Away Match Day Thread 30/09/2023 L1: Stevenage v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy is like a bloke who shags your sister and burns your house down. You're gutted this has happened, you're angry with the bloke for doing this to you, and he gets sentenced to community service.

The council find temporary accommodation for you. Turns out, the bloke who burnt your house down and shagged your sister painted the walls inside, as part of his service! And what a paint job he did! You've instantly forgiven him for burning your house down. He didn't mean to, he's a great guy, and who could be mad after one great paint job?

What an absurd over the top analogy. You clearly know better than Manning!

Murphy is like a bloke who shags your sister and burns your house down. You're gutted this has happened, you're angry with the bloke for doing this to you, and he gets sentenced to community service.

The council find temporary accommodation for you. Turns out, the bloke who burnt your house down and shagged your sister painted the walls inside, as part of his service! And what a paint job he did! You've instantly forgiven him for burning your house down. He didn't mean to, he's a great guy, and who could be mad after one great paint job?
Good grief, what an anology

Good grief, what an anology
A reference that was purposefully a silly joke, with no harm intended.
There’s a lot of revisionism going on here and judging things with too much context.

If someone comes and paints your living room, does a good job, and then kisses your sister and burns down the house - by all means criticise them, call them a terrible painter and decorator, advise no-one else to hire them; but don’t suddenly start saying ‘The paint job on the living room was terrible as well!’

Getting Oxford to the playoff final is a good season. Getting in the playoffs again after that is a decent season. What happened after was an absolute shitshow and he’s a terrible person, but that shouldn’t change the facts that we did pretty well in those two seasons.
Edit: for what it's worth, it's good that Murphy played well and seemingly wants to play. Long may it continue. I'm not one of those twats who has ever booed him, and as long as he does nothing to warrant it (like sticking his finger up at us) I never will.

Last edited:
I think it was a reference to a genuine defence of Robinson, ie someone could burn you house down but you shouldn't forget what a good job he did painting the living room. That was the real attitude of plenty of our fans last season, what a difference this year. Expectations and standards are being dragged up rapidly by Manning and team.

Exactly the sort of analogy we need more of on this forum.

Start of the game had us worried, Stevenage look a physical side but, despite conceeding the boys turned it around and took charge pretty much. The odd anxious monent but the defence looks so much better now, everyone doing their bit.
Leaving the ground we heard a few comments and a couple that were directed at us directly to indicate how good a side they thought we had been.
Such a good feeling to be a Yellow right now. So much to enjoy and look forward to. Two home games next, must be on for a big crowd Tuesday evening and another 10k plus on Saturday.

Last edited:
I think it was a reference to a genuine defence of Robinson, ie someone could burn you house down but you shouldn't forget what a good job he did painting the living room. That was the real attitude of plenty of our fans last season, what a difference this year. Expectations and standards are being dragged up rapidly by Manning and team.
Funny how I thought I spelled it out so obviously in a ridiculous (for humour) analogy and some people still don’t get it.

It wasn’t a ‘genuine defence’ of Robinson at all. It was a criticism of the sort of revisionist thinking which makes people, after the house has been burned down, go back and say ‘Oh, and the paint job he did was rubbish by the way!’ when, at the time it was done, they were putting pictures of it on Facebook and giving it 5 stars.

The paint job was the paint job. The playoff final season was the playoff final season. What happened after doesn’t change whether it was good or bad or not. That was all. Categorically not a defence of Robinson.

Funny how I thought I spelled it out so obviously in a ridiculous (for humour) analogy and some people still don’t get it.

It wasn’t a ‘genuine defence’ of Robinson at all. It was a criticism of the sort of revisionist thinking which makes people, after the house has been burned down, go back and say ‘Oh, and the paint job he did was rubbish by the way!’ when, at the time it was done, they were putting pictures of it on Facebook and giving it 5 stars.

The paint job was the paint job. The playoff final season was the playoff final season. What happened after doesn’t change whether it was good or bad or not. That was all. Categorically not a defence of Robinson.
Fair enough, I misremembered. My bad. Thought it was someone pro KR who genuinely thought he'd done ok for us.

That's a bloody fantastic win. Didn't expect anything today. Away to Steve Evan's Stevenage just reeked of a frustrating 1-0. Mightily impressed by Manning and this team. Let's keep it going; this could be a special season.

Apparently Pompey got some very favourable decisions at Wigan today. We've nothing to fear from anyone this season.

I think the most impressive thing is how quietly we are going about our business. No histrionics, no boom or bust football, just going into games with a positive mindset that we can win any game. I think we have several gears that we can switch up as well if needs be.

We may be going places this year, let's see.

Player Ratings: (Watched the game but missed the first ten minutes)

Beadle: 8 - Made one absolutely superb save low down in the second half, after seeing it late. Claimed several high balls well. The lad is a class act.

Leigh: 9 - Can’t ask much more from your left wing back than to score two goals, and generally look like a quality player. I can see how Ipswich got promoted with players like him and Edwards in the side. He’s quick, strong, athletic, good in the air and can finish.

Brown: 6 - He was given a tough time today, probably struggled the most in defence. Caught very high up the pitch for their goal. Still was big and strong often.

Moore: 7.5 - Won so many headers and did well for his goal. Aggressive. His complete lack of pace was glaringly exposed for their goal though.

Long: 6.5 - The usual Sam Long performance full of heart and effort. Caught out for their goal but also put plenty of good blocks in. Was very lucky to completely lose his man at 2-1 but see him put his free header wide.

Stevens: 7 - I thought he was decent without ever excelling. Put the cross in for the goal. The sort of fit, useful utility player who gets your promoted.

Brannagan: 7 - Worked hard, battled, scrapped. Great player to have in the trenches in a game like this.

McGuane: 7.5 - Good as ever and worked hard. Been in the top 3 players in the side in every game I’ve seen so far this season.

Goodrham: 7 - Immense workrate. Snapped around the pitch like a terrier chasing the ball. He can scrap as well as do the pretty stuff.

Rodrigues: 7 - Didn’t quite come off for him today but he worked hard and didn’t let his head drop, and was neat and tidy and useful with the ball.

Bodin: 7 - Led the line well and hit the post with his header to set up the first goal but really should have scored or at the very least done better when clean through.

Another terrific performance. Rode our luck just a little (particularly that header they missed on ~75 minutes that really should have made it 2-2) but you have to to win at places like Stevenage when they're managed by a master of the dark arts.

No weak links at all, but while Leigh will rightly get the plaudits for his two goals - I actually thought Stevens had by far his best game for us down the other side. Some wicked crosses (especially for the first goal), and I don't remember Stevenage creating anything down his flank all game (credit to Sam Long too for that). Every dangerous move from them came down the right.

We now have three home games on the trot against sides that are currently midtable. Gotta be thinking now about building a cushion whilst we're rolling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom