Away Match Day Thread 13/09/22: L1 - Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
We shouldn’t go down this season, but there are about 8-9 teams that will probably fancy 3 points when they play us.
This is my feelings, we won't go down (there's four worse teams) but won't get promoted either, mid table finish.

I am absolutely sick to death of watching Bodin stroll about the entire game, attempting lazy flicks to no one in particular, running face first into the defender and losing possession, or shooting when there are better passes on. I don't know what's happened to him over the summer but he's been bloody useless all season
He has certainly looked a lot different since he went from a one-year deal with appearance related add-ons, to a flat two-year deal on guaranteed wages.

I've also already accepted this season is one of consolidation and we won't be making a promotion push so perhaps that helps.
Can you explain a little further about the 'consolidation'? In my mind consolidation means 'strengthening' or 'putting on a more certain footing'. I can't see what is going on as that in any sense. On the pitch I think we'd all have to admit that we have gone backwards, and any real idea of replicating what we have done over the last few seasons (at least threatening promotion even if via the play offs) seems fairly optimistic.

Off the pitch, I suppose the stadium project will become clearer and the training ground has been improved, so both of those can be seen as strengthening, but we seem to have lost a couple of well regarded staff on the player development side which isn't.

Unfortunately for me, this season has become about surviving (which I think we will), as I suspect the injured players will come back and then there will be a revolving door of injuries/recoveries with the January transfer window again proving difficult. The question will then be at the end of the season (if it hasn't happened before) whether those in charge of the purse strings feel comfortable going through a similar process next summer with the same person in charge.

Interesting how people see it differently. I actually think that Findlay, with McGuane and Cam Bran, is the spine of a decent side at this level.

The main problems last night were:
1. The lack of Wing-Backs. If you're playing 3-5-2/5-3-2 the Wing-Backs are crucial. They are an outlet for the defenders (instead Brown had to force things himself) and for the midfield (instead McGuane/Cam Bran has to drive it on themselves). They need to have pace, and to be able to beat a man, and cross. All things desperately lacking last night.
2. The waste of a midfield spot with Bate. Simple really, you either have a Gorrin to protect the defence, or you need an attack-minded option playing behind the front 2.
3. Joseph effectively playing up top on his own.

I think those that put in a shift, but we perhaps expect more of them, have received some unfair criticism (Findlay, Cam Bran, Joseph) but for me the fact that we had 2 or 3 absolute passengers was more painful. If you at least had 11 players all putting in a shift you may get a result in that game.

I'd actually put the players in 3 brackets last night:

1. Decent performers who we have come to expect a lot of and typically deliver, even if they're not at their best every week - Findlay, Brown, McGuane, Cam Bran, Joseph.
2. Players who lack quality, shouldn't be starting for us, but at least put a shift in - Eastwood, Long, Seddon.
3. Players who were way off the pace - Henry, Bate, Bodin.

My ratings, with ‘5’ as a standard (turning up and putting in a basic shift):

Eastwood – 4. Not good enough. Shot stopper yes – but distribution awful as always. Could have done better with goal. Compare and contrast with Cooper.
Henry – 2. Awful. Not a wing back. No pace, no ability to beat a man. Crossing also poor.
Long – 4. Seems to get some favourable comments here, not sure why? Would have been better putting him at RWB and bringing in Mous.
Findlay – 6. Reaction to Findlay has surprised me, I thought he put in a really good shift once again and stood up well physically. Not a ‘footballer’ maybe but does what is required of him.
Brown – 6. Some misplaced passes for sure, but he was trying to force something as his outlet at LWB was hopeless.
Seddon – 4. Bambi on ice. Energy levels good (more than can be said for Henry) but couldn’t even trap a football.
Bate – 3. Don’t know what he brings to the party. Physically off it, supposedly here for his technical ability but thought he was poor on the ball also. Waste of a midfield space. At this point would rather stick in Gorrin which would hopefully allow McGuane and Bran to get further up the pitch.
McGuane – 7. Keeps the ball so well under pressure, unfortunately for him there was a complete lack of movement and options to pass the ball to when he did keep the ball.
Brannagan – 6. Unfair criticism here. Hardly his best game, but even a poor game for Cam is still better than most.
Joseph – 6. Again, don’t get the criticism here (apart from the miss). Don’t want to play the ‘were you there’ card but his running and work-rate off the ball is good which may not be picked up by the ifollow crowd. He was effectively playing up front on his own with balls being lumped forward in his direction. Feeding off absolute scraps.
Bodin – 1. Appalling. Lightweight, no movement, looked unfit and seemingly disinterested. Looked almost like he was hiding at times (you may say it’s ‘playing off the defenders shoulder’ but there were times when the likes of McGuane or Brown could have done with an outlet and Bodin was usually to be found hiding behind a defender). Absolute stinker and should have been hooked a lot earlier.

Browne – 6. A bit of spark. How we need him to stay fit. Ideally would have been on earlier but understand we may need to ease him in.
Anderson/Spasov/Goodhrham – 5. No real impact.

Robinson - 2. Clear that Henry and Bodin in particular were not at the races. Unwilling to change it.

KR is now (as they say north of the border) on a 'shoogly peg'. Need at least 3 wins from the next 5 games for me.

I'm certainly not feeling as negative as most of you on here, we lost to a decent Plymouth side who have yet to concede at home despite some tough fixtures (Barnsley, Bolton & PBoro). Not the end of the world, but I've also already accepted this season is one of consolidation and we won't be making a promotion push so perhaps that helps.

However, I must admit I am absolutely sick to death of watching Bodin stroll about the entire game, attempting lazy flicks to no one in particular, running face first into the defender and losing possession, or shooting when there are better passes on. I don't know what's happened to him over the summer but he's been bloody useless all season and O'Donkor did more in his 60 minutes v Burton than Bodin has all season. At this point I would genuinely rather we used O'Donkor/Goodrham/Spasov as our attackers than BodBodin
What are we consolidating? We are significantly worse than last season and have a manager who seems to watch a different game to the rest of us.

In no game this season have we been the better side, even the first half v Leyton Orient reserves in the PJ we looked laboured, slow and sluggish and were very lucky to go in ahead.

Last night we were completely outclassed by a good Plymouth side who if their finishing matched their build up play would have handed us an absolute hiding. They were quicker than us, seemed fitter and always had options on the ball. We now play far too much long ball which is both ineffective and fairly dull to watch.

Talking to a Plymouth friend in the pub after the game he couldn't believe the difference in the style of play with the same manager in such a short period of time to our last game in April.

He was also saying that the manager Steven Schumacher who is in his first job having only taken charge midway through the season changed the system in the summer in order to try and get more points against the clubs who finished in the top 6. Compare that to our summer recruitment

Interesting how people see it differently. I actually think that Findlay, with McGuane and Cam Bran, is the spine of a decent side at this level.

1. The lack of Wing-Backs. If you're playing 3-5-2/5-3-2 the Wing-Backs are crucial. They are an outlet for the defenders (instead Brown had to force things himself) and for the midfield (instead McGuane/Cam Bran has to drive it on themselves). They need to have pace, and to be able to beat a man, and cross. All things desperately lacking last night.
2. The waste of a midfield spot with Bate. Simple really, you either have a Gorrin to protect the defence, or you need an attack-minded option playing behind the front 2.

I think those that put in a shift, but we perhaps expect more of them, have received some unfair criticism (Findlay, Cam Bran, Joseph) but for me the fact that we had 2 or 3 absolute passengers was more painful. If you at least had 11 players all putting in a shift you may get a result in that game.

1. Decent performers who we have come to expect a lot of and typically deliver, even if they're not at their best every week - Findlay, Brown, McGuane, Cam Bran, Joseph.
2. Players who lack quality, shouldn't be starting for us, but at least put a shift in - Eastwood, Long, Seddon.

Eastwood – 4. Not good enough. Shot stopper yes – but distribution awful as always. Could have done better with goal. Compare and contrast with Cooper.
Henry – 2. Awful. Not a wing back. No pace, no ability to beat a man. Crossing also poor.
Long – 4. Seems to get some favourable comments here, not sure why? Would have been better putting him at RWB and bringing in Mous.
Findlay – 6. Reaction to Findlay has surprised me, I thought he put in a really good shift once again and stood up well physically. Not a ‘footballer’ maybe but does what is required of him.
Brown – 6. Some misplaced passes for sure, but he was trying to force something as his outlet at LWB was hopeless.
Seddon – 4. Bambi on ice. Energy levels good (more than can be said for Henry) but couldn’t even trap a football.
Bate – 3. Don’t know what he brings to the party. Physically off it, supposedly here for his technical ability but thought he was poor on the ball also. Waste of a midfield space. At this point would rather stick in Gorrin which would hopefully allow McGuane and Bran to get further up the pitch.
McGuane – 7. Keeps the ball so well under pressure, unfortunately for him there was a complete lack of movement and options to pass the ball to when he did keep the ball.
Brannagan – 6. Unfair criticism here. Hardly his best game, but even a poor game for Cam is still better than most.
Joseph – 6. Again, don’t get the criticism here (apart from the miss). Don’t want to play the ‘were you there’ card but his running and work-rate off the ball is good which may not be picked up by the ifollow crowd. He was effectively playing up front on his own with balls being lumped forward in his direction. Feeding off absolute scraps.
Bodin – 1. Appalling. Lightweight, no movement, looked unfit and seemingly disinterested. Looked almost like he was hiding at times (you may say it’s ‘playing off the defenders shoulder’ but there were times when the likes of McGuane or Brown could have done with an outlet and Bodin was usually to be found hiding behind a defender). Absolute stinker and should have been hooked a lot earlier.

