National News After Boris

Publicly funded (£200m) Vaccine Manufacturing and Innovation centre ....intended to prepare the country for future pandamics ....has been flogged off to US company Catalent Biotheraputics by the government! ...despite unanimous opposition from OCC

I cant get the link from the OM report to cut n paste

edit* link to BBC report ...

Last edited:
Or, we could have PR, and a coalition of like-minded parties who have to work together and compromise to find a solution which represents the will of the majority of the population, rather than the insane FPTP undemocratic nonsense which we currently put up with

I can understand the Tories wanting to keep FPTP, but Labour need to stop being so cowardly and support it.

They cling onto the view that they are the opposition and can break the Conservative stranglehold on power. Stand back and you realise that since the end of WW2, they've been in power for only 27 of the 73 years since then - just over a third of the time.

They're willing to risk years of Tory s**t for their own brief chances at the top job. Play the game better and they could have power, albeit more compromised, for longer.

I can understand the Tories wanting to keep FPTP, but Labour need to stop being so cowardly and support it.

They cling onto the view that they are the opposition and can break the Conservative stranglehold on power. Stand back and you realise that since the end of WW2, they've been in power for only 27 of the 73 years since then - just over a third of the time.

They're willing to risk years of Tory s**t for their own brief chances at the top job. Play the game better and they could have power, albeit more compromised, for longer.
Yes I think this is right. PR would also allow the Lib Dems and Greens to gain representation in keeping with their support. Historically a lot of people have been against PR because it could give fascists a voice, but it's a risk that has to be faced.

Yes I think this is right. PR would also allow the Lib Dems and Greens to gain representation in keeping with their support. Historically a lot of people have been against PR because it could give fascists a voice, but it's a risk that has to be faced.
Some call it compromise, some call it consensus.

Personally, I would rather have politics of consensus than perpetually handing it to a tubthumping minority as we have done ever since we got to "decide" who rules over us.....

Looks like Sunak is burning some bridges with his 'know your place and pay your NI' approach.

BBC News - Rishi Sunak's wife Akshata Murty defends non-dom tax status

The non-dom status of his wife will kill any hopes he has of leadership. Especially the botched attempts to cover it by saying it was "because she was a citizen of India, which does not allow Indians to hold the citizenship of another country simultaneously". Non-dom status has nothing directly to do with citizenship. She would have had to specifically apply for non-dom status, and would only do so to avoid tax.

The non-dom status of his wife will kill any hopes he has of leadership. Especially the botched attempts to cover it by saying it was "because she was a citizen of India, which does not allow Indians to hold the citizenship of another country simultaneously". Non-dom status has nothing directly to do with citizenship. She would have had to specifically apply for non-dom status, and would only do so to avoid tax.
doesnt 'non-dom status' cease after someone has lived in the UK for 8 years? ( vaguely heard something along those lines mentioned on TV earlier- though I wasn't paying much attention) .... though there's probably exceptions for partners of MPs

doesnt 'non-dom status' cease after someone has lived in the UK for 8 years? ( vaguely heard something along those lines mentioned on TV earlier- though I wasn't paying much attention) .... though there's probably exceptions for partners of MPs
15 i think

edit - is 15 out of last 20 years.

Last edited:
If the system is adequately protected then there's no possibility for fascism to exist. Fascism relies on dictatorship.

I also would support PR as it would have made Brexit a much deeper, cleaner and swifter process.

If the system is adequately protected then there's no possibility for fascism to exist. Fascism relies on dictatorship.

I also would support PR as it would have made Brexit a much deeper, cleaner and swifter process.
By fascist I mean far-right racists, you'd probably get one or two Britian First types in Parliament.

Would it have made Brexit quicker, or even allowed it? Lib Dems would have had a lot more MPs, Labour might have had the courage to take an actual position.

Would it have made Brexit quicker, or even allowed it? Lib Dems would have had a lot more MPs, Labour might have had the courage to take an actual position.
There may not have even been a referendum to be fair, wasn't it forced through by the Tories because they were worried about UKIP splitting their vote?

By fascist I mean far-right racists, you'd probably get one or two Britian First types in Parliament.

Oh right. Yeah you'd probably get far right and far left, but surely the point of parliament is to represent the will of the people so extreme voices should be heard (if representative).

PR would break the stranglehold and better reflect public opinion. It can only be a good thing. Making it a key campaign point is probably the only way Labour would get my vote.

There may not have even been a referendum to be fair, wasn't it forced through by the Tories because they were worried about UKIP splitting their vote?
Just what I was going to say - there wouldn't have been a referendum because the PM wouldn't have been so scared of UKIP and the back benchers. Cameron was only thinking of his own job and was so overconfident about the result he hardly bothered to campaign properly.

I’d rather have one or two Britain-first type MPs and a government made up of a coalition which truly reflects the majority of the country (left-leaning, presently) than a Tory government who force their right wing policies on a country where only a minority voted for them.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, you could end up with a more middle of the road and stable government, although there would be more DUP-style deals and coalitions in order to form a working majority.

The aussie PR system results in a small handful of fruitcake extremists in parliament. It adds colour, diversity of opinion and some national embarrassment at times. The downside is that the nature of parliamentary votes is still binary, and so the small number of wingnuts can hold the balance of power (like the DUP in Westminster at times). If the parliament is well-balanced in terms of representation you are almost guaranteed to have this situation.

Pretty good article here

Back
Top Bottom