How to complete the season

I thought the League 2 situation was just a vote and not set in concrete as it has to be rubber stamped by the powers that be who one assumes will make a final decision that applies across the 3 Leagues after the 4th one tells them what they must do of course.
if the Premier League decide on no relegation then the pyramid comes to a halt and further if the EFL accept this then a very dangerous precedent will have been set.

I still think the 3 EFL leagues should all finish the same way, and what gives L2 the right to cancel relegation?

I think 23 clubs 'have the right to cancel relegation' as they wisely foresaw the 24th club being demoted for (repeat) financial irregularities.

I read somewhere that for league 2 it didn’t make a difference to the finishing places between weighted and unweighted PPG, but could be wrong.

Yes i thought that too with who got promoted but one format resulted in Swindon being Top again could be wrong

The EFL have said on numerous occasions that they’re going to use the unweighted PPG to sort the leagues.

It makes no difference to Wycombe and Oxford though because we make the play offs regardless, by the sounds of it it’s going to be the traditional four team set up.

Really? On what formal ratified constitutional basis?
Have to agree with @mariokempes over all 3 leagues adhering to the same ruling. The three leagues are a body of one split into 3, they need to be the same act as one you can’t have a case of we will do this you can do that and they can do what the hell you want.
It has to be as one.

I think 23 clubs 'have the right to cancel relegation' as they wisely foresaw the 24th club being demoted for (repeat) financial irregularities.
So Macclesfield and Stevenage are allowed to
Escape the drop? Barrow should be allowed to come up. But what about Harrogate they’ve more or less earned the right to play off to get into the league, or are the EFL going to bully the national league like what the premiership do sometimes to the EFL.

Escape the drop?
One of the would have anyway, due to Bury going bust. Barrow should still come up to make up the numbers, and annoyingly Swindon will probably go up to make the numbers in our division if promotion and relegation is abandoned.

The EFL have said on numerous occasions that they’re going to use the unweighted PPG to sort the leagues.

It makes no difference to Wycombe and Oxford though because we make the play offs regardless, by the sounds of it it’s going to be the traditional four team set up.

it makes a difference to me as a football fan. Clubs being allowed to cast a vote on something when self interest dictates how you will vote..

How about putting the options to Burton..Blackpool..Bristol Rovers...Lincoln and Shrewsbury and let them have a secret vote how does that sound? or if as has been suggested a vote has already taken place make the decision based on how those clubs mentioned voted..

Or the EFL could say we tell you what here is our decision now begin your planning for Next Season

The chairman of Aldershot (who are in the 'National League') was on the radio this morning, being interviewed about finances. Along the way he and the interviewer mentioned merging the conference and L2 and dividing it on a regional basis (apparently that would save clubs a fortune, but it wasn't specified how) and introducing 'another division' with the old canard of Prem B-teams in it (again no details). So both ideas are obviously still floating about and being actively discussed at some level.

it makes a difference to me as a football fan. Clubs being allowed to cast a vote on something when self interest dictates how you will vote..

How about putting the options to Burton..Blackpool..Bristol Rovers...Lincoln and Shrewsbury and let them have a secret vote how does that sound? or if as has been suggested a vote has already taken place make the decision based on how those clubs mentioned voted..

Or the EFL could say we tell you what here is our decision now begin your planning for Next Season

All votes are like that, from where to hold the Christmas party to Brexit, just in this case it's more obvious.

The chairman of Aldershot (who are in the 'National League') was on the radio this morning, being interviewed about finances. Along the way he and the interviewer mentioned merging the conference and L2 and dividing it on a regional basis (apparently that would save clubs a fortune, but it wasn't specified how) and introducing 'another division' with the old canard of Prem B-teams in it (again no details). So both ideas are obviously still floating about and being actively discussed at some level.

Never get the obsession with regional leagues, you lose the kudos of playing now level football, some decent away days/big clubs that happen to be a couple of hours further away (Blackpool/Sunderland) to gain an extra couple of supposedly local games to likes of Stevenage/Colchester. I can’t see it saving clubs a fortune either.

Never get the obsession with regional leagues, you lose the kudos of playing now level football, some decent away days/big clubs that happen to be a couple of hours further away (Blackpool/Sunderland) to gain an extra couple of supposedly local games to likes of Stevenage/Colchester. I can’t see it saving clubs a fortune either.
These ideas are normally put forward by people with little knowledge of lower league football

Nothing has yet to be decided. All decisions have to be passed by more than 50% of members (clubs) in the EFL and more than half the members/clubs in the championship.
So league 2 can decide to conclude the season but cannot unilaterally say we use PPG to decide final league positions or that there will be no relegation as this is not what happens when the season in concluded.
The championship teams will want promotion and relegation to avoid the premiership saying that there is no relegation if project restart fails.
As I understand it most clubs want penalties decided before the final league tables are set. So it will be Morecambe who go down in league 2, god knows what will happen in other championship.
There will be p,at offs but it Is only with 4 teams unless the EFL vote for changes and changes which are agreed as explained above which is unlikely as costs are likely to be large. Listening to the Burton Albion chair last night put things in perspective and his opinion will eventually be what right thinking clubs do.

I think in all likelihood we will be in a play off against either Portsmouth or Fleetwood town Sometime in the next 5/6 weeks. Whether Woodburn, Taylor or Holland are playing is another question...

Escape the drop? Barrow should be allowed to come up. But what about Harrogate they’ve more or less earned the right to play off to get into the league, or are the EFL going to bully the national league like what the premiership do sometimes to the EFL.

It was a only joke about Swindling, Baz...

I’ll go fetch your blood pressure pills and double the dose...

Really? On what formal ratified constitutional basis?
Have to agree with @mariokempes over all 3 leagues adhering to the same ruling. The three leagues are a body of one split into 3, they need to be the same act as one you can’t have a case of we will do this you can do that and they can do what the hell you want.
It has to be as one.
I'll ask the question again- on what formal ratified constitutional basis do they have to do this? I agree that it would be great if all leagues could adopt the same approach but the very fact that L2 have binned the season (subject to final vote) and the Championship are looking to play on shows there is no intention to have the same outcome across them. So Bazzer, whilst I applaud your sentiments, statements like ''they need to be the same act' and 'It has to be as one' hold no weight constitutionally, the rules of which is what the clubs ultimately have to adhere to.

Which is why I said it wasn't explained, because I don't understand it either! Maybe hotel bills if teams can travel on the day to a few more matches - but it wouldn't mean no hotel bills for teams travelling to Plymouth, Torquay or Yeovil from the other end of the 'Southern' division or Midlands teams travelling to Sunderland, Fleetwood or Barrow in the Northern division. plus you end up playing the same teams more often and would never play some other teams at your level unless you both got promoted.

Got it.........

Promotion from the NL to Lg2 (Current leaders plus 1)
Promotion from Lg2 to Lg1 .............(Current leaders plus 2) .....................applied after Swindle fall into admin and the points are deducted from this season.
Promotion from Lg1 to Championship. (Current leaders plus 2)
Promotion from Champ to Prem (Current leaders plus 1)

All "Plus" teams based purely on current position.

Suits me fine. I`ll vote for it.

Back
Top Bottom