National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

But what about when Turkey joins the EU and 80m brown people (most of whom are Islamic Muslims) all at once decide to decamp to UK simultaneously?

We were promised that we would take control of our boarders! They will be able to take a flight to Ireland and waltz over the boarder to Albion unchallenged!

They may have difficulty with Turkey joining, human rights, democracy, culture etc.
Race & religion had little to do with my Leave vote.

What a wonderful thing it was to see a political leader talk positively about the UK and our potential. Lots of empty words and insults, granted, but it's a sea change from listening to doom mongers say what's wrong, complain about how awful Brexit is and stock answer of state control to everything.

Of course Johnson's Brexit plan is still a figment of pure imagination until we see it, but as a speech, a rallying call, pretty good. It won't convert lefties, but it was never intended to. Judging by how triggered some are on social media, it hit the right tone for Conservative party supporters.

They may have difficulty with Turkey joining, human rights, democracy, culture etc.
Race & religion had little to do with my Leave vote.
Yeah, but Leavers are all rampant Gammon racist homophobic xenophobes who have ruined the lives of the young, etc, etc, etc. Leavers are all thick morons who believed a bus slogan and are unable to think for themselves. It's all Farage, Gove and Johnson's fault.

Is that about right? Or did I miss something from the stereotype?

What a wonderful thing it was to see a political leader talk positively about the UK and our potential. Lots of empty words and insults, granted, but it's a sea change from listening to doom mongers say what's wrong, complain about how awful Brexit is and stock answer of state control to everything.

Of course Johnson's Brexit plan is still a figment of pure imagination until we see it, but as a speech, a rallying call, pretty good. It won't convert lefties, but it was never intended to. Judging by how triggered some are on social media, it hit the right tone for Conservative party supporters.

Anyone who believes in fiscal conservatism shouldn't have enjoyed the speech either.

Yes, there was lip service to being the party of capitalism, but then there was "20,000 new police officers", "levelling up education funding", "investing in transport", "putting in gigabit broadband" and "the biggest investment in hospital infrastructure for a generation".

In other words, more government x5. Plus, they're going to cut taxes.

As this was all after opening the speech with a self-congratulatory nod to how well Cameron's austerity measures had worked in reducing the deficit.

It's straight out of the Trump playbook, page one - offer everything to everybody just to get into, and stay in power. Doesn't matter if you can't practically deliver what you promise.....because people will forget over time, as long as you give them other things to vent about.

The dishonesty drives me nuts.
Is there a case for infrastructure investment, even in the face of a costly Brexit? Yes, of course.
Is there a case for tax reductions? Yes, of course.
But don't pretend that More Spending + Less Revenue doesn't = ballooning short-term deficit; because of course it does.

I would have far more respect for BoJo if he actually proposed free market solutions to any of the issues. Then at least he'd be ideologically consistent and honest. But he doesn't, because he isn't. He's a populist, pure and simple.

But never mind, eh. The Culham Centre for Fusion Energy is going to save us by developing fusion reactors!
(Just don't mention that the bulk of the funding for the tokomaks there comes directly from the EU)

Agree. But I'd argue we aren't in fiscally conservative times, where a message of living within our means really isn't what the electorate want to hear after so many years of austerity, over a free :poop: for everyone, make it rain scenario. The likes of Sanders and Corbyn have shown that you can generate a lot of votes and press by vague offers of spending that they know they can't hope to get close to doing. But by that time, it's too late - Labours student fees thing is a great example, dropped in a New York minute after the last election. The current US President is another example. Fiscally unconservative.

I'm not a fan out of it, but faced with another election of the Tories "being boring", I have to concede the populist spending thing is right for the times. Few will even remember what was said in 6 months time, such is how the world works now.

Changing tack, the plan sent to the EU about Ireland is a big step forward from what was there before. It flies in the face of the talk of Boris and the Tories wishing for a No Deal. It has a chance of being something every can compromise on.

Agree. But I'd argue we aren't in fiscally conservative times, where a message of living within our means really isn't what the electorate want to hear after so many years of austerity, over a free :poop: for everyone, make it rain scenario. The likes of Sanders and Corbyn have shown that you can generate a lot of votes and press by vague offers of spending that they know they can't hope to get close to doing. But by that time, it's too late - Labours student fees thing is a great example, dropped in a New York minute after the last election. The current US President is another example. Fiscally unconservative.

I'm not a fan out of it, but faced with another election of the Tories "being boring", I have to concede the populist spending thing is right for the times. Few will even remember what was said in 6 months time, such is how the world works now.

But although I think Corbyn would be a disaster, both administratively and economically, for the country - he at least tells you where the money for everything is going to come from. He's going to tax the rich and he's going to tax corporates. The numbers won't add up - especially once you take economic contraction into account - but at least there's changes on both sides of the ledger. More tax revenue; more spending.

