Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's important to remember that it was the players who finally forced the club to act after the Bristol Rovers debacle
Simon Eastwood made it clear they thought we were fighting relegation prior to the game and Cam pointedly failed to back the manager in his interview afterwards
It looks like they decided that things couldn't carry on and they made it impossible for the club hierarchy to continue to ignore the elephant in the room
I suspect that whoever comes in will have 100% backing from the players, who have been as frustrated as the fans
It was done after Cambridge, no matter what people tried to claim at the time.

It doesn't mean that at all.
You were asking for 'proof' that going back was a bad thing.
It is generally said in football that going back is a bad thing.
These are the only 2 examples that I can think of for Oxford
How often has going back been a good thing?
Mourinho at Chelsea? Won things but not as good as first time. Ferguson at Peterborough?
We finished second under Jim Smith in his first season when he came back. I’d certainly take that next season…

It's been a long time for the fanbase to have been divided over the previous manager, the atmosphere and feel good factor has been missing for such a long time now.

How great would it be if Mapp was announced before Derby? You could market "Return of the Mapp", get fans in the turnstiles and give him an incredible reception.

The place would be buzzing with his name ringing round again, the players will soon feel the backing and love for him, the respect will be there from day one.

Can't sit here and pretend I wouldn't be a little buzzing about that!

Mourinho at Chelsea? Won things but not as good as first time. Ferguson at Peterborough?
Good excellent examples already given.

Jones - Luton
Howe - Bournemouth

Jones at Luton, Pearson at Leicester, Howe at Bournemouth, Coleman at Accrington. Not only did they do ok, they went back and did incredible jobs.

Not to say that will happen with Appleton, but there is precedent that it can.

It's been a long time for the fanbase to have been divided over the previous manager, the atmosphere and feel good factor has been missing for such a long time now.

How great would it be if Mapp was announced before Derby? You could market "Return of the Mapp", get fans in the turnstiles and give him an incredible reception.

The place would be buzzing with his name ringing round again, the players will soon feel the backing and love for him, the respect will be there from day one.

I think this is the most probable scenario

Jones at Luton, Pearson at Leicester, Howe at Bournemouth, Coleman at Accrington. Not only did they do ok, they went back and did incredible jobs.

Throw in Pulis at Stoke on there.

No thanks
Morison has more of a managerial track record than Mous did before taking the job, and from all accounts did a decent job at a mess of a club which is Cardiff City.

Not everyone in the discussion will have a managerial track record, but it doesn’t mean they won’t make a great coach.

Plus I do like the idea that our next manager could be someone who played against us when we had the likes of Eddie Hutchinson and Craig Nelthorpe in our squad.

We finished second under Jim Smith in his first season when he came back. I’d certainly take that next season…
Second in a two horse race with Dagenham with only one available automatic promotion spot, imploded against Exeter and then fell apart the next season.

I heard, though whether it had substance or not Im not certain, that a couple of the factors in MApp departing ( as well as the chance to increase his earnings) was the lack of available finance to move forward by the owners/ board at the time, coupled with the situation that arose in the personal life of the then chairman- both of which were kind of linked- also heard that MApp wasn't too happy with the situation the then chairman found himself in

like Ive mentioned, unsubstantiated, - those particular rumours may have a connection of sorts to 'whispers' heard in the North stand toilets at the time

different, high profile owners now, with financial clout- and very unlikely to be in the situation of public laundering of personal washing too

Apart from him being a 'slow starter' , we need points, lots of them , 'now', MApp would be a decent appointment, certainly with next season and beyond in mind...... but we do need to avoid relegation first

I'm trying to be positive but I find it hard to trust this board to bring in an appointment which will unite the fans or be exciting. I hope I'm wrong and I may well be.

I heard, though whether it had substance or not Im not certain, that a couple of the factors in MApp departing ( as well as the chance to increase his earnings) was the lack of available finance to move forward by the owners/ board at the time, coupled with the situation that arose in the personal life of the then chairman- both of which were kind of linked- also heard that MApp wasn't too happy with the situation the then chairman found himself in

like Ive mentioned, unsubstantiated, - those particular rumours may have a connection of sorts to 'whispers' heard in the North stand toilets at the time

different, high profile owners now, with financial clout- and very unlikely to be in the situation of public laundering of personal washing too

Apart from him being a 'slow starter' , we need points, lots of them , 'now', MApp would be a decent appointment, certainly with next season and beyond in mind...... but we do need to avoid relegation first
Wasn't a cocaine-fuelled affair was it? 👀 :ROFLMAO:

I believe he wanted more funds to bring players in, that have been mentioned by Ryan, and Eales wouldn’t give it to him, and Eales was gong through divorce at the time. So he went to Leicester as assistant. I don’t blame him, and will welcome him back with open arms.

I believe he wanted more funds to bring players in, that have been mentioned by Ryan, and Eales wouldn’t give it to him, and Eales was gong through divorce at the time. So he went to Leicester as assistant. I don’t blame him, and will welcome him back with open arms.

To top things off Eales then decided to have one big go at promotion after MApp walked & gave Clotet a truck load of cash that he spunked up the wall.

Imagine the squad MApp would’ve built with the budgets we’ve had since he left.

Harry Redknapp - Pompey
Promotion and survival first time, FA Cup win second time (won't get into the dodgy finances though!)

Steve Coppell - Palace
Managed 3 times, promotion in first and second stints there, then kept them up in the 3rd stint.

Mourinho - Chelsea
Say no more about the first sint, League and Cup in the second stint.

Tony Pulis - Stoke
Hired to save from relegation in the Championship, kept them up and stabilised them. Second stint earned promotion to the Premier League and stabilised them there again.

Capello and Zidane - Madrid
Both won the league again in their second spells in charge.

Lippi - Juve
Won back to back titles in his second spell.

Walter Smith - Rangers
Okay so it's Rangers and another less competitive league, but another who was extremely successful in a second spell.

More recently:

Paul Simpson - Carlisle
Won back to back promotions in his first spell, returned to them in the relegation zone and won 5/7 to keep them up. Now they're 3rd and on for automatic promotion or playoffs.

It's a myth really, some work and some don't. Depends on the club and managers circumstances.

Harry Redknapp - Pompey
Promotion and survival first time, FA Cup win second time (won't get into the dodgy finances though!)

Steve Coppell - Palace
Managed 3 times, promotion in first and second stints there, then kept them up in the 3rd stint.

Mourinho - Chelsea
Say no more about the first sint, League and Cup in the second stint.

Tony Pulis - Stoke
Hired to save from relegation in the Championship, kept them up and stabilised them. Second stint earned promotion to the Premier League and stabilised them there again.

Capello and Zidane - Madrid
Both won the league again in their second spells in charge.

Lippi - Juve
Won back to back titles in his second spell.

Walter Smith - Rangers
Okay so it's Rangers and another less competitive league, but another who was extremely successful in a second spell.

More recently:

Paul Simpson - Carlisle
Won back to back promotions in his first spell, returned to them in the relegation zone and won 5/7 to keep them up. Now they're 3rd and on for automatic promotion or playoffs.

It's a myth really, some work and some don't. Depends on the club and managers circumstances.
Maybe my favourite post of all time.

A stupid myth well and truly busted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom