Away Match Day Thread 30/09/2023 L1: Stevenage v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very reassuring that after seeing how we struggle against teams who try to stifle us, Manning and Co have the tactical awareness and flexibility to figure out a way to deal with such teams, even if it means changing personal and formation to make it happen.
Interesting to hear Manning say in his post-match RadOx interview yesterday that the week's training had been "a bit chaotic". Odd comment, I thought, from one usually so measured. Then he went on to say that he thought that was how the game might pan-out a Stevenage play. Refreshing to hear (after Cambridge & PV) that he adapts quickly & is working out how to play teams that set out to upset rhythms. Also interesting to hear that 1 member of the coaching team spent all week analysing next weeks opponents (& had no hand in last week's training) & that every member of the squad & coaching team would receive today (presumably) an email outlining what was going to be the focus of training tomorrow so that everyone arrived prepared, knowing what to expect & able to 'hit the ground running" in the morning. How refreshing to hear of this sort of thing just quietly happening as a matter of course & not simply getting a load of embarrassing, myopic ramblings as endured in past campaigns.

Interesting to hear Manning say in his post-match RadOx interview yesterday that the week's training had been "a bit chaotic". Odd comment, I thought, from one usually so measured. Then he went on to say that he thought that was how the game might pan-out a Stevenage play. Refreshing to hear (after Cambridge & PV) that he adapts quickly & is working out how to play teams that set out to upset rhythms. Also interesting to hear that 1 member of the coaching team spent all week analysing next weeks opponents (& had no hand in last week's training) & that every member of the squad & coaching team would receive today (presumably) an email outlining what was going to be the focus of training tomorrow so that everyone arrived prepared, knowing what to expect & able to 'hit the ground running" in the morning. How refreshing to hear of this sort of thing just quietly happening as a matter of course & not simply getting a load of embarrassing, myopic ramblings as endured in past campaigns.

It's easy to compare with our last manager because of how stark a contrast it is. I imagine there are a few on here feeling pretty justified/validated given we now have some proper context of how it could/should be.

With the right surroundings, I can really see Manning making it to the top. I'm already getting carried away enough to say we're getting promoted this season, so this doesn't feel like too far of stretch either.

Calm, calculated, fair. I love Liam Manning!

Forgot to mention in my post game comments yesterday and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Yesterday was the first league game we've overturned being behind in the game to end up winning at full time since January 14th against Fleetwood.

Must confess that I was one of those that looked at their squad in the week, saw their forwards were Hemmings, Reid & Roberts and thought "they can't be that route one with that front three"

How wrong I was - though a lot of the long balls were into the channels; it was effective at times, but you would have thought that they would be even better with a central striker like the one Cambridge had. Their second good spell in the game (after the first 15) coincided with them bringing a monster off the bench.

I hadn’t done much research except to hear others on here and listen to a podcast. But then I heard the shocking stat about # of passes to s**t creation ratio and was thinking there’s no way they can play football. It looked an exhausting afternoon for our three center backs hence me voting Moore motm rather than Leigh. They barely had a sniff. But it might have been a different story with a big monster like you say

Reading this thread and watching the votes for MotM roll in, it has perplexed me how anyone had voted for O'Donker.
Good to see him back, but surely he hadn't done enough in 11+ minutes to earn MotM.

Checked who voted for him...
Oh, must have clicked that by accident...

Reading this thread and watching the votes for MotM roll in, it has perplexed me how anyone had voted for O'Donker.
Good to see him back, but surely he hadn't done enough in 11+ minutes to earn MotM.

Checked who voted for him...
Oh, must have clicked that by accident...

I didn't realise you could find out who voted for what by clicking on the number of votes. Cheers!

Well I thought that was all rather stellar. A few observations from watching iFollow:

+ when I saw the starting line up I confess I liked it. It allowed us to play more physical players in our last third whilst still having the ability to play football and counter attack with the wing back

+ It also meant that when the marauding Stevenage kept pumping in cross after cross, long ball after long ball, the three center backs didn’t get physically or mentally drained as they were on rotation and they could mop up huge numbers of second balls

+ we look so well prepared for every eventuality. Their corners I loved how our big guys were all free to own space and the little guys were there merely as disruptive blockers . I like how we take our time to ready ourselves when we need to

+ I don’t ever recall seeing such a direct team . They apparently have approx less than two passes on average for each attack that creates a chance which is lowest in division . I can see why. I can also see how it’s effective. I’m baffled that they don’t have a massive bulldozer up top. My memory of kane h is that he was a fox in the box.

+ a few folks pre match say evans teams can play football. I’m going to contest that. Horrible to watch. But the mastery of the blocking off the ball is impressive. The referee literally appeared to think that was too hard to manage so let them get on with it

+ the strength in depth of our squad is great. But mannings coaching, despite our big budget, shouldn’t be underestimated. I realise nobody is underestimating it but ….. 7 out of 10 outfield starters were on last seasons squad. Two of the subs were too

+ our general sense of calm as a squad. We seem to be very immune to shithousery. Moore is incredibly calm as a leader. Sometimes it annoys me we don’t get more aggro…but boy today if I’d have been playing my mindset would have been way off as I reacted to everything. Our guys just suck it all up. We won’t get huge numbers of suspensions this year. Who wants to be suspended on a squad where it’s so hard to win a place on the team . Only Tyler looked properly agitated today

+ the togetherness of that squad is obvious. I watched the fifa video (which was good fun) and I was drawn to the fact that four new boys were all clearly enjoying each others company and knew their team mates so well. End of game today you could see buckets of it

Aye, well, there's not much sense in trying to deny that team were as anti-football as they come. I guess the Stevenage thing wins out.

I think Evans is a pragmatist in fairness. I'd maintain that historically his sides haven't always fitted the long-ball tag.

The most important point is that we dealt with it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom