Matches 2023-24 Pre-Season Friendlies

Wow, 40 games?! You've trumped me and so many other fans with your depth of football knowledge who foolishly voted Brown as player of the season, but maybe he only played well in the games you missed!
Missed them because I had to work, no need to be a pompous arrogant pig, but you do well at that.

Entitled to your opinion as are many others, but player of the season was hardly an award to be proud of last season was it!

Missed them because I had to work, no need to be a pompous arrogant pig, but you do well at that.

Entitled to your opinion as are many others, but player of the season was hardly an award to be proud of last season was it!
Square pegs in round holes again. None of those mentioned are proper out and out CDM’s. Gorrin just isn’t going to make it back and be good enough for a side with League One promotion aspirations.

I‘m not especially worried about the score line in pre season matches, and it’s early days still as we build up, but the point is we need quality players playing in their best positions, and not trying to make do with stop gaps, as this then also takes them away from where they would be far more effective.

I hope manning doesnt make the same mistakes as clown and make do with stop gaps.
Thats where we became unstuck last season.

Lets get things into perspective here. If we had taken our chances last night and we had 2 one on ones which there keeper saved, and Cams effort that smashed against the bar, we would of won 3:0 and everyone would of been happy.
Beadle didn't have a shot to save.
We are not far away from being a competitive side.
A proper LB /LWB is a must. If the said trialist that played against Barnet is Denver Hume as some on here have said it might be, then that will tick that box.
Chatting to a Pompey ST holder friend of mine about Denver Hume and he say as a LWB he is good. As a LB not so good. Where have we seen that before?
All depends on how LM wants us to play i spose.

I think the majority need to relax a little bit.

There is plenty of time to make the signings required. If we sign the players that we are targeting , then we will not have the bed wetting come August end, I am convinced of that.

We could have pumped Eastleigh last night, but what would LM have learnt from that? Give the bloke a chance to get HIS team together and judge him after 15 games of the league campaign.

There is plenty of time to make the signings required. If we sign the players that we are targeting , then we will not have the bed wetting come August end, I am convinced of that.

We could have pumped Eastleigh last night, but what would LM have learnt from that? Give the bloke a chance to get HIS team together and judge him after 15 games of the league campaign.
I think that it is a vocal minority bed wetting to be fair.
Most realise where we are, what pre season games are for and that we will make more signings

Lets get things into perspective here. If we had taken our chances last night and we had 2 one on ones which there keeper saved, and Cams effort that smashed against the bar, we would of won 3:0 and everyone would of been happy.
Beadle didn't have a shot to save.
We are not far away from being a competitive side.
A proper LB /LWB is a must. If the said trialist that played against Barnet is Denver Hume as some on here have said it might be, then that will tick that box.
Chatting to a Pompey ST holder friend of mine about Denver Hume and he say as a LWB he is good. As a LB not so good. Where have we seen that before?
All depends on how LM wants us to play i spose.
Exactly this. We were miles away from a competitive side just over a month ago and the club has needed a massive rebuild (which realistically wont be fully complete until after NEXT summer). Right now its about being competitive again. The progress has been excellent, and we're only 2-3 players from being a decent looking side again. What's not to like?

We could have pumped Eastleigh last night, but what would LM have learnt from that? Give the bloke a chance to get HIS team together and judge him after 15 games of the league campain.

Well quite.

It’s going to take at least two windows to sort out the mess left by Robinson if not longer. A bit of patience is required and expectations need to be reined in a little.

Just be thankful we’ve got a hard working professional running the football side of things, a complete contrast to the previous incumbent.

Cross post from the transfer thread for relevance, easier to paste this over...

Have been on a preseason break from the forum myself but enough is enough - anyone trying to draw on anything from last night is going down a ridiculous path, particularly when there were actually a number of positives. Having slept on it:

- It was the most pre-season friendly-type friendly I have seen for years, damp squid doesn't cover it.

- We didn't look like we got out of second gear, the focus seemed entirely on shape, passing rotations, and minutes.

