Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet Manning is being disregarded by many on here for doing exactly what you have just described.
My hesitation with him is our situation, not his ability. Is he suited to this type of scenario? I’m not convinced. Maybe there’s only one way to find out.

On balance, I feel he had 3 1/2 good years here, compared to a poor 18mths. It’s right he left and should’ve done earlier, but I think history will remind us that he was generally good for the club, serving us well without actually winning anything.
He had a decent 3 1/2 years here but didn't actually achieve anything. He then took us backwards over his entire tenure (5 years) to the point we could get relegated with our biggest ever budget. His arrogance, tactics, inability to build a squad and picking on players got us here.

To be fair before MAPP took over Lincoln, the Cowley’s had taken them from the Conference to League One in 3 seasons, including the League 2 play offs in the season in between, in their first season back in the EFL. As a conference side the Cowleys also took Lincoln to the FA Cup quarter finals, the first non-league team in over 100 years to achieve this.

MAPP basically continued the fantastic work and results the Cowleys had already achieved with part of the squad they had assembled. He did do well there for a season, but once some of that elite squad departed then the results went downhill. The Cowley‘s achieved way more at Lincoln than MAPP, yet everyone keeps on about MAPP‘s one great season there.

Yes the Cowleys were unsuccessful at Huddersfield but the team they took on were not their players and they only had a Jan transfer window given to them and never got the chance to build. At Pompey they had a 43% winning record but overall failed to achieve the results required and Mous is now doing well with the Cowleys squad. I wish he was still at OUFC!

I‘m not suggesting the Cowleys be given the job here, but I’m sure with time they‘d do a decent job, and overall their achievements exceed MAPP’s. I don’t buy into the hype that because MAPP was a success here once he’s bound to do it again, that’s just nonsense, though I’m not saying he wouldn’t do well. He’d clearly have a lot of instant support but the wider picture needs to be considered rather than just potential euphoria for next Saturday.
As per my other reply on this, there was a big turn over of players between seasons 2019/20 and 2020/21, MAPPs style of play would be different to Lincoln under Cowley(s)

Once again, this is the Next Manager thread.

Can we leave the KR comments in another thread? We don’t need a load more ‘well, he was good for a few years’ vs ‘Robinson is the Antichrist!’ messages again? It’s been done already.

Strange comments.
I suspect that we will have no problem recruiting a manager
I agree that we will have no problem in getting a new manager in. I just hope those who’s job it is deciding on the next manager can make right choice.

Hard disagree with this. We played some nice football for a large part of his time here but never moved the club forwards with a promotion. The budget has increased a lot since he started and yet we've got a worse squad than he inherited plus the backroom staff has been absolutely gutted under his watch making it far harder to replace them.

He's had a better opportunity than pretty much any other manager we've had and he's absolutely screwed us, potentially taking us down this season and if not setting us back a couple of years at least. That's his legacy.
In terms of bringing youth through, KR achieved more than any manager since Denis or Horton.

For a season or two, he had us playing free-flowing, high scoring football.

He looked after the club and many players during the pandemic and takeover.

On the flip side, he was given far too much control and had a ‘my way or the highway’ philosophy - meaning he was too blinkered over defensive and CDM frailties, plus clearly upset a lot of staff hence the departures.

As a club, I’d say he took us forwards over his tenure but in every position on the field I think we’re weaker now than when he started.

For me his legacy will be twinged with ‘what ifs’ - if Baldock continued this season as he ended last year we’d be in the top 5. If Murphy had been fit and showed the promise we’ve seen in glimpses all season then we’d be flying. If he’d have shown Findlay more patience (as a Scottish player signed from America) rather than expect him to hit the ground running then we’d be more secure at the back.

Plus if he’d have sacked Wayne Brown, realising that all 3 keepers had gone backwards, then we’d have a new GK coach who could have improved at least 2 of them.

But finally, KR spoke of showing humility, players’ mental health and togetherness but many of his actions went against these themes. And this, to me, is why the players have underperformed, not been in the best of health to avoid injuries or just not shown up.