Boris (and Trump)'s economics are entirely unbalanced. We'll tax the rich less, we'll give the poor more and everyone will be happy!

I don't disagree that it's a tactic that seems to work, but we should be really ashamed as a nation (both the UK and the US) that it does, and that we seem collectively incapable of questioning even the basic economic grounding of our politicians' ideas.

And hell, I'm not even suggesting that BoJo should be proposing austerity.
Make the economic case that increased infrastructure spending and reduced taxation will each boost the economy, increase investment and create jobs, if that's what you believe. Just acknowledge that this costs in the short term, and will have to come either from cutting spending elsewhere or, more likely, increased borrowing. Don't lead with "Everything is great in Britain because the Conservative party cleared up the country's debt and deficit" if the policies you're proposing are inevitably going to lead to debt and deficit.
It just makes you look like a hypocritical a**e.

Changing tack, the plan sent to the EU about Ireland is a big step forward from what was there before. It flies in the face of the talk of Boris and the Tories wishing for a No Deal. It has a chance of being something every can compromise on.

I'm unsure. It's complex.

1) It'll require the EU to compromise on customs checks. Ireland will hate that, but they might just do it because if the alternative is No Deal then customs checks are going to come into force anyhow.

2) But it also essentially includes a unilateral time limit on the Irish regulatory zone - albeit one that's going to be decided upon in Stormont, rather than Westminster. That seems to imply that every four years, the Northern Irish assembly will get to vote on reverting to a position of no regulatory alignment - in other words, the No Deal scenario. I imagine the EU will complain about this.

3) And the final head scratcher for me - if the Northern Irish assembly do vote at any one time to maintain a cross-Ireland regulatory zone, but the rest of the UK decides to modify regulations to enable trade deals with other parts of the world, then that's going to mean that we have different regulations in different parts of the UK? And therefore the possibility that we won't be able to ship certain items across the Irish Sea? How did they get the DUP to agree to that?? Or did the DUP just assume that they'll always be in power (which is a risk), and therefore they're definitely going to have the opportunity to vote down this regulatory alignment at the first time of asking? In which case, #2 is going to become an even bigger hurdle for the EU.

That’s how all votes work though, if you can’t be arsed to get off your a**e you can have no complaints.
Yes it is, but it doesn't change the fact that quoting either '52% of the people voted', or 'the will of the people', to make a point, is factually wrong.

I'm unsure. It's complex.

1) It'll require the EU to compromise on customs checks. Ireland will hate that, but they might just do it because if the alternative is No Deal then customs checks are going to come into force anyhow.

2) But it also essentially includes a unilateral time limit on the Irish regulatory zone - albeit one that's going to be decided upon in Stormont, rather than Westminster. That seems to imply that every four years, the Northern Irish assembly will get to vote on reverting to a position of no regulatory alignment - in other words, the No Deal scenario. I imagine the EU will complain about this.

3) And the final head scratcher for me - if the Northern Irish assembly do vote at any one time to maintain a cross-Ireland regulatory zone, but the rest of the UK decides to modify regulations to enable trade deals with other parts of the world, then that's going to mean that we have different regulations in different parts of the UK? And therefore the possibility that we won't be able to ship certain items across the Irish Sea? How did they get the DUP to agree to that?? Or did the DUP just assume that they'll always be in power (which is a risk), and therefore they're definitely going to have the opportunity to vote down this regulatory alignment at the first time of asking? In which case, #2 is going to become an even bigger hurdle for the EU.
The plan also pretty much relies on a functioning NI assembly, which has now been moribund for almost 1000 days.

Is Boris capable of bringing power sharing back to NI?

Surely it’s a big step back? The EU will have zero truck with it.

If Central Government turns the tap on then the wider economy grows, tax take increases, unemployment goes down etc etc.
We`ve been planning for a massive infrastructure and service shift across three hospital sites for the last 5 years, we missed the funding last year but have now got it, roughly £475 million.
That money will go to local suppliers, contractors, sub contractors etc with no PFI or Carillion involved and, most importantly, almost 13,000 staff got a positive message in their mailbox.
If (I know!) he delivers on his targets the Tories will be in power for at least the next decade and the opposition will be scratching around in the wilderness to find someone who`s thigh might, or might not, have got touched 20+ years ago.

Crack on Boris!! (y) ✅ ?

Exposed (again) !!!

Boris shot himself in the foot during his speech at conference, but no one seems to have noticed, well not yet.

The Prime Minister mentioned the Fusion Energy project in Culham, Oxfordshire, giving it as an example of British strengths and abilities. It is indeed cutting edge and some of the best brains in Britain work there.

So how did he shot himself in the foot?

Culham is part of the Euratom Project, Culham is 88% funded by the EU. The French pay the largest portion of the funding and provide a large proportion of the scientific personnel.

Back
Top Bottom