Home Match Day Thread +++ 27/11/2018 OUFC vs Rochdale Match Day Thread +++

An enjoyable game, I thought. I am happy for Eastwood that him making two horrible mistakes ended up not mattering, he has a lot of credit in the bank. I don't think anyone ever doubted Browne's quality, just his fitness - let's hope the staff can keep him fit, as he was the match winner last night. Hanson looks better at right back than in the middle of the pitch and I thought after a bit of a difficult start, Dickie was very good as well. Nelson seemed to want to be a forward player at times last night! Rochdale's passing was easy on the eye at times, but they went completely to pieces after our fourth, we should have added a goal or two (or is that greedy?!).

We are certainly getting stronger, although our defence really didn't look like one that had kept a run of clean sheets 'from open play' at times. A good performance against a team that gave us the space to play the way we wanted.

Last edited:
Overall a much better performance with goals/edge to the game. Just typical it was a poor attendance and horrendous atmosphere.
You really wouldn’t think we’d just recorded our fourth consecutive home league win for the first time in god knows how many years, being at the stadium last night. It’s so unbelievably flat - even when we went two up after quarter of an hour there was nothing within 60 seconds of the restart. The performance was decent with a hatful of goals but it just didn’t spark at all off the pitch.

There’s definitely a disconnect that the club need to sort out ASAP. Sure, it’s always harder to get people going when you’re at the wrong end of the table, but it’s ridiculously flat now. I really don’t think the general silence and lack of a present frontman day to day does anything to help, and I really wish Robinson hadn’t gone off on his stupid rant about how much the players hate the stadium. That was without doubt one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen from a manager and won’t have helped anything what so ever with regards to atmosphere.

On the pitch, though, we continue to look like we might just be able to stay up this season. Finally not just out of the drop zone in recent weeks but opening up a small buffer. Points haul over the last ten games must be playoff form after the outrageous opening ten?

An enjoyable game, I thought. I am happy for Eastwood that him making two horrible mistakes ended up not mattering, he has a lot of credit in the bank. I don't think anyone ever doubted Browne's quality, just his fitness - let's hope the staff can keep him fit, as he was the match winner last night. Hanson looks better at right back than in the middle of the pitch and I thought after a bit of a difficult start, Dickie was very good as well. Nelson seemed to want to be a forward player at times last night! Rochdale's passing was easy on the eye at times, but they went completely to pieces after our fourth, we should have added a goal or two (or is that greedy?!).

We are certainly getting stronger, although our defence really didn't look like one that had kept a run of clean sheets 'from open play' at times. A god performance against a team that gave us the space to play the way we wanted.

Bang on post. We could have had 5 or 6 in the first half and it has been a long time since we can say that. Excellent all around. Browne really makes even Whyte look slow - absolutely exceptional how he beats players with ease and then seems to pull 5 yards clear and no one can get near him. Should be a 20-30 goal "Roofe" at this level. Whyte was outstanding, especially in terms of work ethic, and the forwards made it easy for the defence with constant back-tracking/tackling, even when the game was dead (89 mins :)) Mous is better there than in defence and was solid, Henry had probably his best game and is really starting to flourish (also seems to have found some pace). Hanson I would pick over McMahon and looked really solid, and worked well with Whyte down the right. Easty was probably the "worst" player rating last night but all is forgiven - he is worth 10 points a season and we won. All the backs played well and no one had a bad game. Our play was at times sublime. Fast on the break /lethal on the counter. Scoring a lot of goals, even without a striker. If we set up to attack and take the game to the opposition, we can beat anyone in this league and definitely should be thinking play-offs now rather than relegation. Nice also to see a more coherent KR in interviews. He has definitely been reigned in.

Bang on post. We could have had 5 or 6 in the first half and it has been a long time since we can say that. Excellent all around. Browne really makes even Whyte look slow - absolutely exceptional how he beats players with ease and then seems to pull 5 yards clear and no one can get near him. Should be a 20-30 goal "Roofe" at this level. Whyte was outstanding, especially in terms of work ethic, and the forwards made it easy for the defence with constant back-tracking/tackling, even when the game was dead (89 mins :)) Mous is better there than in defence and was solid, Henry had probably his best game and is really starting to flourish (also seems to have found some pace). Hanson I would pick over McMahon and looked really solid, and worked well with Whyte down the right. Easty was probably the "worst" player rating last night but all is forgiven - he is worth 10 points a season and we won. All the backs played well and no one had a bad game. Our play was at times sublime. Fast on the break /lethal on the counter. Scoring a lot of goals, even without a striker. If we set up to attack and take the game to the opposition, we can beat anyone in this league and definitely should be thinking play-offs now rather than relegation. Nice also to see a more coherent KR in interviews. He has definitely been reigned in.

