Away Match Day Thread +++ 18/08/2018 Portsmouth v OUFC match day thread +++

The players post match pow wow for 40 minutes on the pitch is interesting. Was Robinson involved?

Nope. He also held an impromptu press conference, which was also a little strange claiming that although they had practiced, watched video tape of what set pieces should be, the players did the opposite during the game, apart from one free kick.

OK just caught up with our forum. 1St thing I ain't doing another match day thread. Right I have just spent a night with cock a hoop pompey fans thinking we are s**t. Well we were today until the 3 subs came on. Why the he'll didn't we start with the team that finished. We made pompey look good. Ref was s**t granted. Mackie must never be a loud near a yellow shirt again. Why didn't Henry start? Kr must look at himself in a mirror and say to himself those magnificent fans that follow us around the country deserve better. Then he must deliver that. This isn't me being negative because I want to be the bloody driver of the positive bus. The next 2 home games are now massive. 4 points is the minimum or we are going to be in trouble. On the plus side I got pissed and it didn't cost me a penny. Lol

Exactly. Good for players to take responsibility but when they didn't manage to communicate for 80% of the match I don't know how productive this is.
.. and is there a breakdown between management and players?

Wanted to wait and sleep on it before posting.

The first half was frightening - despite it being goalless at the break, the U’s were being pulled apart for fun
by a rampant Portsmouth. Wave upon wave of attack with barely any resistance saw the defence creaking
and in midfield the U’s could not stem the flow. Challenges were not being won, headers were lost all over the park
we couldn’t get on the ball apart from one run from Browne.Both fullbacks were forced deep.
The system was not working. We just don’t have the right players to play 4-2-3-1.

To get in at nil nil was a relief but Portsmouth scored from their first attack of the second half and proceeded
to rip Oxford to pieces. It was the worst hour of football on an away ground I have seen since Cambridge in 2014
when several players’ careers came to and end under Appleton.

Portsmouth did not have to work particularly hard - they picked us off at will but the defending was terrible.
Dickie and Nelson had shocking games along with the hapless Garbutt. Not sure where Baptiste was playing.
Hanson looked a boy lost and Mackie was anonymous again. Smith had zero service.

Henry and Obika made a difference after their introduction but the game was up. It was embarrassing.
A proper thrashing.

I don’t like seeing images of the players sat in the centre circle 45 minutes after the game ended having a cozy chat.

I want to see paint coming off the changing room walls.

Wanted to wait and sleep on it before posting.

The first half was frightening - despite it being goalless at the break, the U’s were being pulled apart for fun
by a rampant Portsmouth. Wave upon wave of attack with barely any resistance saw the defence creaking
and in midfield the U’s could not stem the flow. Challenges were not being won, headers were lost all over the park
we couldn’t get on the ball apart from one run from Browne.Both fullbacks were forced deep.
The system was not working. We just don’t have the right players to play 4-2-3-1.

To get in at nil nil was a relief but Portsmouth scored from their first attack of the second half and proceeded
to rip Oxford to pieces. It was the worst hour of football on an away ground I have seen since Cambridge in 2014
when several players’ careers came to and end under Appleton.

Portsmouth did not have to work particularly hard - they picked us off at will but the defending was terrible.
Dickie and Nelson had shocking games along with the hapless Garbutt. Not sure where Baptiste was playing.
Hanson looked a boy lost and Mackie was anonymous again. Smith had zero service.

Henry and Obika made a difference after their introduction but the game was up. It was embarrassing.
A proper thrashing.

I don’t like seeing images of the players sat in the centre circle 45 minutes after the game ended having a cozy chat.

I want to see paint coming off the changing room walls.
For people that were there yesterday and last Tuesday, what is it with Mackie? Is it a case of him not being up to speed with his fitness yet or is he a lost cause? I was at the Fleetwood game and couldn’t quite believe what I was watching. His performance was beyond inept. He didn’t even look like a professional footballer, more like some geezer from the local pub who’d won a competition to turn out for his local football team. I’m sorry to sound so harsh, I respect that he’s had a good career in the game but what I witnessed in that game was alarming to say the least. I really hope that it is a case of him just needing to get up to speed with his match fitness or else we’ve got another expensive mistake on our hands.

For people that were there yesterday and last Tuesday, what is it with Mackie? Is it a case of him not being up to speed with his fitness yet or is he a lost cause? I was at the Fleetwood game and couldn’t quite believe what I was watching. His performance was beyond inept. He didn’t even look like a professional footballer, more like some geezer from the local pub who’d won a competition to turn out for his local football team. I’m sorry to sound so harsh, I respect that he’s had a good career in the game but what I witnessed in that game was alarming to say the least. I really hope that it is a case of him just needing to get up to speed with his match fitness or else we’ve got another expensive mistake on our hands.
Don’t think he is all that expensive if it makes you feel any better.

For me, he looked a yard or two off the pace. Two or three times he tried to close down their left back but it looked like he was running through treacle. Also, it's amazing that a player of his calibre didn't look for a forward pass. When he did get the ball, he would cut in and pass sideways. Not once did he look to shoot from the position he was in.

Mackie just is not fit & is carrying a long term injury - KR must have known that when his mate Sean got him from QPR! KR also knew that his other ex charges - Carruthers, Hall & Holmes were also carrying injuries! Hall's legs are like bone china & I don't reckon we will see much of him this season & then he will be gone. This is all very depressing & I don't think Tiger will give longer than the Burton match to see a massive improvement. "Gone for a Burton" - I can see the headlines now!

THAT is what makes me proud to be a U’s fan at the moment even if the shambles on the pitch doesn’t. Hats off to everyone who went, you all deserved better.
It was truly awful witnessing the parents and teenagers in the family area, giving it large. Nothing like receiving abuse from 35 year old Darren the Carpenter whose brought his children to the game and he stands there waving his arms around letting us know how bad we are. Worst thing is he's right.

Back
Top Bottom