Home Match Day Thread +++ 15/12/2018 OUFC v Blackpool Matchday Thread +++

If the Stockley rumour was to be right added to Graham and a left back we would have a very decent squad.
Ruffels is making a very good job of left back at the moment. If Garbutt goes back then I agree we probably need another person for that role, but they would certainly have to show a hell of a lot in training/reserve games to get into the team.

Ruffels is making a very good job of left back at the moment. If Garbutt goes back then I agree we probably need another person for that role, but they would certainly have to show a hell of a lot in training/reserve games to get into the team.
Agree.
Ruffels has been very good

Just one question, yesterday when Gavin Whyte was subbed I thought why ( that’s because of his pace ) then I heard to be replaced by Ricky Holmes ah I forgot about Holmes so no worries, but Did he actually have a touch, that’s not a dig

Just one question, yesterday when Gavin Whyte was subbed I thought why ( that’s because of his pace ) then I heard to be replaced by Ricky Holmes ah I forgot about Holmes so no worries, but Did he actually have a touch, that’s not a dig

Think he got one touch but not 100% - Radox actually made a point of mentioning it also

Holmes didn't do much when he came on. Much the same story at Peterborough (when he had a bit longer).

Holmes didn't do much when he came on. Much the same story at Peterborough (when he had a bit longer).
He’s probably still not 100% but if he wanted to replace Whyte, Holmes was the only option although he could have brought Sam Long on to help shore up the defence I suppose.

Yes, I suspect it's just to keep Holmes involved and to help him get a little bit of match sharpness to aid in his (temporary?) recovery from his back condition. I'm not sure why Whyte would have needed to play only 85 minutes yesterday.

To be fair to Holmes those conditions/pitch didn’t suit him at all. Even if he’s had longer on the pitch I can’t see that he would have been able to play in his usual way.

To be fair to Holmes those conditions/pitch didn’t suit him at all. Even if he’s had longer on the pitch I can’t see that he would have been able to play in his usual way.

Also, that he came on when we were looking to kill the game anyway considering we had already been killing the clock. Certainly his positioning was definitely more with defending in mind so I guess he was following KR's instructions.

Last edited:
(Yes ^^^, I was by no means criticising (Holmes). The weather was horrendous, the game was scrappy, as long as he did his bit and we won, I couldn’t have cared less if he touched it or not.

So I’ll preface my thoughts by stating that was the first time I’ve seen us since the Plymouth home game in mid-October. The wife gave birth to our second child at the end of October meaning I’ve not seen us since. In a piece of outrageously poor parenting I took the older kid to her first game of the season yesterday (driving rain, freezing cold, icy wind - kids love that right? Apologies to anyone around us in the far right of the East Stand who got fed up of the endless episodes of Mickey Mouse she was watching on her tablet, and the tantrum each time said episodes ended!)

Bearing in mind when I last saw us our recovery had barely started, I thought we were outstanding in horrific conditions. The second half was I imagine, to the neutral (and frozen toddlers) in attendance, horrendous. But I thought the way we shut the game out was a thing of beauty. We nabbed the goals in the first half, then made it a cold, wet, ugly slog keeping them at arms length. Exactly the kind of professional, calm, point-winning showing we’ve missed since the Appleton days.

Loved the Mous/Cam/Henry trilogy in midfield, I thought Ruffels was excellent at LB. Whyte and Browne can both be irritatingly naive, but they’re both so threatening to defenders at this level. If Whyte had some composure, or Browne passed a bit more rather than had his head down the whole time, we could’ve had a couple more.

Having missed much of our resurgence, I thought it was a calm and commanding performance. Still think any talk of the play-offs after our start is far too optimistic. But if (Tiger/Singha/Thohir/Thai Airlines maybe we have the cash, maybe we don’t funding dependent) we can get a couple of decent additions in January (and tellingly, permanent additions so we can build for better things next season) we have the foundations laid for a decent top half finish.

Spot on. I thought we bossed the game.

Well, he did only come on in the 85th minute, and no one was really looking to pass to him.
It wasn't really a criticism as such, just an observation. I think he is coming on for short periods as a way of giving him little bits of match time - he is obviously not fit. I'm not sure that five minutes left in conditions like those on Saturday was the ideal time to put him on really! Peterborough was a bit more noticeable - the conditions were better and he had a quarter of an hour or so - but again, not a huge criticism, just what I saw.

Extended highlights aren't up on iFollow yet. They're normally up by around Sunday lunchtime.

Spot on. I thought we bossed the game.
I don’t think we bossed the game certainly not on the flanks, thought the midfield did ok. It was
More of an even game rather than us bossing it, obviously the horrendous weather didn’t help.

I don’t think we bossed the game certainly not on the flanks, thought the midfield did ok. It was
More of an even game rather than us bossing it, obviously the horrendous weather didn’t help.

I’m going to have to say … “I disagree with you Bazzer” [emoji50]

My feet are still cold............................ jeeez that weather was horrible, wind was so cold it gave me an ice cream headache. :LOL:
First game this season and I must say we played some pretty decent stuff, as did `Pool.
Do we need a "20 goal striker" ? Not sure anymore......... maybe the game has changed a lot and all players are expected to share the goal-scoring duties?
Nice to catch up with the old faces...even @Eaststandboy was allowed some "time off for good behaviour." :):)

Back again Boxing Day... dragging the nephew along and having to travel further to get there! (y)

Back
Top Bottom