- Rodrigues was tidy, Brown was solid, Harris needs minutes, not a single shot on target to trouble Beadle.

- Smyth should be in first team plans. I would agree with @Colin B that it was a MOM performance.

- Sam Long has been given permission to pass the halfway line again and the difference in him already last night was striking.

- Watkins probably worst player on pitch but he put in 100% effort and everything seemed to be going through him. I liked his work rate but it just didn't seem to fall for him.

- Striker clearly needed but we all know that.

- We have to keep Goodhram.

Last night was exactly as expected from a PSF, even watching it didn't feel frustrating as it didn't feel as if we ever even got going. The shape held very well, the defence didn't worry me, and that midfield could be a real force once they have had a few more weeks together. Most importantly, the team looks like it knows what it's doing and how Manning wants to play.

Stop. F*cking. Panicking.

Exactly this. We were miles away from a competitive side just over a month ago and the club has needed a massive rebuild (which realistically wont be fully complete until after NEXT summer). Right now its about being competitive again. The progress has been excellent, and we're only 2-3 players from being a decent looking side again. What's not to like?
Another interpretation is that we are still some way from being a winning team, unless your take on being competitive’ is grinding out low-scoring draws but not really troubling the opponents’ net.

GK department - time will tell if we have upgraded this. Having 3 senior keepers isn’t really a change on 12mths ago.

Defence - Partnerships will form but regardless of which 4/5 play in there, they will continue to be let down unless we defend from the front. I’ve seen limited change in that respect and we’re a little over 2wks before the season kicks off.

Midfield - Plenty of options but several all competing for the CDM role or at least they play like one. My radical solution would be to sell CamBran and use the money and wage saving to fund a number 9.

Attack - I think and hope this season will be a good one for GO’D, he’s raw and no amount of coaching can help defenders compete against a powerhouse like him. He’s also our biggest asset in terms of resale value IMHO. But we clearly need at least 3 other striking options. I feel we’ve regressed here since 12mths ago.

Squad depth and ability to bring on players who will improve the team - I do think this has improved with players like Tyler, Negru and others exciting options.

Fans’ optimism has risen markedly but that wasn’t a big ask after the depressing 18mths we’ve faced. But my alternative view is that we shouldn’t rely too heavily on a good prospect from NL, a hardly prolific new striker, a youngster in goal and a couple of others released by relegated or underperforming sides.

I agree with what you say, however it was only really two, maybe three posters that were panicking.

I think that the vast majority are relaxed and able to see the progression happening on and off the pitch. I'll be surprised if we haven't had two new signings announced before the QPR game which will allow us to play our last PSF with the first team squad virtually complete.

We will still have a month to make a few tweaks if needed or add players who become available later in the window because of moves further up the pyramid.

There is lots to be positive about, and if come next May the only negative on this season is a draw against Eastleigh then I think we'll all be very happy!

OWS the section for buying tickets ( Swansea PSF on Friday) is not working- my youngest lad and his partner were planning on coming to the game. He cant access buying a ticket online atm , if he cant get them (online) today, he wont be bothering as its only a PSF

OWS the section for buying tickets ( Swansea PSF on Friday) is not working- my youngest lad and his partner were planning on coming to the game. He cant access buying a ticket online atm , if he cant get them (online) today, he wont be bothering as its only a PSF

Can they ring the Ticket Office and pick them up at the ground on the night?

Can they ring the Ticket Office and pick them up at the ground on the night?
hes at work on teams meetings allday , so making a call not an option (today)

I cant go to the ticket office today for him as Ive got a hospital appointment

I just tried it, and it was working fine for me Sarge, so not sure what he's doing differently?

I went to the Ticket Site, then clicked the tab for the Swansea game, picked a random seat that was showing as available, and all was as it should be. Just a thought though, only a few blocks are open, so you might want to check that he's not trying to buy in one of the blocks that isn't open, as the SSL, fence end, where you normally sit is not available for this game.

Having said all that, there should be no problem buying on the night.

Back
Top Bottom