Away Match Day Thread 13/09/22: L1 - Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think we can judge Anderson on 15 mins last night as he hardly touched the ball along with a number of his team mates! Lets give him a chance, maybe he is the answer to something on the right hand side whether it be RWB or RB in a four....

And I totally agree, Longy is not a RWB, he is a right sided centre back at his best in a three. I want him in our team though for his heart, fight, loyalty and willingness to battle.

With the team that was out there tonight I get the feeling this massive budget might be bull, something doesn’t add up?

We're now paying Cam a ton. We're paying Josh Murphy a ton (and have had about 90 minutes worth of rusty-looking play to show for it). Findlay will be on a very good wage (he certainly was in Philadelphia), likely Browne, Wildschut and Baldock too.

I can easily see how our budget is bigger than last season, when we had the likes of Sykes & McNally giving us quality minutes on entry level-type contracts, and the likes of Williams and Forde giving us solid minutes on (likely) average League One deals.

We're now paying Cam a ton. We're paying Josh Murphy a ton (and have had about 90 minutes worth of rusty-looking play to show for it). Findlay will be on a very good wage (he certainly was in Philadelphia), likely Browne, Wildschut and Baldock too.

I can easily see how our budget is bigger than last season, when we had the likes of Sykes & McNally giving us quality minutes on entry level-type contracts, and the likes of Williams and Forde giving us solid minutes on (likely) average League One deals.
But if our budget has increased it’s hard to see that we’re spending it all.

Really this whole summer has been bizarre, and no one has really been able to explain why.

Why? Are you saying the views of all of us who watched it on iFollow are less valid than those of any supporter that was there?
Because I can’t see how anyone watching that match, either live or on iFollow, could think that we weren’t by far the inferior team, as that seemed to be your implication. Sorry; yes, we were battered.

Because I can’t see how anyone watching that match, either live or on iFollow, could think that we weren’t by far the inferior team, as that seemed to be your implication. Sorry; yes, we were battered.
I agree, we were absolutely battered! For most of the game! And we were lucky to only concede one. Yes we could have scraped a draw but that would have been unfair on Argyle who were far superior. And the problem is KR cant see it! Not sure what game he sees from the side lines most weeks but its often not what we see!

I agree, we were absolutely battered! For most of the game! And we were lucky to only concede one. Yes we could have scraped a draw but that would have been unfair on Argyle who were far superior. And the problem is KR cant see it! Not sure what game he sees from the side lines most weeks but its often not what we see!

He says the crap as a way of trying to make some gullible people think that things are going okay and we are just unlucky. It's typical manager bullshit to try to save, or prolong, their own job.

We're almost 3 weeks into September and I find myself agreeing with people that have written off the season already. What a frustrating 6 months it's been to be an Oxford fan. Robinson is calling for patience as after MK we start getting players back, well patience is now in short supply.
MK, Charlton and us, the early season stutterers in regards to the playoff hunt. MK Saturday. I really don't want to think of what it'll be like on here if we lose!

I know they wanted Championship football asap but they have bigger fish to fry. I was tongue in cheek to say he could still be here if we get relegated but I stand by what I said for this season. He will still be here for another transfer window but when it looks like we can’t get promoted March time he could be on his way.
Still feel the Stadium is the be all and end all for these guys and we should all hope for a good outcome because if not there is no club
Nothing convinces me that his job is under threat. Anyone who suggests otherwise is working purely on guesswork as we hear nothing from the owners. I’ve now heard it said today that Tiger is in fact still making the off field decisions as far as the club is concerned. If that is the case then KR can rest easy. He’s someone who does have a Tiger in his pocket! I find the rumour that he has already been offered a 2 year extension quite terrifying.

Well in the end it was damn close run thing. To paraphrase Wellington.

I am sure you have had similar matches but from the Argyle perspective after a fast start, the longer we went without a goal the more nervous it became as a watch. Even after the goal we, as no doubt you were, were simply stunned that Joseph managed to not hit the target. After that I don't think it ever looked like you were going to equalise. We could have scored more but if you don't you stand vulnerable to a sucker punch.

Taking the match in relation to our April encounter, the score was the same but the performance levels were miles apart. I know you have a hefty injury list but we have Miller, Grant and Bolton long term casualties and Mayor withdrawn feeling sick ( hence the dressing room sprint on being subbed I believe). Houghton and Wilson on the bench, Camara gone. In fact only five of the April team that started did the so last night. Shumacher and the unsung DOF Dewsnip have improved our bench immeasurably and so we have players that can come on and make a difference. As Ennis and Whittaker did.

The goal when it came was deserved, and having looked at the replays, from a home perspective I think Ennis is outside of the goalposts and in no way blocking Eastwoods view.....although a couple of defenders were. It was well struck but I have seen them saved. Like I say. Fine margins.

All your best work came from deep and through Maguane who was head and shoulders your best player ( apart from the smartly taken free kick that led to the equaliser). Oh wait no, he did miss. Again How?

You clearly missed Taylor as a focal point. I think we won almost every header in our half and most of the second balls. In the second half we tweaked to give Mumba more of an offensive role and he caused you problems with his pace. Ennis too meant the ball stuck further up the field which caused you problems. Hardie is great for stretching the pitch and creating space, but he had a mare in front of goal. Also Longwijk our loanee from Wolves gives us a better outlet on the right than Wilson. He appears languid but boy can he pick a pass, and he plays forward.

Our engine of Randell and Butcher also means we get possession and retain and recycle it better than last season. Mayor and Azaz/Whitaker then get to do their work in the last third when last season they Mayor was fetching and carrying more.

So we now have the top two in the next two games. whereas you have two home games that on paper are winnable. That takes us to the artificial ten games in and see where we are standard. We could be anywhere from top to seventh or eight....

Early days....

Two other things. Excellent turn out and impeccable observation of the minutes silence ( although to be fair I expected nothing less)

In honour of Karls Birthday we put away Sweet Caroline, although the replacement probably summed up his feelings. Just Can't Get Enough.

See you in February.
You’re summer seems to have gone in the complete opposite direction to ours. A clear and concise recruitment policy and a tweak in tactics that perfectly fits the personnel you have.

It’ll never catch on!

Seriously though, I did note the ‘Unsung DoF’ comment. Oh to have one of those instead of an omnipotent ‘Emperor of Football’

Nothing convinces me that his job is under threat. Anyone who suggests otherwise is working purely on guesswork as we hear nothing from the owners. I’ve now heard it said today that Tiger is in fact still making the off field decisions as far as the club is concerned. If that is the case then KR can rest easy. He’s someone who does have a Tiger in his pocket! I find the rumour that he has already been offered a 2 year extension quite terrifying.
You are a little way off the truth with that statement.

I am new to this group but have been a supporter for over 70 years, last night I watched the match on Ifollow, my main gripe was that we didnt wear our yellow shirts it was very difficult to distinguish the teams on television. I thought we are the yellows and were possible should wear our colours with pride. Rogies
I suspect.. don't know but perhaps they were aiming at a dark colour for the top rather than yellow or white given the events of the week

Sykes and Whyte gone - there was your pace. Signing unfit, injury prone players was the mistake (again) as was inadequate cover.. KR seems to have changed his mind on the formation he wants to play at least twice and doesn't have enough quality to play either system properly currently. As for loaning out Stevens instead of Eastwood - wasn't KR the manager at MKD when he loaned us his THIRD choice full back - George Baldock (really bad wan't he)! So he's got history. Injured players - you signed them KR, knowing (and ignoring) the risks. As for Jones - what a farce. If Baldock and Taylor can return shortly and stay fit that would make a huge difference (breath not being held).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom