World Cup 20/08/2023: Women’s World Cup 2023 FINAL - Spain v England

closer to home - my partner, who claimed for ever, that she doesn't like or get football ( despite growing up in Horwood close- right next to the London rd entrance to the Manor) , not only watched the WWC final, got a bit animated several times during the game ... and has after the WWC final earlier ended, expressed her interest in going to watch the yellow roses/ OUWFC play a few times this season

Despite the much improved performance this half, England haven’t really created any chances. They need something.

Toone stayed on too long for me.

EDIT. If it stays 1-0, it would be such a shame for the winning goal to come from a Bronze error. She’s such a stalwart and as I’ve said she’s been unusually poor this game.
When playing with wing backs, you expect them to lose the ball out of position, the fact Keira Walsh didn't fill the hole was just as big an issue as Bronze losing it. England got it wrong tactically today. James should have come on for Toone at half time and Russo should have stayed on. Why we played so long in the second half without a recognised striker up front, I have no idea. Having said that Weigman has got most things right this tournament.

Good proformance from England but between by a very technical and typical Spanish side. Closing the ball down by 2/3 player's at the same time and lots of short fast one touch football.
Spain could easily be a very dominant team over the next few tournaments.

Well said. Unlike many of the disappointments over the years with the men's team that was a defeat where England could not have done much more and were simply outplayed.
Yes better to be outplayed than lose because of some silly penalty or sending off. I’ll probably forget about the Lionesses till the next tournament, as I do with the men’s team, but I’ve really enjoyed the competition

Agreed. Enjoyable to watch, will be better in 4 years when the standard among the lower ranked teams has risen somewhat.

As for the final, the better team won - which, bitter pill though it is, is probably the right result.

Very sad, but to score the winning goal makes this extra special:

She’s a quality player.

WOTM for me. She drove Spain forward all game and gave the right side of England no end of problems.

Very sad to her of her father’s passing.

congrats Mary Earps winning FiFAs golden glove

Yet Nike still haven't made her keepers kit available

congrats Mary Earps winning FiFAs golden glove

Yet Nike still haven't made her keepers kit available
Not commercially viable was the reason. The womens game generates a fraction of the revenue the mens game does. They need to get people wanting to buy their stuff at the end of the day it is still largely subsidised by the mens game. This world cup broke even with 570 million in revenue the mens game 7.6 billion. Nike aren't exactly going to turn down a money making opportunity. Until the womens game can stand up equally to the mans game i cannot see how people can expect it to be treated equally and that includes senior Royals attendance. They already get a higher proportion of revenue in price money compared to the mens game. The OUFC womens season ticket costs £50 the mens £329.

Not commercially viable was the reason. The womens game generates a fraction of the revenue the mens game does. They need to get people wanting to buy their stuff at the end of the day it is still largely subsidised by the mens game. This world cup broke even with 570 million in revenue the mens game 7.6 billion. Nike aren't exactly going to turn down a money making opportunity. Until the womens game can stand up equally to the mans game i cannot see how people can expect it to be treated equally and that includes senior Royals attendance. They already get a higher proportion of revenue in price money compared to the mens game. The OUFC womens season ticket costs £50 the mens £329.
I agree that at a club level renumeration has to be linked to revenue generated but you are saying senior Royles should only attend world sporting events that make serious money. Sorry but that is bollox.

Last edited:
I agree that at a club level renumeration has to be linked to revenue generated but you are saying senior Royles should only attend world sporting events that make serious money. Sorry but that is bollox.
Prince Harry attended the Rugby world cup final as a Fan in 2003. There was no other royal attendance in an official capacity. generally if a Royal is going to drag out a load of security and pump out CO2 emissions then yes i do think it isn't unreasonable to target the bigger tournaments that generate revenue and people actually pay decent money to watch.

I agree, low key security and little CO2 footprint. He could have helped that by having a caravan in Cleethorpes for a week instead of two months in Mustique

The "not commercial viable" line is a complete cop out. Its not viable for a club the size of Oxford to produce 3 different goalkeeper shirts from 3xs up to 3xl. These almost certain present a loss when sold off at the end of the season. But they are still produced and available for all age groups.

Nike make huge profits every year from the sale of football shirts. We're talking about making a shirt for the current European Champions, and one of the favourites for the World Cup. Not only that, but Mary Earps was also voted FIFA Best Goalkeeper in the World last year.

If they produced a couple of thousand and didn't sell a single one, it still wouldn't make a fraction of a percent damage to their profits. In fact it would represent less of a loss in profits than they get from shirts being misprinted or damaged during manufacture and never leave the factories.

Womens sport shouldn't have to achieve parity with the mens game to be treated equally. That's the equivalent of saying that manufacturers won't make Oxford shirts because they don't sell in the same number as Man United shirts.

The women's game is growing hugely and needs to be supported as it grows. Nike have failed in this and there is no excuse for not putting this shirt out.

I don't buy that commercially viable excuse. Adidas managed to create a women's Mary Earps goalkeeper jersey for her club Man Utd, which any supporter can buy, so why can't Nike?

Plus there's already a few available (worn by Ms Earps and a few others in the squad), so they've already got the blueprint. They just need to get on the blower to the sweat-shop manager in Bangladesh to print off a few more!.

Last edited:
The "not commercial viable" line is a complete cop out. Its not viable for a club the size of Oxford to produce 3 different goalkeeper shirts from 3xs up to 3xl. These almost certain present a loss when sold off at the end of the season. But they are still produced and available for all age groups.

Nike make huge profits every year from the sale of football shirts. We're talking about making a shirt for the current European Champions, and one of the favourites for the World Cup. Not only that, but Mary Earps was also voted FIFA Best Goalkeeper in the World last year.

If they produced a couple of thousand and didn't sell a single one, it still wouldn't make a fraction of a percent damage to their profits. In fact it would represent less of a loss in profits than they get from shirts being misprinted or damaged during manufacture and never leave the factories.

Womens sport shouldn't have to achieve parity with the mens game to be treated equally. That's the equivalent of saying that manufacturers won't make Oxford shirts because they don't sell in the same number as Man United shirts.

The women's game is growing hugely and needs to be supported as it grows. Nike have failed in this and there is no excuse for not putting this shirt out.
Is the England men's goalkeeper top available? I've tried looking on the official England site, but can only see GK shorts on there...

..although I may just be having a 'man look'.

Back
Top Bottom