We are starting to get some decent links between our LB/RB and our wingers.

Finally, we created genuine goal scoring chances from in the 6 yard box. Some composure to work it in to dangerous areas that we have been lacking for weeks, and as such might be a blessing with Holmes out. A majority of the time when he picks up the ball his first thought is to shoot, irrespective of how far out he is. Yesterday saw considered play in to the box.

I didnt hear all of KR's interview, however caught the bit about Hanson. Not sure why he always mentions the fee? Did I hear him correctly when he said 'most expensive RB in the league'? And that moving Hanson to RB solved 'a problem'? I only caught it briefly so could be wrong.

Finally, we created genuine goal scoring chances from in the 6 yard box. Some composure to work it in to dangerous areas that we have been lacking for weeks, and as such might be a blessing with Holmes out. A majority of the time when he picks up the ball his first thought is to shoot, irrespective of how far out he is. Yesterday saw considered play in to the box.

I didnt hear all of KR's interview, however caught the bit about Hanson. Not sure why he always mentions the fee? Did I hear him correctly when he said 'most expensive RB in the league'? And that moving Hanson to RB solved 'a problem'? I only caught it briefly so could be wrong.

That's how I heard it.

To be fair to Robinson (not my forte!) I think he was admitting that he’d played Hanson in the wrong position.
On another point: had Nelson been given licence to roam? He was everywhere when we attacked!!

To be fair to Robinson (not my forte!) I think he was admitting that he’d played Hanson in the wrong position.
On another point: had Nelson been given licence to roam? He was everywhere when we attacked!!

The weird thing being, that he came to the club as a defensive midfielder. I think we all expected similar to Ledson with better passing. In which case, it seems a strange thing to the decide RB is where he will excel....that being said, he was very good last night both attacking and in defence.

Re: Nelson, he has always had a roam! When at his best he carries the ball out from defence. He knows, with Mousinho in front of the back 4 that he can push up the pitch with Mousinho clever enough to fill in. Mousinho did the same at RB and LB last night when Hanson/Ruffels over committed.

Robbo's PR always seems loaded with ulterior motive. Whilst I question the Hanson comments, I thought it was good message for Browne. At his age, he should be aiming for the top, and on that basis, criticism, despite two goals and a MOM, keeps him focussed on more.

That's how I heard it.
Pretty sure KR was alluding to the difficult settling in Hanson had had so the problem was where to get the best out of him atm..and I'd say also that a lot of his on repeat answers often have more to do with on repeat questions as in the players playbook of responses..suppose we could do with "as I've said many times before" in there somewhere:)

Brannagan is superb at the moment. Different type of midfielder of course but he’s a better player than Ledson.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him move in the Summer for a big fee - at least a couple of million with add-ons I’d hope. Wouldn’t begrudge it either despite wanting to keep him.

Brilliant engine, vision and touch - hopefully Baptiste is keeping a close eye and learning from him as he sets the standards of what he could achieve too.

Last edited:
Brannigan is superb at the moment. Different type of midfielder of course but he’s a better player than Ledson.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him move in the Summer for a big fee - at least a couple of million with add-ons I’d hope. Wouldn’t begrudge it either despite wanting to keep him.

Brilliant engine, vision and touch - hopefully Baptiste is keeping a close eye and learning from him as he sets the standards of what he could achieve too.

Brannagan is central to us currently. I think it goes a little un-noticed, however with both Brannagan and Baptiste we have 2 of the best young passers in the league

• React
Reactions: MJB

I was going to make the same point about Nelson. Kept cropping up in their box during open play!

Brannagan is central to us currently. I think it goes a little un-noticed, however with both Brannagan and Baptiste we have 2 of the best young passers in the league
And last night, I thought he had a quieter game than normal, but was still excellent. Since Mous has been in midfield, Brannagan looks a more relaxed player. A great bit of business last year.

Don’t forget we have the hugely talented Lopes as well. I’d like him to be given some game time soon although have heard he’s been watched / sold on already.

Don’t forget we have the hugely talented Lopes as well. I’d like him to be given some game time soon although have heard he’s been watched / sold on already.
If he has been sold on already I would imagine that he will be behind Spasov in the pecking order who we will want to develop further.

Back
Top Bottom