Away Match Day Thread 19/08/2023 - L1: Barnsley v OUFC

Who was your Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was both born and an a fan during the Jim Smith era. Not sure what a happy Monday's view is, but I'm glad that we were able to Step On and I recall many people at Wembley with the yellow and blue Kinky Afro's along with the hats with horns!!

Long's distribution may well have been his nemesis at times. Equally, his commitment and fight often means that he rescues situations that others wouldn't necessarily get to. My point is that we are seeing the beginning of a really strong and cohesive team where everyone covers for each other, and that is a huge positive.
There is much I can agree with in your reply, and I love his, and Brown’s commitment. Definitely some exceptionally solid foundations seem to be coming together (well done Manning and the Board for their support), but to be that something special we all desire at the end of the season, a ruthless streak is necessary and full backs is one area that can be built upon. Notwithstanding competition for Harris and GO’D.

Anyway, to get six points when I expected zero, one at best, is a remarkable achievement and well done to all involved. You’ve done us proud and let’s keep it going with some great signings in the coming days to keep up the momentum (and fingers crossed reference Browne).

It’s not these games I worry about with him, it’s games like we have coming up where teams will be more withdrawn.
Absolutely, even with a new LB, games like today would always be more suited to someone like Brown. Getting a more attacking LB doesn't mean Brown no longer plays, this is what some people seem to fail to understand

Brilliant start to the season. Only slight worry is that we are racking up injuries - hope that doesn't derail the season. 4 games in and Thorniley and Browne out already.

Mills actually struggled today but came up with the match-winning moment. That second goal put us bang in control at the perfect time. Didn’t quite play out as comfortably as it could’ve been but it was a massively important moment to get the second and it was all him. Brilliant moment for him.
Agree was actually thinking browne was poor before he won us the pen then was thinking the same about Mills before his top notch run.

They don't even need to be more attacking, just more comfortable on the ball. Long especially gave it away severally times today, it didn't cost us but it could have. I doubt we'll sign another right back with Stevens here too but as good as he's been defensively we could do with a better ball player back there.
It was comedy gold when long went on a bit of a run and tried to pass it backwards but mishit forwards to Mills who promptly passed it out of play.

I hope to be there. Wear an Oxford top and I'll be able to figure out which lino you are.

BTW. Today's linos were both quite active at flagging fouls. And the ref was about 7 foot tall.
I tell you what, I’ll do my pre-match warm-up in an Oxford top before switching to my ‘FA Elite official’ top, and then disappointing everyone with my less than elite performance

Let's not talk about individual performances, was a team united as one.

Just get out and support them home and away

Get a feeling it's going to be a season we will not forget
COYY

Let's not talk about individual performances, was a team united as one.

Just get out and support them home and away

Get a feeling it's going to be a season we will not forget
COYY
Believe we were asked. Who Was Your Man Of The Match

Are too many players looking too good coming up to the transfer deadline? Maybe Robinson's 'we're sh*t' approach was the most pragmatic after all! *

*joke

Interesting reading the Derby and Barnsley fans forums where both have a reference to their sides making us look like Barcelona! We should take the compliment even if it was not intended as such!

Nb: Whilst the Derby site had some reasonable, balanced individuals, the Barnsley site appears neanderthal!

Last edited:
BTW. Today's linos were both quite active at flagging fouls. And the ref was about 7 foot tall.

That makes a pleasant change. So often I wonder why linesmen haven’t flagged for fouls. Do they not see them or does the referee overrule them?

9 points in a week, incredible, well done OUFC. Must be quite a long time since we achieved that.

After the first two games who’d have thought it? Even after the Carlisle game when we struggled for long periods to find some rhythm before winning 1-0, the weeks achievements seemed a long way off and something of a dream. I probably would have taken a single point from the combined away games after that match.

Suddenly everything has clicked, we look like a team, everyone sticking together, working very hard for one another, and winning the battles to earn the right to play our attractive brand of football at the right moments in games. It’s been a brilliant week, and completely rejuvenated enthusiasm and suddenly now expectation levels have increased to what we hoped for. Fantastic!

COYY

That makes a pleasant change. So often I wonder why linesmen haven’t flagged for fouls. Do they not see them or does the referee overrule them?
Referees on YF can probably answer that with the current rules or laws etc ... the way I understand it ( I I may very likely be mistaken) is that the referee instructs his (or her) assistants on what the require from them, some referees for instance only want thrown ins and offside

personally, and especially as the officials at league level are linked these days, I think referees should be instructed by the FA to accept all the assistance their assistant referees can give them, as in the theFA should stop referees limiting the assistance they are given

9 points in a week, incredible, well done OUFC. Must be quite a long time since we achieved that.

After the first two games who’d have thought it? Even after the Carlisle game when we struggled for long periods to find some rhythm before winning 1-0, the weeks achievements seemed a long way off and something of a dream. I probably would have taken a single point from the combined away games after that match.

Suddenly everything has clicked, we look like a team, everyone sticking together, working very hard for one another, and winning the battles to earn the right to play our attractive brand of football at the right moments in games. It’s been a brilliant week, and completely rejuvenated enthusiasm and suddenly now expectation levels have increased to what we hoped for. Fantastic!

COYY

February 2022 was the last time we won 3 in a row. More recent than it felt! 4 in a row isn't unachievable either.

Back
Top Bottom