European Championships Nike England Shirt

Should Nike have "played" with the St George's cross?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think quite simply it’s about changing something that didn’t need to be changed.

The flag is what it is, so either use it or don’t use it. But don’t f**k around with it.

That flag above is clearly homage to Oxford by a fan on tour, nothing wrong with that. It is clearly not intending to be an England flag despite the subtle reference.

But on reflection maybe people will be less vocal if our next kit is the wrong shade of yellow/gold or blue or we don’t wear our first kit to away matches, which is something that has never bothered me tbh.

I also forgot to mention quite a few Towns & football clubs in, Italy have the St Georges cross as their flag. It is basically because of Genoa that the English st Georges flag come about.Screenshot_2024-03-24-07-07-27-27_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-24-07-12-31-51_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-24-07-19-13-05_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-24-07-14-45-14_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

Another comment from an ex-footballer Peter Shilton:- “I don't agree with it. I'm a traditionalist and England represents our country and red, white and blue are the colours we have on our flag.”

I think he's getting the England and GB flag mixed up!

Imo the outrage about this sort of thing comes from the belief that there's intent behind it.

The outrage only really began when Nike posted specifically about this 'playful update'. Had they made the kit exactly how it is but not mentioned that detail specifically, I doubt it would've got any attention at all.

It personally doesn't bother me that much, but it definitely seems like something Nike have done on purpose knowing the sensitivities around nations and their flags, and to describe it as a 'playful update' comes across intentionally inflammatory.

It personally doesn't bother me that much, but it definitely seems like something Nike have done on purpose knowing the sensitivities around nations and their flags, and to describe it as a 'playful update' comes across intentionally inflammatory.
🤔

I'm not to fussed about it to be honest I think the shirt looks quite good I don't think I will buy one tho simply because I don't buy England shirts unless my kids want one

Who really cares what colour the flag on the back is football fans up and down the country change the colour to create something personal to them and their team so why all this over reaction as for politicians they are just jumping on the band waggon thinking it will get them some votes 😀😀

Now that Georgia have qualified for the Euros, I wonder if Nike will rework their national flag

Attachments

• IMG_3854.png
    IMG_3854.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom