Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUB: GOD

• SUB: Smyth

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • SUB: Mills

• Total voters
Just been told an amusing anecdote from pre-match on Saturday. Apparently an OUFC supporter, on his own, was outside F&Bs when approached by 4 or 5 Bristol youths who were keen to involve themselves in a bit of pavement dancing. The lone OUFC supporter advised them that he wanted no trouble, they persisted in jeering and taunting. He advised them again that their actions were perhaps an error. They continued. He then reached into his pocket and produced his warrant card and advised them, again, that their actions were not a good idea!! Needless to say, the idiots retreated rather rapidly.

I've seen Al-Hamadi a few times (I have AFCW mates and go if I can't get to one of our games). He's got all the necessary - quick, aggressive and a physical presence. He'd still be a punt, though. Bombed at Wycombe, but a lot of L1/Championship clubs are looking at him because he has potential. Langstaff is the profile of player we shouldn't touch imo. He's played most of his career non league for a reason. The only player in the last 30+ years who's come out of non league (late- ie mid-20's) and played in the PL is Vardy. And that was specifically because EFL clubs wouldn't touch him until he'd sorted out his off field issues. Lack of pace is normally the reason non league forwards stay non league. Vardy was lightning quick.

I mean there's been a few others that have come out of non-league to play in the PL - Aaron McLean, George Boyd, Dwight Gayle were all still non-league players when they were 23 or so. Obviously none of them were Vardy's class, and they were all a couple of years younger than Langstaff when they made it to the football league for the first time......but then none of them scored 40+ goals in a single conference season either (because noone has!)

I wouldn't say no to Langstaff as a player. I'd just say no to him because Notts County will likely ask for an absurd amount of money for him.

I mean there's been a few others that have come out of non-league to play in the PL - Aaron McLean, George Boyd, Dwight Gayle were all still non-league players when they were 23 or so. Obviously none of them were Vardy's class, and they were all a couple of years younger than Langstaff when they made it to the football league for the first time......but then none of them scored 40+ goals in a single conference season either (because noone has!)

I wouldn't say no to Langstaff as a player. I'd just say no to him because Notts County will likely ask for an absurd amount of money for him.
Fair enough- I forgot about those three. McLean was the best opposition player I saw when we were in the Conference. Point remains though- they were all 22/23 when they made it to the EFL. Vardy was 25. Langstaff is nearly 27.

Back
Top Bottom