Matches 2023-24 Pre-Season Friendlies

People saying about CDM, we have McGuane, McEachran, Smyth and Brannagan who can all play there plus Gorrin if he proves himself.
None of them are a CDM though Steve, not trying to argue for the sake of it but gorrin is the only one who is and he’s probably a month or two from fitness and could just as easily break down again.

People saying about CDM, we have McGuane, McEachran, Smyth and Brannagan who can all play there plus Gorrin if he proves himself.
Square pegs in round holes again. None of those mentioned are proper out and out CDM’s. Gorrin just isn’t going to make it back and be good enough for a side with League One promotion aspirations.

I‘m not especially worried about the score line in pre season matches, and it’s early days still as we build up, but the point is we need quality players playing in their best positions, and not trying to make do with stop gaps, as this then also takes them away from where they would be far more effective.

People saying about Striker, we have Bodin, O'Donkor, Harris, Wildschut and Murphy who can all play there plus Watkins if he proves himself.

People saying about Striker, we have Bodin, O'Donkor, Harris, Wildschut and Murphy who can all play there plus Watkins if he proves himself.
Watkins, from what I saw tonight. Will not be good enough. It’s a player to fill a gap if we sign him, not improve the squad. We signed enough of them last season.

I don't like being negative, but Watkins is a no for me.
Positives now if we can find a finisher he will score loads. I can see why RR had so many assists last season, he can thread a pass through the eye of a needle.
Tyler looked very good as did Moore and Thornley.
James Beadle although he didn't have to make a save, he did worry me. If that's how LM wants us to play then Eastwood is going to struggle.
We are not there yet but it won't need a lot to make us contenders

Yep, no team in history has ever recovered from such a huge gap with 7 months of the seaaon left!

It's a pre-season game with half the squad! Maybe chill a little?
I am chilled Scotch. I went to 40+ games last season. What I saw tonight was the same problem as last year, that’s all I’m saying. Put brown in a back 3, I’d have no problem. He just can’t play left back in a back 4. We look so slow & pedestrian and his first thought every time is to go back, not to take on his man.

I don't like being negative, but Watkins is a no for me.
Positives now if we can find a finisher he will score loads. I can see why RR had so many assists last season, he can thread a pass through the eye of a needle.
Tyler looked very good as did Moore and Thornley.
James Beadle although he didn't have to make a save, he did worry me. If that's how LM wants us to play then Eastwood is going to struggle.
We are not there yet but it won't need a lot to make us contenders

Watkins is a strange one in that I feel we already have an identical player on the books in Wildschut. It would only make sense if one winger was leaving.

I am chilled Scotch. I went to 40+ games last season. What I saw tonight was the same problem as last year, that’s all I’m saying. Put brown in a back 3, I’d have no problem. He just can’t play left back in a back 4. We look so slow & pedestrian and his first thought every time is to go back, not to take on his man.

Wow, 40 games?! You've trumped me and so many other fans with your depth of football knowledge who foolishly voted Brown as player of the season, but maybe he only played well in the games you missed!

Brown has to play in a back 3, if that's the only way to get him on the pitch then we play a back 3. Brown has to be in the starting 11.
So we need imo a LWB and an out and out finisher.

I agree, defensively we should be absolutely fine, Moore and Thorniley will be solid if not spectacular. I thought Beadle has potential, and certainly is better on the ball than Easty.

So we hope Stevens is a good player but we do need a proper left back, Brown did what he does but attacking is very limited, as was Longy....Smyth tried hard but didn't really shine, Rodrigues showed a few glimpses but did huff and puff a bit....Tyler and Cam were the stand outs for me. Harris was ok, once he gets an understanding with others I hope he will be good. Watkins didn't really get a look in, ran about a lot but that was it. Bodin tried to get involved when he came on but no product.

We have to hope Browne, Murphy, McEachran will get this team firing, and with Cam, Rodrigues, and a striker (Harris or ANOther) I suspect that may become our first choice front six, with Tyler pushing the wide players hard....so with Moore Thorniley, Stevens and a new LB and Beadle in goal that is looking like our first choice XI. Will we score enough goals tho?

Back
Top Bottom