Other European England Squad

Steve Gilbert

I still can’t understand Southgate’s thinking by including Maguire. I get that he has never let the country down but Southgate himself bangs on about form but Maguire isn’t a 1st choice player, even Shaw played ahead of him last season.
He has also included Phillips who hasn’t played this season but hasn’t selected Sterling who has be one of Chelsea’s best players this season.

Don’t say you pick players on form when you clearly don’t.

I think Henderson can be added to the list of players who are lucky to be picked. Maguire is fortunate that we have so few centre half’s playing in the top flight playing regularly, ironically when we get a good team we then get a drought there, we had 5 or 6 excellent ones at a time we were lacking in other areas.

I think Henderson can be added to the list of players who are lucky to be picked. Maguire is fortunate that we have so few centre half’s playing in the top flight playing regularly, ironically when we get a good team we then get a drought there, we had 5 or 6 excellent ones at a time we were lacking in other areas.
I understand why Henderson has been added now, he has only just gone to Saudi. If he is still getting picked come the end of the season is a different matter.

I don’t buy into this CB thing. No Gomez or White for a start. Gomez might not be 1st choice at Liverpool but he plays more than Maguire. White is a brilliant player but clearly there has been a fall out. Tomori is 1 of the CB’s and I’d even say Connor Cody should be in there.
You can also play Walker in a back 3 with Cody and Tomori.

I still can’t understand Southgate’s thinking by including Maguire. I get that he has never let the country down but Southgate himself bangs on about form but Maguire isn’t a 1st choice player, even Shaw played ahead of him last season.
He has also included Phillips who hasn’t played this season but hasn’t selected Sterling who has be one of Chelsea’s best players this season.

Don’t say you pick players on form when you clearly don’t.

But are managers picking on form ? Of course they’re not, they rarely do. Reputation will supersede form in most cases in club foot ball let alone international football. Rashford hasn’t scored in pre season and has been awful in the PL so far. Why’s he in ? There’d be an outcry if he wasn’t selected in the squad ? Why ? Because the public will see the Rashford from last season. Southgate very likely see the Maguire from his last international cap or two and he’s been pretty solid.

I don't really care how these players are doing for their club teams as long as when they put the England shirt on and they give 💯% that is good enough for me I don't support their club teams none of the players play for Oxford 🙂

I understand why Henderson has been added now, he has only just gone to Saudi. If he is still getting picked come the end of the season is a different matter.

I don’t buy into this CB thing. No Gomez or White for a start. Gomez might not be 1st choice at Liverpool but he plays more than Maguire. White is a brilliant player but clearly there has been a fall out. Tomori is 1 of the CB’s and I’d even say Connor Cody should be in there.
You can also play Walker in a back 3 with Cody and Tomori.
Coady had a pretty awful season at Everton and is now in the Championship.
We seem to have no proven CBs which is why Maguire is picked I assume.
I wonder whether Southgate has tried enough CBs in friendlies , but it appears that he doesn't rate any of the back up CBs.

There is a dearth of English Centre Backs at the moment and the absence of Stones and Mings really highlights the issue.

Strange to think back to 20 years ago and England had loads of quality CBs

There is a dearth of English Centre Backs at the moment and the absence of Stones and Mings really highlights the issue.

Strange to think back to 20 years ago and England had loads of quality CBs

I admit to not following the PL as closely as I used to but I too am struggling to think of any CBs England could be calling up. Marc Guehi perhaps as the next cab on the rank (he's in the squad after all)? As for Maguire, well - has he ever let England down? For all the pelters he gets, he always performs well for the national team. It's a new season for a reset for him. Personally I thought a move may have done him good but he's staying at Man United for now. Maybe Southgate's thinking is that he beds in one the new CBs alongside an established pro such as Maguire. Getting Stones back would be a big help.

No way should Southgate be calling up anyone from the Saudi retirement league though and light training and binge eating seems to get Kalvin Phillips a call up every time.

In the main, I'm broadly supportive of Southgate. His stoical, thoughtful approach has got England closer to a trophy than 1966 than anyone before him. However, his loyalty to players who aren't cutting it at squad level is now looking increasingly strange.

(Not that it really matters. England need, what, two wins and a draw or so from their final four qualifying matches including games against North Macedonia and Malta to qualify. They beat Italy away from home so it shows he knows what he's doing.)

I admit to not following the PL as closely as I used to but I too am struggling to think of any CBs England could be calling up. Marc Guehi perhaps as the next cab on the rank (he's in the squad after all)? As for Maguire, well - has he ever let England down? For all the pelters he gets, he always performs well for the national team. It's a new season for a reset for him. Personally I thought a move may have done him good but he's staying at Man United for now. Maybe Southgate's thinking is that he beds in one the new CBs alongside an established pro such as Maguire. Getting Stones back would be a big help.

Levi Colwill, Lewis Dunk, Marc Guehi, Harry Maguire, and Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan) are the CBs in the squad.

The U-21s seems a bit bare as well with few having any PL experience

Yeah, imagine being able to pick John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Ledley King, Jontahan Woodgate etc in their primes to play with the current squad! Now that truly would be 'golden'

Truth is that the standard of play at the top end of the Premier League is simply higher than international football these days.

West Ham wanted to sign Maguire, and presumably were intending to start him. If you're good enough for a midtable PL team like them, you're easily good enough for international football. Maybe not to be a World Cup star, but absolutely a solid member of a winning team.

Truth is that the standard of play at the top end of the Premier League is simply higher than international football these days.

West Ham wanted to sign Maguire, and presumably were intending to start him. If you're good enough for a midtable PL team like them, you're easily good enough for international football. Maybe not to be a World Cup star, but absolutely a solid member of a winning team.
I’m not sure this logic is correct. Are you saying that Bowen, Benrahma, Ings and Antonio should all get into the England squad? All play regularly for West Ham. Zouma scored the winner for them last night but I doubt he’ll be playing for France any time soon.

I don't take that much notice, but this is probably the first time I've never heard of a player in the squad - who's Levi Colwill?

I don't take that much notice, but this is probably the first time I've never heard of a player in the squad - who's Levi Colwill?
I'd heard of him it is Marc Guehi I've not heard of...

Perhaps if I paid more attention to Premier League football I might know.

Guehi I think played against us for Palace in recent years. Colwill I had on football manager. Lewis Dunk though - no idea who he is.

Dunk is one I'm very familiar with, he's been at Brighton since the dawn of time hasn't he? Might even have played for them in our current division.

Back
Top Bottom