Browne – 6. A bit of spark. How we need him to stay fit. Ideally would have been on earlier but understand we may need to ease him in.

Robinson - 2. Clear that Henry and Bodin in particular were not at the races. Unwilling to change it.

KR is now (as they say north of the border) on a 'shoogly peg'. Need at least 3 wins from the next 5 games for me.
Regarding Findlay, I think there was a lot of expectancy, especially after we’d been after him for so long. He’s so poor with the ball at his feet, and I’d expect that as a minimal for a footballer, especially nowadays when you want the central defenders to bring the ball out from the back. Same for Eastwood being a ‘Sweeper Keeper’ and I thought I’d heard it all! e.g. a modern keeper!

Pretty much agree but think you're being a little (a little!) harsh on Bate. He had a couple of shots and a couple of passes which showed genuine invention albeit coming to nowt.

Regarding Findlay, I think there was a lot of expectancy, especially after we’d been after him for so long. He’s so poor with the ball at his feet, and I’d expect that as a minimal for a footballer, especially nowadays when you want the central defenders to bring the ball out from the back. Same for Eastwood being a ‘Sweeper Keeper’ and I thought I’d heard it all! e.g. a modern keeper!
I don't think Findlay is a *bad* defender (and I understand with all the chopping and changing at the back in both personnel and systems he is probably finding it hard to adapt immediately) but he doesn't look anything special and certainly not outstanding enough that we'd chase him for multiple transfer windows. It is almost as if once it became public we had been interested in him, actually getting him became some bizarre point of pride no matter if he was exactly what we needed now or not.

I thought Eastwood did OK in the first half last night, he was certainly trying to be a sweeper keeper. But it was a bit like watching a dog walking on it's hind legs.

Can you explain a little further about the 'consolidation'? In my mind consolidation means 'strengthening' or 'putting on a more certain footing'. I can't see what is going on as that in any sense. On the pitch I think we'd all have to admit that we have gone backwards, and any real idea of replicating what we have done over the last few seasons (at least threatening promotion even if via the play offs) seems fairly optimistic.

Off the pitch, I suppose the stadium project will become clearer and the training ground has been improved, so both of those can be seen as strengthening, but we seem to have lost a couple of well regarded staff on the player development side which isn't.

Unfortunately for me, this season has become about surviving (which I think we will), as I suspect the injured players will come back and then there will be a revolving door of injuries/recoveries with the January transfer window again proving difficult. The question will then be at the end of the season (if it hasn't happened before) whether those in charge of the purse strings feel comfortable going through a similar process next summer with the same person in charge.
I don't by any means think consolidation was the target at the start of the season or that we have reached a position of consolidation already - we are absolutely weaker on the pitch and in areas off the pitch - it's more a case of that's what we're looking at as our best case scenario now. That's the target for the season now. We have almost a whole season, and a mid season transfer window, to take stock of what we have both on the pitch and off the pitch and be more ready than ever for next summer and next season. Obviously the stadium moving forward would be huge, but I think having that time to have a proper look at every player, coach, backroom staff member, how the club is functioning (marketing was a big problem this summer), and of course the manager, without the added pressure of a promotion push or relegation battle (something we've not had under KR, it's always been one or the other) gives us the opportunity to consolidate in many ways throughout the entire club.

It's depressing after three years of promotion pushes to be in this position, but the optimist in me thinks it could be exactly what the club needs to iron out all the problems within the club, give these players (most of whom are contracted for next year) a long time to learn the club, the playstyle, and each other, and also to push the stadium closer to approval.

Can’t disagree with any of that. I would expect and hope that Henry, Bate and (definitely) Bodin are out of the team for Saturday, we carried them last night and we are not good enough to do that.

This Saturday I would like Mousinho in and Long shifted to right wing back, Gorrin in for Bate and push CamBran further up (allows McGuane to get further forward as well), Browne up front/Behind Joseph. Not an ideal team, relies on the above 3 players coming into be fit as well but at least it should have some shape and a bit more energy and impact. Would rather the youngsters come on than Bodin as well.

I don't think Findlay is a *bad* defender (and I understand with all the chopping and changing at the back in both personnel and systems he is probably finding it hard to adapt immediately) but he doesn't look anything special and certainly not outstanding enough that we'd chase him for multiple transfer windows. It is almost as if once it became public we had been interested in him, actually getting him became some bizarre point of pride no matter if he was exactly what we needed now or not.

I thought Eastwood did OK in the first half last night, he was certainly trying to be a sweeper keeper. But it was a bit like watching a dog walking on it's hind legs.
That made me laugh but it's also very true.

Well in the end it was damn close run thing. To paraphrase Wellington.

I am sure you have had similar matches but from the Argyle perspective after a fast start, the longer we went without a goal the more nervous it became as a watch. Even after the goal we, as no doubt you were, were simply stunned that Joseph managed to not hit the target. After that I don't think it ever looked like you were going to equalise. We could have scored more but if you don't you stand vulnerable to a sucker punch.

Taking the match in relation to our April encounter, the score was the same but the performance levels were miles apart. I know you have a hefty injury list but we have Miller, Grant and Bolton long term casualties and Mayor withdrawn feeling sick ( hence the dressing room sprint on being subbed I believe). Houghton and Wilson on the bench, Camara gone. In fact only five of the April team that started did the so last night. Shumacher and the unsung DOF Dewsnip have improved our bench immeasurably and so we have players that can come on and make a difference. As Ennis and Whittaker did.

The goal when it came was deserved, and having looked at the replays, from a home perspective I think Ennis is outside of the goalposts and in no way blocking Eastwoods view.....although a couple of defenders were. It was well struck but I have seen them saved. Like I say. Fine margins.

All your best work came from deep and through Maguane who was head and shoulders your best player ( apart from the smartly taken free kick that led to the equaliser). Oh wait no, he did miss. Again How?

You clearly missed Taylor as a focal point. I think we won almost every header in our half and most of the second balls. In the second half we tweaked to give Mumba more of an offensive role and he caused you problems with his pace. Ennis too meant the ball stuck further up the field which caused you problems. Hardie is great for stretching the pitch and creating space, but he had a mare in front of goal. Also Longwijk our loanee from Wolves gives us a better outlet on the right than Wilson. He appears languid but boy can he pick a pass, and he plays forward.

Our engine of Randell and Butcher also means we get possession and retain and recycle it better than last season. Mayor and Azaz/Whitaker then get to do their work in the last third when last season they Mayor was fetching and carrying more.

So we now have the top two in the next two games. whereas you have two home games that on paper are winnable. That takes us to the artificial ten games in and see where we are standard. We could be anywhere from top to seventh or eight....

Early days....

Two other things. Excellent turn out and impeccable observation of the minutes silence ( although to be fair I expected nothing less)

In honour of Karls Birthday we put away Sweet Caroline, although the replacement probably summed up his feelings. Just Can't Get Enough.

See you in February.

I don't by any means think consolidation was the target at the start of the season or that we have reached a position of consolidation already - we are absolutely weaker on the pitch and in areas off the pitch - it's more a case of that's what we're looking at as our best case scenario now. That's the target for the season now. We have almost a whole season, and a mid season transfer window, to take stock of what we have both on the pitch and off the pitch and be more ready than ever for next summer and next season. Obviously the stadium moving forward would be huge, but I think having that time to have a proper look at every player, coach, backroom staff member, how the club is functioning (marketing was a big problem this summer), and of course the manager, without the added pressure of a promotion push or relegation battle (something we've not had under KR, it's always been one or the other) gives us the opportunity to consolidate in many ways throughout the entire club.

It's depressing after three years of promotion pushes to be in this position, but the optimist in me thinks it could be exactly what the club needs to iron out all the problems within the club, give these players (most of whom are contracted for next year) a long time to learn the club, the playstyle, and each other, and also to push the stadium closer to approval.

I'm sorry, but that's absolute nonsense. I'm not sure even KR's biggest supporters would go as far as to try and spin our awful Summer recruitment and awful start to the season as 'exactly what the club needs to iron out all the problems within the club'.

And as for this...
'We have almost a whole season, and a mid season transfer window, to take stock of what we have both on the pitch and off the pitch and be more ready than ever for next summer and next season'
Wow. Just wow. Why on earth do we need a season to be ready for next season? We should be ready now. We have a mid-season transfer window to come? We had a whole Summer window to take stock and be ready for this season.

Serious question - when do we stop rolling it over to 'the next window' or 'the next season' and say that now is the best time to push for promotion?

We shouldn't be writing off the season now. If you don't think KR can turn it around then someone else should be tasked with trying to do so - let them use the mid-season window and work with what we've already got - it is salvageable.

"Consolidation" = letting the club (and KR specifically) completely off the hook.

We lack such fluidity and in fact it really isn't obvious what the tactics are.
Barely any pace in the current available squad and it is a massive barrier to playing the way we have in previous season.
By the time we have those quicker players back 100% fit, it's going to be too late for any lofty ambitions.

I know we have injuries but not sure why we are persisting with the 3-5-2, forcing players to play out of position and seeing constant changes (Golding/Mous/O'Donkor all in for a start and then out again)
Had the ability to play a comfortable back 4 last night and didn't.

Midfield was bypassed so easily at times as we got caught attempting to pull off a high press, with one ball consistently beating 4-5 players into the space in front of the defence. Thankfully Plymouth kept trying to score a 20 yard worldie rather than trying to create a proper chance.

All that being said, Joseph's miss was the best chance in the entire game and probably one of the best moves in the game. But if we're only going to find the ability to do that once in 90minutes, then we're not going to win many games.

There's so much being put on the returning players.

Concerned.

Barely any pace in the current available squad and it is a massive barrier to playing the way we have in previous season.
By the time we have those quicker players back 100% fit, it's going to be too late for any lofty ambitions.

I know we have injuries but not sure why we are persisting with the 3-5-2, forcing players to play out of position and seeing constant changes (Golding/Mous/O'Donkor all in for a start and then out again)

Midfield was bypassed so easily at times as we got caught attempting to pull off a high press, with one ball consistently beating 4-5 players into the space in front of the defence. Thankfully Plymouth kept trying to score a 20 yard worldie rather than trying to create a proper chance.

All that being said, Joseph's miss was the best chance in the entire game and probably one of the best moves in the game. But if we're only going to find the ability to do that once in 90minutes, then we're not going to win many games.

Concerned.
For me this is the crucial question: do we ideally want to be playing 3-5-2 (which means that we can't make the best use of wingers) or 4-3-3? TBH we don't really have the players for either but we are slightly better set up for 4-3-3.

Concerned.
Agree on second to last point..really need to see Marcus B on the score sheet.

If I was on the board I certainly WOULD NOT be giving KR any more money to throw away. If we can’t get rid of him soon then at least force him to make do with the raggle taggle group of players he bought in the summer until the end of the season. Then, when it’s sunk in to even the most optimistic of supporters how bad his recruitment has been, can we replace him?

Shumacher and the unsung DOF Dewsnip have improved our bench immeasurably and so we have players that can come on and make a difference.
You have just summed up much of our problem. We have no DoF / SD type figure to help provide stability and form a template that we are well stocked for in terms of players, and we’re now starting players like Seddon who last season was deemed to be such a poor left back that we were playing a right winger there ahead of him. Although we have a good few injuries, we haven’t recruited at full back / wing back, and only McGuane suddenly turning into N’Golo Kante has prevented us getting absolutely steamrollered in the middle of the park every week.

We’ve also not got any centre backs who can bring the ball out and break the lines anymore, something I have to say that your team looks very capable of doing, which again comes down to a lack of cohesive recruitment strategy and has massively impacted the style of play throughout the team. We look like a collection of names and bodies thrown together that are trying to figure it out on the fly, and you looked like a team that has been assembled based on specific skill sets and attributes and how they all work together. I can see what your plan is, but not necessarily ours. I don’t think you ever moved beyond third gear and yet you still should’ve beaten us by a couple more than you did.

I think (hope) we will be better when we next meet, but at the moment it looks like despite being basically neck and neck last season, we’ve definitely gone in different directions.

For me this is the crucial question: do we ideally want to be playing 3-5-2 (which means that we can't make the best use of wingers) or 4-3-3? TBH we don't really have the players for either but we are slightly better set up for 4-3-3.

4-3-3 would work better if Gorrin was able to play, put McGuane and CamBran in front and that should be a strong midfield. If Browne can start it only really leaves us struggling on the right wing. Don’t know if Gorrin and Browne can start games yet though.

4-3-3 would work better if Gorrin was able to play, put McGuane and CamBran in front and that should be a strong midfield. If Browne can start it only really leaves us struggling on the right wing. Don’t know if Gorrin and Browne can start games yet though.
For 4-3-3 I'd want two really good full backs (or at least a good new left back) and a competitor for Gorrin. I've lost track of our injured wingers, do none play on the right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom