Away Match Day Thread 19/08/2023 - L1: Barnsley v OUFC

Who was your Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A win would be fantastic. I will be happy with a draw.
But the team is capable of giving us a hard fought win.

This team seem to have something at the moment that was previously lacking, the balls for the fight and the sense not to sit on a 1 nil lead away from home and try to see it out for 50 minutes.
That 2nd at Derby was so important

But, the habit of conceding just after a substitution still needs eradicating.

Score first and we can win this

Come on OXFORD

This will be a bigger challenge than Derby, going to need another full 90 minute performance like Tuesday to get the points. We are certainly capable of winning. COYY

• React
Reactions: Jox
I'm weirdly not too fussed about the result today. I'm more interested in seeing evidence that Tuesday night wasn't a flash in the pan performance, and that we can replicate it going forward. Particularly because, after Charlton next Saturday, we have what looks to be a very favourable run of games against teams you would expect to be mid-table or relegation candidates. Our next (on paper) game against a playoff contender would be Blackpool in mid-October. Show that we can play like we did against Derby regularly and I'll be happy, regardless of whether Barnsley nick a win or draw.

That said, win this and I won't be able to stop myself getting stupidly optimistic for the season ahead. Winning at Pride Park and Oakwell are the kinds of results that promoted teams get. Granted both clubs seem to be in a bit of a weird place at the moment, but they are still both big outfits in this league and have masses of individual quality. It would be an extraordinarily impressive week.

I'm going to go for a 1-1 draw (Browne to get off the mark). Would absolutely take that.

I wouldn't write off Bristol Rovers. Splashing some cash and a possible destination for Johnson Clarke-Harris. On paper, they should be really good this season.
True. It is at home, though. I’d still class it as a game we should win. Stevenage away also looking increasingly tricky as they keep on winning. But still, if we can continue playing like we did on Tuesday night, come the Blackpool game you’d expect us to be in the playoff places at the very least.

I wouldn't write off Bristol Rovers. Splashing some cash and a possible destination for Johnson Clarke-Harris. On paper, they should be really good this season.

Charlton next week have surely got to be a play off contender aswell.

True. It is at home, though. I’d still class it as a game we should win. Stevenage away also looking increasingly tricky as they keep on winning. But still, if we can continue playing like we did on Tuesday night, come the Blackpool game you’d expect us to be in the playoff places at the very least.
I'd never be confident against an Evans team, regardless of the table. Right up there with Westley in terms of shithousery.

Charlton next week have surely got to be a play off contender aswell.

The OP referenced Charlton; I edited the quote.

Already in Sheffield as going for a pre-match walk in the hills. So far: Cambridge = optimistic, terrible weather, bad loss. Derby = pessimistic, great weather, good win. Barnsley = optimistic, great weather... Score draw?

COYY I am gona get work done hopefully be back for 3 looking for a Derby performance not a Cambridge one!. If we can get anything from this game will be a great week. Barnsley will be a tough ask though we have always struggled there if we win this will be a great start to the season. Same again boys!!!!

I'm weirdly not too fussed about the result today. I'm more interested in seeing evidence that Tuesday night wasn't a flash in the pan performance, and that we can replicate it going forward. Particularly because, after Charlton next Saturday, we have what looks to be a very favourable run of games against teams you would expect to be mid-table or relegation candidates. Our next (on paper) game against a playoff contender would be Blackpool in mid-October. Show that we can play like we did against Derby regularly and I'll be happy, regardless of whether Barnsley nick a win or draw.

That said, win this and I won't be able to stop myself getting stupidly optimistic for the season ahead. Winning at Pride Park and Oakwell are the kinds of results that promoted teams get. Granted both clubs seem to be in a bit of a weird place at the moment, but they are still both big outfits in this league and have masses of individual quality. It would be an extraordinarily impressive week.

I'm going to go for a 1-1 draw (Browne to get off the mark). Would absolutely take that.
Exactly how I feel. If we get anything out of this the teams confidence will be riding high but we need to make sure we perfom against the more ordinary teams.

Last edited:
The players must be on a high after seeing off Derby like that.
So provided that we have no tired legs out there can we dare to dream of dishing out another masterclass??

We are Oxford United though!😬

Quitely confident a win would be brilliant, a draw not too shabby , I fancy a 1-2 away win

I would’ve taken a 3 point haul from the the Derby and Barnsley games, so anything gained today will be a welcome bouns.

As others have said it doesn’t feel like a particularly strong league this season, so my gut feeling is there’s going to be a fair amount of inconsistency even amongst those who are serious promotion contenders.

Having said that, I imagine Barnsley away will be one of the toughest matches of the season.

COYY!

Take any draw play well and build more confidence and maybe news of a definite signing let's keep the good feeling going .

Back
Top Bottom