Sorry, realised this should be in the other thread.

The boring old 'never go back' trope was really being pedalled on Wasn't At The Game today. It's such a cliche, utterly meaningless, and frankly stupid argument. It has been disproved time and time again. Some numpty even used Jim Smith as an example of why it doesn't work. Jesus Christ, it was infuriating. Sometimes the callers are sensible and reasoned, often, however, it seems as though they've rounded up the village idiot from each corner of Oxfordshire to give their opinion.

I want Appleton back, I'll make no secret of that. (As did a number of the fans I spoke to pre-match today). If you don't want him back, fine, but offer some proper justification of this, please. If I hear one more 'never go back' I might have an aneurysm.

As none of the callers or anyone on the panel wanted to offer support for Appleton's return, I'll say this: He is the best manager we've had for the best part of 25 years. He's the only manager in that time whose departure has not been welcomed by the majority of the fan base. He's capable of building a balanced squad. He's balanced and pragmatic. His sides play good football. His arrival would give the fan base a much needed boost, and be as close to a universally popular decision as possible. He's got us out of a relegation battle before. He knows and has worked with people at the club, such has Fazakerly and Wayne Brown. So we've been told, he activity wants to come back. If he's willing to risk his legacy at the club, why should we stop him?

"Uh yeah, hello Jerooome. Never go baaack is what I say".

That was Bill from Thame on the line there, calling from his hotel in Lanzarote where he's been on holiday every February since 1954.
The second and first callers asked for Mapp, as did at least one more.

To be fair Scotchers many of your posts do show that you know nothing and just recycle what others have said or things that you’ve read. You have a good way of spinning things and with words, so I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but most on here take what you say with a pinch of salt and a bit of humour thrown in. I do enjoy reading your posts though for a number of reasons, mainly because you leave yourself so open to ridicule but also because you are so sincere behind the guff you put forward. I honestly do like your posts though, so please keep up the good work, hope you take what I say here with the humour it’s meant as well. A few drinks on a Sat night after the usual defeat probably plays a part 🤣

In relation to the above it’s already been widely said on here 4/5 were interviewed so we know that. The fact no appointment has been announced yet indicates no decision made and a 2nd round of interviews are most likely next week, so clearly nothing likely to be announced yet. If MAPP was a shoe in then he’d have been in the dugout today, so clearly things are being considered in detail. There’s nothing but the obvious rather than ITK info in what you have posted. If you heard 5 were interviewed and are ITK then who are the 5 and in what order and where were they interviewed?

As for knowing nothing, you did say KR might well be here until the end of the season a few weeks back, you did say everyone panicking back in summer 2022 were worrying over nothing, the transfer window would all be fine, and you did say stop the disquiet months ago about KR needing to be sacked, everyone was bedwetting basically for no reason. I’d say your track of being ITK in anyway is somewhat discredited.

I enjoy the banter and discussions on here, but after a few drinks to drown the sorrows of another defeat, another failure to keep a clean sheet and with the disgraceful mess KR has left the club in whilst getting a big pay off in the process, it does make me query some of the bullshit just a little.
He simply leaves himself open when it comes to being so specific, for example that 5 will be interviewed and nothing will be announced until mid week, fine, but rarely if ever right.
Where it becomes a little silly is when information is posted about players individual pay, where that kind of information will be known by a few people, and might be seen to be passing info over to someone. They might lose their jobs.

In terms of bringing youth through, KR achieved more than any manager since Denis or Horton.

For a season or two, he had us playing free-flowing, high scoring football.

He looked after the club and many players during the pandemic and takeover.

On the flip side, he was given far too much control and had a ‘my way or the highway’ philosophy - meaning he was too blinkered over defensive and CDM frailties, plus clearly upset a lot of staff hence the departures.

As a club, I’d say he took us forwards over his tenure but in every position on the field I think we’re weaker now than when he started.

