Away Match Day Thread +++ 15/09/2018 Wycombe W v OUFC match day thread +++

They also drop points in games they should have one (having said that, we were fortunate to have the goal against us schalked off yesterday in my opinion. Look at Nelson’s reaction when it goes in, he’s certianly not appealing for a foul or off-side). For all of Robinson’s excuses about bad referees and bad luck, the table doesn’t lie. As you say, we need to start picking up points if we’re as talented as a lot of people are saying.

I didn’t really see what happened for the goal to be disallowed, whilst I thought it may have been fortunate I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to our players that it shouldn’t have been a goal.

But we may have got away with one, which is nice in some ways, but also papers over cracks once more. Not that Robinson will remember this one.

He is very good at remembering things that didn’t go our way but seems to forget very quickly when our keeper makes saves etc

Goal.
I didn’t really see what happened for the goal to be disallowed, whilst I thought’ it may have been fortunate I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to our players that it shouldn’t have been a goal.’

But we may have got away with one, which is nice in some ways, but also papers over cracks once more. Not that Robinson will remember this one.

He is very good at remembering things that didn’t go our way but seems to forget very quickly when our keeper makes saves etc

Robinson was asked in his post match interview about the offside ‘ goal ‘ and he said Akinfenwa was offside.

The video/photographic evidence backs this up - Akinfenwa was a yard off when Jacobson struck the free kick.

No cracks were papered over. None.

Luke Garbutt in the football league papers team of the day. Really? I thought he was the worst in defence.

I may have missed something but what has happened to McMahon - don't worry I wouldn't want him ahead of Norman but he has disappeared off the map entirely

Enjoyed being treated like cattle when the game had ended. There ground is somehow in a worse location then ours, in the middle of an industrial estate. There ground is also somehow worse then ours apart from the away end. The stand where the players come out looks like something you get in the isthmian division.

That stand was built when they were in non-league and the ground was new.

That stand was built when they were in non-league and the ground was new.
Indeed. Much as I don't like Ainsworth, or his team's whinging, or their fans' desire to build a false A40 rivalry, or the horrendous parking arrangements, I must admit I always admired WWFC as a stalwart non-league club of the Yeovil mould. Forward thinking in building a very decent non-league stadium and relatively well supported for non-league. Shame they've become so tinpot.

I didn’t really see what happened for the goal to be disallowed, whilst I thought it may have been fortunate I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to our players that it shouldn’t have been a goal.

Eh? Get away with one?
He was clearly offside.
We had a clear penalty in Smith turned down and their fans seem to think that they should have had a player sent off for the worse tackle of the game.
No paper over cracks there ..

Just back - those car parks are a bit slow aren't they :)

We were improved. Whyte and Baptiste were our standout players, and if Hanson is in the team at the weekend (I hope Brannagan is OK and that neck brace / oxygen etc was precautionary) then if will have to be as well as Baptiste, not instead of. The obvious problem is the inability to score when on top. If you add our tendency to start games brightly and then tail off as time goes on, it always seems to me that scoring early is especially important in our case, and going a goal down seems to be a huge blow to our players' mentality as they know how hard it is for us to score. I'm sorry, but for all that some people have said Obika was improved, I didn't see much of it. A couple of decent bits of closing down, one or two nice layoffs, and he even managed to get off the ground once for a header. But also a lot of not challenging seriously for the ball, hiding behind an opposition player, being in the wrong place and on his heels and showing absolutely no goal threat. I'm not 'scapegoating' (as someone will inevitably say) - I just can't see why he is being picked. Of course, with Mackie injured (well knock me down with a feather) there is really only a choice of two, but if Smith isn't going to get the nod, I might even try Browne up there. Our free kicks in dangerous areas were absolutely awful - straight to their keeper at 'pass back' pace.

I thought we'd lost when that 'goal' went in - obviously you couldn't see the offside from the other end of the ground. But actually you could see us conceding a late one after failing to score, it would have been typical.

I think both Faz and Robinson were yellow carded? Our bench has got to calm down in general, and Robinson especially has got to start being calmer and more measured - during, after and between matches. It looks panicky and unprofessional during a game, and I have yet to see it achieve anything. Rather than berating the fourth offical, concentrate on coaching/organising the team. He should know by now that the standard of refereeing is inconsistent (to be kind) - you can't rely on penalties being given or cards being brought out at the right time, so take the ref out of the equation as much as possible by scoring from open play, being clever about when you make challenges and not getting on the wrong side of him from the bench!

Thankfully, Sarge's predicted hooligan battle of the century aided and abetted by the evil TVP never happened. Both sets of supporters were perfectly fine. On the way back to the car, one of theirs asked me if 'we always played like that'. I asked him what he meant and he said 'create so many chances but fail to put any of them away. You should have been four up by half time.' I think we all knew that was going to be the problem...

As the controversial penalty incidents are edited out once again from the iPlayer extended highlights, I wonder if the referees or the FA have any input in what is shown? However, they leave in a blatant hand ball by a Wycombe deferender in the box that happened in the second half before the other two penalty claims. In my opinion we should have been awarded two penalties: the handball and the foul on Smith.

They should have won today
Excellent play by Henry and Holmes has class.
Need to go a good run, but three early home defeats doesn’t look good

I had a few beers with some Wycombe supporters after the game and they all said that we would have won by three or four goals if we had a decent striker. I did explain that everyone connected with the club (apart from the manager) was well aware of the need for a striker before the season started. As for KR he would do well to take a leaf out of Map's book, he used to say that when the players cross that white line it's down to them. If Robinson had the same attitude he would keep out of trouble and the players could get on with there job.

Back
Top Bottom