Home Match Day Thread +++ 29/12/2018 OUFC v Bristol Rovers FC +++

Bannister and Warboys.
A poor mans Aldridge and Hamilton!!
Bannister & Warboys were early 70s but never got 5 in 1 game at the Manor, we did let in 5 once in about 2000 ish, more likely Cureton scoring..... Richard Knight in goal for us, possibly his debut.

Ba
Forever the

Remember you had two lads called "Smash and Grab" back in the seventies/ eighties. They scored a shedfull. Got 5 in one game at the Manor if memory serves me correctly. Would be priceless today.
Staying at the mem unfortunately. As much as I hate to admit it, we are miles behind the other side of the city as regards infrastructure and finances, stadium etc. We make up for it in other ways though!
why are the Bristol clubs in general not better? It’s a big place. Too much rugby?

Ba

why are the Bristol clubs in general not better? It’s a big place. Too much rugby?

Not sure really. Neither club has shown enough ambition when given the chance. Even City last season, it looked as though they might finally break into the prem and they then suffered towards the end of the season and ended up selling all their best players (Reid, Bryan and Flint). Both clubs are very passionate and the potential of the city to have a big club is definitely there. Just never happened! Yet anyway!

Not sure really. Neither club has shown enough ambition when given the chance. Even City last season, it looked as though they might finally break into the prem and they then suffered towards the end of the season and ended up selling all their best players (Reid, Bryan and Flint). Both clubs are very passionate and the potential of the city to have a big club is definitely there. Just never happened! Yet anyway!
I remember Bristol City were a Division 1 club when I first started collecting figurine panini stickers as a kid. There must’ve been at least ten Clive bloody Whitehead stickers for every other player. Every sodding packet I got had one.

If you're going to blame officials, I think you are only kidding yourself. Yes the officials were poor yesterday as they are most weeks but I didn't feel they affected the result in anyway and there was definitely no bias.
Certainly not. We did badly enough regardless of the officials good or bad performance, but the point is week on week it's a journey in what is a foul and what is not, etc. The handover from the Ref to the 4th official was handled appallingly and it rather summed up the overall performance for me. That should not take nearly 5 minutes to do should it?

Certainly not. We did badly enough regardless of the officials good or bad performance, but the point is week on week it's a journey in what is a foul and what is not, etc. The handover from the Ref to the 4th official was handled appallingly and it rather summed up the overall performance for me. That should not take nearly 5 minutes to do should it?
No but sadly I am now used to useless officiating at this level. I am more surprised when we get a good official.

Haven’t been on here for a while. But finally forced to vent my frustration. Sorry I haven’t read back through all the previous comments so if I cover ground or issues previously mentioned by others my apologies.

So where to start. How about kick off.

It set the tone for the rest of the afternoon. Thump the ball long to the left wing position. And here’s my first observation. Browne is a quick and talented winger who has for several weeks been a very effective, tricky and direct winger and yet we seem to want to use him as a big “nod it on” centre forward. Pointless. Who is going after anything he does get on to. So poor style of play that is ineffective and is clearly pissing him off. Get it into space and on the ground.

As for our supposed big “nod it on” centre forward. I thought on Shrek had a Donkey but we appear to have one too! Mackie really offers very little other than a focal point for arguments and pissing off officials and the opposition. Next to no real attacking threat. Get rid.

Long - big heart but lacks ball skill, composure and gets caught out too easily. Where is Cameron Norman.

Moushino - big heart and does give us some control but slow slow slow.

Eastwood, Whyte, Brannagan, Ruffles, Henry and Nelson provide the core of a decent team but too many weak links. And need more consistency.

And as for the prize donkey. Someone please take Donkey Dickie out. A liability. I know it’s mixing my animal references but there is a bit of Bambi on ice about him. Got to go. Raglan more than deserves a run. He can’t be any worse and has never let us down.

So finally to the shape. Given Mackie’s lack of pace and skill our wide players need to be making diagonal runs across the pitch in behind Mackie. That way the ball coming out from defence can be played through the midfield and onto someone cutting in from a flank. At the moment they hog the flank and only come in once in possession. At which point they get tackled. They need to run in/across without the ball to give us options going forward. Several times yesterday there was no forward option and we fanny around at the back and loose it or just hoof it up.

So what? Raglan in. Norman in ( or sign a new right back), new centre forward. Change the way we operate across the front three. Trust Henry to link things up.

And can KR stop blaming the referees, injuries, bad luck, South American witch doctors or time of the month!

Own the problem and do something about it.

Thank you. Sorry if all this has already been said. But I feel better now!

Happy New Year.......

Haven’t been on here for a while. But finally forced to vent my frustration. Sorry I haven’t read back through all the previous comments so if I cover ground or issues previously mentioned by others my apologies.

It set the tone for the rest of the afternoon. Thump the ball long to the left wing position. And here’s my first observation. Browne is a quick and talented winger who has for several weeks been a very effective, tricky and direct winger and yet we seem to want to use him as a big “nod it on” centre forward. Pointless. Who is going after anything he does get on to. So poor style of play that is ineffective and is clearly pissing him off. Get it into space and on the ground.

As for our supposed big “nod it on” centre forward. I thought on Shrek had a Donkey but we appear to have one too! Mackie really offers very little other than a focal point for arguments and pissing off officials and the opposition. Next to no real attacking threat. Get rid.

Long - big heart but lacks ball skill, composure and gets caught out too easily. Where is Cameron Norman.

Eastwood, Whyte, Brannagan, Ruffles, Henry and Nelson provide the core of a decent team but too many weak links. And need more consistency.

And as for the prize donkey. Someone please take Donkey Dickie out. A liability. I know it’s mixing my animal references but there is a bit of Bambi on ice about him. Got to go. Raglan more than deserves a run. He can’t be any worse and has never let us down.

Thanks for the analysis, how many games have you witnessed this season home and away?

So finally to the shape. Given Mackie’s lack of pace and skill our wide players need to be making diagonal runs across the pitch in behind Mackie. That way the ball coming out from defence can be played through the midfield and onto someone cutting in from a flank. At the moment they hog the flank and only come in once in possession. At which point they get tackled. They need to run in/across without the ball to give us options going forward. Several times yesterday there was no forward option and we fanny around at the back and loose it or just hoof it up.

So what? Raglan in. Norman in ( or sign a new right back), new centre forward. Change the way we operate across the front three. Trust Henry to link things up.

And can KR stop blaming the referees, injuries, bad luck, South American witch doctors or time of the month!

Happy New Year.......

Happy New Year.......

Thanks for the analysis, how many games have you been to home and away this season?

Not sure why the sudden down on Dickie. Yes he had a bad game, but there have been many games when he has been better than Nelson. His main problem is that he is a predominantly right footed player being asked to play left side centre back. When he was moved to the right side and Nelson moved left -guess what, Nelson was crap! We need a left footed centre back (Raglan is the best we have in that position)
Blaming the defense is easy but the real problem is the lack of anything even vaguely approaching a goal scoring forward.

Not sure why the sudden down on Dickie. Yes he had a bad game, but there have been many games when he has been better than Nelson. His main problem is that he is a predominantly right footed player being asked to play left side centre back. When he was moved to the right side and Nelson moved left -guess what, Nelson was crap! We need a left footed centre back (Raglan is the best we have in that position)
Blaming the defense is easy but the real problem is the lack of anything even vaguely approaching a goal scoring forward.
I agree the two right footed centre backs is an issue but think the only difference is that Nelson has the speed and determination to get himself out of trouble when he buggers things up. He gave the ball away about 40 yds out against Charlton and worked incredibly hard to get back and make a superb tackle in the box. Dickie doesn’t do that - not the work hard, superb tackle bit anyway. Dickie has had some good games but looks likely to give the ball away, commit a foul or misplace a pass and I am bored of watching it with no significant improvement.

For all the Raglan is the new messiah brigade, don’t get your hopes up! If we need to replace Dickie, we need better than not the same as or possibly worse imo! Chesterfield didn’t get rid of him because he was decent did they.

And as for Norman, I liked him when he was playing but we did concede a hell of a lot so I’m guessing Robinson sees him as the week link in the defence. He’s more of a wing back imo but could even fill an attacking wide position when we change formation etc etc

I don't know anything about this Dickie other than he was caught a bit stickie on Saturday. However, our manager and Jakubiak who scored both goals have admitted that we targetted him.

we may have lost but atleast i'm fortunate to not live in Bristol. Poor you.

I hate to tell you this, but Bristol is a pretty cool place. Gloucester Road is basically what the Cowley Road thinks it is. And the music scene is even better than ours.

Back
Top Bottom