For me his legacy will be twinged with ‘what ifs’ - if Baldock continued this season as he ended last year we’d be in the top 5. If Murphy had been fit and showed the promise we’ve seen in glimpses all season then we’d be flying. If he’d have shown Findlay more patience (as a Scottish player signed from America) rather than expect him to hit the ground running then we’d be more secure at the back.

Plus if he’d have sacked Wayne Brown, realising that all 3 keepers had gone backwards, then we’d have a new GK coach who could have improved at least 2 of them.

But finally, KR spoke of showing humility, players’ mental health and togetherness but many of his actions went against these themes. And this, to me, is why the players have underperformed, not been in the best of health to avoid injuries or just not shown up.

Sorry, realised this should be in the other thread.

Baldock did start this season like he finished the one before - injured.

Murphy has shown glimpses all season? He literally has put in a little bit of effort just before the Arsenal game (in an attempt to play in that game, hopefully shine and get a move away in my opinion) and done b****r all else, doesn’t and hasn’t ever wanted to play for us, a ridiculous signing and absolutely one of the biggest wastes of money we have ever signed.

Not really what ifs, we know those two have been disasters and given one is finished as a pro footballer because his body can’t do it and the other because he can’t be arsed with it anymore (well not for us) then they were only going to go one way.

I’d personally not welcome any of those named on here or bookies’ websites. I believe we need a hatchet man on a contract to the end of the season only: to secure Lge1 football at any cost, to sort out the players we should retain/pay off/release for next season, sort out a decent pre-season schedule which properly gets our players ready to earn points from the first game of next season, and then leave with a big bonus for having done so. Paving the way for a progressive coach being in place next season.
A Sam Allardyce type.

I think the new manager should install three rules:
Rule 1 : the players have to shoot on sight doesn't matter if your 6 yards out or 20
Rule 2: defending starts from the front you lose the ball you hunt in packs to get it back
Rule 3: once you cross that white line you have fun play your game and don't leave the pitch with any regrets
3 simple rules that could be affective

I got us at 66/1, was purely a commiseration bet should the worst happen and earns me a pretty penny, I’d still rather lose my tenner though!
Same here. I put a tenner on at 50/1. I still desperately want us to stay up - the winnings would be no compensation.

A Sam Allardyce type.

I don’t see the point of any temporary firefighter coming in now and then having this process for another month or so in the summer. Managers don‘t have transfer windows. Someone give me a name of any worthwhile manager who might be available in the summer that we couldn’t get now if we really wanted to.

The players will respond much better to a permanent appointment than playing for someone who is really only interested in his £50,000 bonus for keeping us safe. If we were 10 points adrift at the foot of the league then I could sort of understand the collective coming together of players, fans and a temporary manager to haul us clear and off he walks into the sunset with his bonus - thanks very much.

We aren’t there though. We are on a terrible terrible run but it isn’t a miracle that’s required. I‘d say keeping us safe now is similar to what KR took on five years ago - yes, we stayed up but, like now, we should have done. I don’t think KR would have accepted the job if L2 looked inevitable and I don’t think any manager of repute - your Appletons, McCanns etc - would take this job now if he thought L2 looked anything like likely.

If the new man can get that win to get us going then we could be effectively safe within a month and he’d have a free month to really assess this squad and have a better idea of the rebuild. Leave it until May and it will be June before an appointment and the beckoning of another chaotic summer without really knowing any of the players in proper game situations. Now is unquestionably the right time to make the right choice and with it a three and a half year contract with the clear remit of safety this season, a rebuild and vast improvement next season and knocking the door of the play offs, minimum play offs the next and automatic promotion (if not already achieved) in the final year.

Seeing the mess we are in I don’t think many managers will be too keen on the board demanding promotion next season, if that’s the job description then you’ll see a fair few walking away from this challenge. We’ve set ourselves back a year by this season and while there’s no quick fix there are steps that can hasten progress and a permanent appointment now is the first step.

Last edited:
I believe Tiger was planning on going home today.
He was playing a major role in the selection of the new manager and part of the interviews
Cheers UTO. So do you think the process is now concluded and an announcement could be made today or tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom