day Thread 19/08/2023 - L1: Barnsley v OUFC

Who was your Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The forced substitution of Negru may well be a blessing in disguise. He has talent in bundles. I look forward to him and Moore solidifying their partnership in the centre of defence.
Similar to the Luke McNally situation a couple of years ago, youngster from Ireland, got his chance through injury to another experienced centre back and has grasped it 100%. I think Negru is superb, let’s get him a new deal now, he deserves it and the club need him on a long term deal.

I've not read through this thread so apologies if its already been mentioned, but absolute quality from O'Donkor for the 3rd goal, he's definitely worthy of a place in the squad and like Tyler will keep improving staying around it. People asking for a physical centre forward to come in, I'm not saying he's anywhere near the finished article but definitely has the potential, I can't see how going out on loan (like some suggested) would be more beneficial just for the sake of potentially playing more minutes, him training around our players/coaches can only be a good thing IMO.

I've not read through this thread so apologies if its already been mentioned, but absolute quality from O'Donkor for the 3rd goal, he's definitely worthy of a place in the squad and like Tyler will keep improving staying around it. People asking for a physical centre forward to come in, I'm not saying he's anywhere near the finished article but definitely has the potential, I can't see how going out on loan (like some suggested) would be more beneficial just for the sake of potentially playing more minutes, him training around our players/coaches can only be a good thing IMO.
Agree, the defender was backing off for fear of being outmuscled, and that little touch from Gats to bring it down had them backing off. The little flick through and Tyler is running on. Ball took an age to cross the line but we were up and cheering straight away! What a week it has been!! COYY's!!

Similar to the Luke McNally situation a couple of years ago, youngster from Ireland, got his chance through injury to another experienced centre back and has grasped it 100%. I think Negru is superb, let’s get him a new deal now, he deserves it and the club need him on a long term deal.
I hope his agent doesnt make the same mistake that McNally's made of getting a transfer to the Championship a year too early. The missed six months of football can never be replaced.
He may end up short term richer but I am not sure it is the best long term career move.
Negru potentially will be the best defender, he is calm composed quick and has that innate desire to want to defend. He reminds me of watching Mark Wright who literally grew in front of our eyes and is still the only Oxford player I said will play for England and obviously did.
Negri obviously won't play for England but will become a Premiership player if his progression continues unabated.

Last edited:
I was pretty downbeat after the first 2 games, because what I had seen in pre season was ultimately top draw for a league 1 side.
Massive credit to the players because this isn't going to be easy for them. The demands from manning regarding style and intensity means there will be times where we don't reach the standards we want, but by christ, they've swept derby and Barnsley aside and to be honest, if 2 or 3 big players are arriving shortly, we have lots to be excited about!

The McNally and Negru situations are examples of why I don’t trust fans who when there is a selection debate on here say ‘Trust the management! They see the players in training every day, they know who should be playing or not!’

Management saw McNally and Negru in training but didn’t think they warranted a start - but as soon as they were thrown into the action they immediately proved amongst our best players and became undroppable.

The McNally and Negru situations are examples of why I don’t trust fans who when there is a selection debate on here say ‘Trust the management! They see the players in training every day, they know who should be playing or not!’

Management saw McNally and Negru in training but didn’t think they warranted a start - but as soon as they were thrown into the action they immediately proved amongst our best players and became undroppable.
It happens everywhere, by definition managers don't change unless you have to, bringing a untried person into a role is always a risk no matter how good they have trained. I can imagine the reaction here if Negru or McNally had nightmare starts and that does happen. People react differently under pressure, some thrive on it, others it eventually destroys.
The right way is if they take their chance they stay in place and they and we progress.
What is has done has given us more potential options because Thorniley has played left back and wing back I believe. We will have injuries and exhaustion it is an occupational hazard of the style of play that Manning demands.

I was pretty downbeat after the first 2 games, because what I had seen in pre season was ultimately top draw for a league 1 side.
Massive credit to the players because this isn't going to be easy for them. The demands from manning regarding style and intensity means there will be times where we don't reach the standards we want, but by christ, they've swept derby and Barnsley aside and to be honest, if 2 or 3 big players are arriving shortly, we have lots to be excited about!
Agree- I was very downbeat after Cambridge. It was almost as bad as the rubbish we saw in the last six months under KR, but the last two away games have been tremendous.

I can't see Thorniley getting his place back. Negru has got what it takes physically, and seems very calm. Not quite got the pace of McNally, but quick enough. Agree with the comments about players moving too soon, but I'm not too sure if anyone on this forum would turn down a 5x (?) improvement in salary. So you can see why they do move on.

Cambridge being top makes me a feel a whole lot better about the opener too. good season ahead?

Back
Top Bottom