Away Match Build Up 13/09/22: L1 - Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always look forward to playing plucky little Plymouth. They've been punching above their weight for a few years now and more power to them. It's great to see them become established in league one and I can't fault their fans- make a hell of a racket and salt of the earth types. I think our experience will shine through in the end, so I'm going 0-2 to Oxford.
Think your find they are bigger than us they certainly get bigger crowds

I think it’s safe to assume that it was a post with tongue firmly in cheek.

They’re a bigger club in terms of attendances and size of stadium, certainly at the moment.

Not sure they’re ‘bigger’ in other ways.

Major trophy? No.
Top flight football? Never.

Great away support, though.
I'm not sure how long we can claim that our three years in Div 1 in the 80s make us bigger than similar clubs with more fans. I mean, Carlisle were in Div 1 when I was a kid, and Wimbledon won the FA Cup!

I'm not sure how long we can claim that our three years in Div 1 in the 80s make us bigger than similar clubs with more fans. I mean, Carlisle were in Div 1 when I was a kid, and Wimbledon won the FA Cup!
It boils down to how ‘big’ is defined, and no one can claim to have that definition nailed.

Attendances vs success, or a combination of both.

The PL age and the ubiquitous television coverage also adds to the argument. A TV viewer abroad may believe that Bournemouth is a bigger club than Sheffield Wednesday, for instance.

For what it’s worth, I think that Plymouth is a bigger club than Oxford, though we’re the more successful club.

We have our history, but are not a big club (and certainly not nowadays, we haven't been in the top two leagues or beyond the quarter-final of a major trophy for a generation).

Neither are Plymouth, incidentally.

Afternoon...

So some stuff for you re the season so far and what has changed since last we met...

So we kept Cooper the Keeper, but lost Camara although we have recruited to replace him and the money was good ( until we found out a hefty chunk goes to the Creepy Crawleys...)

He had been injured in any case so hadn't played a single minute for us this season...so we are probably more relaxed now about his departure.

Since last season Shumacher has instigated a one up front and two number 10's, which started as Hardie as the lone striker and Mayor and Azaz ( Loan in from Villa), but in the last couple of games Ennis has started in the number 9 role and done well. Azaz has scored and assisted and Mayor is definitely better up the pitch where he creates problems. Hardie has learnt how to take pens in the off season and he and Ennis are also both scoring. We also have Whittaker on loan from the Swans who is gradually working out the system and that it does allow him to pass to green shirts rather than try and score every time.

the change means that Jephcott who plays best as part of a from two has gone from being One of Our Own to One of Our Loans ( at the Moonrakers with an option to buy). Cosgrove ( loan from Birmingham , derided by a number before he even kicked a ball for us) has played 15 minutes and scored twice....so has a better goal per minute ratio than Haaland!

Two centre mid/wing back regulars last season Grant and Houghton have been absent injured (Grant) and absent suspended Houghton so the midfield has been Randell and Butcher ( ex Stanley) with Houghton coins in more recently. Hoping for Grant back soon.

Wing backs are Joe Edwards ( you remember him of course) and Norwich loanee Bali Mumba....he is a dynamic forward thinking player and already has a goal and a couple of assists...but also a plethora of yellows ( and a pre season red!). The main difference here is that they are swapping sides from game to game so even we are not sure which side they will start....but it does allow us to adjust if one wing is being dominated.

Back three are Scarr ( solid as ever) in the middle, Galloway, feeling his way back after his terrible knee injury but looking class again, and for the last couple of games Longwijk, a Wolves loanee who is like a very casual Van Dijk a like....but good on the ball and presses well. Came in after the Charlton debacle and Wilsons red card and has retained his spot on merit. Gillesphey is the other left sided option and tends to get minutes as we ease Galloway back.

Results wise we are 3 to zip at home in the league and yet to concede. Away we have two wins including the 3-2 from 0-2 at Derby where frankly we played them off the park both halves, and two defeats...a dreadful 2-1 at Fleetwood where we should have at least drawn but conceded late, and an appalling 1-5 at Charlton where even though we pulled back to 3-1 from 3-0 down we were never at the races. Rak Sakhi, the Palace loanee showed we have a vulnerability to pace , although Galloway came on and seemed to solve that problem for us second half. He ( Rak Sakhi) was impressive.

No score prediction from me....I would say we are still punching above our weight, and it is likely we will score...so it just depends if you can get on the scoresheet as to what will happen. The new system is definitely making us more fluent going forward and we have goals from more than just Hardie. We have Pompey away and Ipswich at home after that , so that will be the traditional "ten games in and how is it all going review on PASOTI.

I'll be streaming from Kent .....it will be an odd atmosphere I think and that might impact the game but we can discuss that on Wednesday no doubt :)

Safe travels to those going down to Devon. And Happy Birthday Karl!

KR references Bodin scored a hat-trick and Joseph got one in a training game played Saturday morning.
Baldock, Moore, Murphy and Taylor referred to as closer to return. Still nothing said on Seddon's injury.
"one other one popped up today" - assume that means a new knock.

Take a point all day long!

Eastwood
Long Mousinho Findlay Brown
McGuane Gorrin Brannagan
Bodin Joseph Browne

Subs: McGinty, Golding, Bate, Henry, Jones, Goodrham, O’Donkor​

I can see us nicking this one. Just got that feeling. 2-1 with Bodin and Browne the scorers.

Afternoon...

So some stuff for you re the season so far and what has changed since last we met...

So we kept Cooper the Keeper, but lost Camara although we have recruited to replace him and the money was good ( until we found out a hefty chunk goes to the Creepy Crawleys...)

He had been injured in any case so hadn't played a single minute for us this season...so we are probably more relaxed now about his departure.

Since last season Shumacher has instigated a one up front and two number 10's, which started as Hardie as the lone striker and Mayor and Azaz ( Loan in from Villa), but in the last couple of games Ennis has started in the number 9 role and done well. Azaz has scored and assisted and Mayor is definitely better up the pitch where he creates problems. Hardie has learnt how to take pens in the off season and he and Ennis are also both scoring. We also have Whittaker on loan from the Swans who is gradually working out the system and that it does allow him to pass to green shirts rather than try and score every time.

the change means that Jephcott who plays best as part of a from two has gone from being One of Our Own to One of Our Loans ( at the Moonrakers with an option to buy). Cosgrove ( loan from Birmingham , derided by a number before he even kicked a ball for us) has played 15 minutes and scored twice....so has a better goal per minute ratio than Haaland!

Two centre mid/wing back regulars last season Grant and Houghton have been absent injured (Grant) and absent suspended Houghton so the midfield has been Randell and Butcher ( ex Stanley) with Houghton coins in more recently. Hoping for Grant back soon.

Wing backs are Joe Edwards ( you remember him of course) and Norwich loanee Bali Mumba....he is a dynamic forward thinking player and already has a goal and a couple of assists...but also a plethora of yellows ( and a pre season red!). The main difference here is that they are swapping sides from game to game so even we are not sure which side they will start....but it does allow us to adjust if one wing is being dominated.

Back three are Scarr ( solid as ever) in the middle, Galloway, feeling his way back after his terrible knee injury but looking class again, and for the last couple of games Longwijk, a Wolves loanee who is like a very casual Van Dijk a like....but good on the ball and presses well. Came in after the Charlton debacle and Wilsons red card and has retained his spot on merit. Gillesphey is the other left sided option and tends to get minutes as we ease Galloway back.

Results wise we are 3 to zip at home in the league and yet to concede. Away we have two wins including the 3-2 from 0-2 at Derby where frankly we played them off the park both halves, and two defeats...a dreadful 2-1 at Fleetwood where we should have at least drawn but conceded late, and an appalling 1-5 at Charlton where even though we pulled back to 3-1 from 3-0 down we were never at the races. Rak Sakhi, the Palace loanee showed we have a vulnerability to pace , although Galloway came on and seemed to solve that problem for us second half. He ( Rak Sakhi) was impressive.

No score prediction from me....I would say we are still punching above our weight, and it is likely we will score...so it just depends if you can get on the scoresheet as to what will happen. The new system is definitely making us more fluent going forward and we have goals from more than just Hardie. We have Pompey away and Ipswich at home after that , so that will be the traditional "ten games in and how is it all going review on PASOTI.

I'll be streaming from Kent .....it will be an odd atmosphere I think and that might impact the game but we can discuss that on Wednesday no doubt :)

I thought Cooper was really good from what I saw last year - is he running his contract down?

If anyone on here is going to Plymouth and would like to rate the trip for the On The Road section of the programme, drop us a message to ouspinfo@gmail.com. It's a pretty simple survey that takes just a couple of minutes.

Afternoon...

Watched your preseason game against Bristol city, thought you were very good.
Very sharp up front and threatening on the counter attack,
Was impressed with Randell

Argyle - quality club and brilliant fans. Spent some time watching them at places like Wolves and Leicester around the times of Holloway and Sturrock circa 2007....when they had a young Mackie and Fallon up top! They are one step up from us at the moment.

We just aren't ready for this in my opinion. Im going for 3-1 Argyle. We just have to stay in touch in the next few weeks until we get all our players back.

Afternoon...

I wouldn't worry about the vulnerability to pace, i don't think you'll have too many issues in that regard tomorrow night.

4-2 defeat on KR's 42nd birthday

Hope not, I’ve seen us lose 4-2 there before, or was it 5-2. A young Ian Stonebridge scored a couple for them, and Paul Powell scored two for us I think.

Last time I went down we lost 3-0 and Garbutt was shocking. Sarcevic scored for them and I think Lamireis or however it’s spelt got two.

There a very good well run club, and have some great support that follow them all over the country. There fans are a good bunch, decent to chat too in the boozer. Always walk up a great big hill from the Train Station, and then alongside a great big open field, to where there is a pub right on a curve/corner of a busy road. Then go to the ground and eat a Cornish pasty on the way (rude not to)!

The two clubs have been similar in terms of Lge position of late, but as we went backwards, because of poor ownership, Argyle went the other way with Paul Sturrock as manager. However we’ve both made it to the third tier for a few seasons, and both well established top half teams at this level. They’ve got more of a history than we have, and obviously better support, but who else is there to support down there. Torquay, Exeter, Truro City do they still exist…

I hope both clubs have a successful season, but they have a better shot at the playoffs this season than we do, because they’ve gone with continuity, and well our transfer window was let’s say diabolical.

Still think Argyle will win 3-1.

We’ll concede 3 or 4 goals. Not a good time to play them. Expecting a depressing journey back to Gloucestershire.

We're still waiting for it to click into place. Reckon 4 - 0 but could be to either team.

That penalty/offside decision last season at their place in April was a big turning point in our season and in fact, year to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom