Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the job was offered to Mapp & McCann and others but they turned it down.
Or maybe the board decided that Manning was the one.

I didn’t know much about Manning so I looked up his record.

He’s only managed two clubs, a Belgian side in their second tier for 30 games, and then MK Dons for 83 games?!

At MK Dons he had just two seasons, one where he finished in the playoffs then lost the semi-finals, and then got sacked the next season with his side doing awfully?

Look, he might be a massive success, as might literally any manager - Andy Whing, Robbie Fowler, Jermain Defoe, Sol Cambell, Craig Short and Chris Hackett all might be a success, you simply don’t know whether they would or not.

But to appoint him over some of the other names apparently in the frame means that he must have had a hell of an interview (or was really cheap?!)

I’ll support him fully, but I can’t say that I’m not disappointed, apprehensive or that I won’t have the same patience as I would with some of the other names mentioned…

And those other names have had failures, with MApp having plenty of them, so they would be as much of a risk as Manning

I'd happily have MApp back but Manning, whilst not being the 'romantic appointment', on what we can look at would be a reasonable appointment.

Also, not aimed at you, but where has this idea that Manning is the cheap option come from? If the owners have shown anything, it is that they'll spend so they won't go for the 'cheap option'.

This assumes it is actually Manning of course.

Wake up. Appleton gone, replaced by a Manager that had a worse season than Robinson, and I have to read about "win percentage" like it isn't a stat Tim Sherwood invented to unsuccessfully try and save his own managerial career, Christ what fresh hell is this.
Yeah, because wins don't matter. It's more about vibes felt by fans, I guess.

People need to stop going on about it ‘being the cheap option’
That’s ridiculous, and is not true!

I believe current coaches will stay until the end of the season and things will be reviewed then, rightly so.

Our recruitment will be going down the more data driven route, like your Brighton, Brentford’s did to get to where they are and Plymouth started last summer. Working well for them with a young promising coach…
Some managers wouldn’t want to work within that.
Manning does.
We’ll also be going back to signing more younger players with potential like before.

We have real promising youngsters within our academy and want a manager who’s proven to improve and work with youngsters and will bring them through.
That’s Manning.
There’s no point having an academy, spending a lot of money on it, hiring Kinniburgh if you then don’t have a head coach willing and able to promote our own youngsters.

Of course he’s a risk, any manager appointment is.
People wanted Buckingham. Why? Because he was young and works for the City group?
Manning did as well and was certainly rated higher by them than Buckingham is.

Last summer Manning was tipped to be a top top head coach in the future. A poor summer recruiting and 15 matches and he’s now unwanted.
We want a new modern structure at the club, so you need a modern head coach.

It might fail miserably, it could work a treat!

Yeah, because wins don't matter. It's more about vibes felt by fans, I guess.
Wins don't matter more than points, league positions and promotions matter, and they need to be grounded in context. Focusing on win ratios instead of points, league positions, promotions and proper context only makes sense if you're trying to hide something about the points, league positions and promotions. Like Tim Sherwood was.

Last edited:

I believe current coaches will stay until the end of the season and things will be reviewed then, rightly so.

Our recruitment will be going down the more data driven route, like your Brighton, Brentford’s did to get to where they are and Plymouth started last summer. Working well for them with a young promising coach…
Manning does.
We’ll also be going back to signing more younger players with potential like before.

We have real promising youngsters within our academy and want a manager who’s proven to improve and work with youngsters and will bring them through.
That’s Manning.
There’s no point having an academy, spending a lot of money on it, hiring Kinniburgh if you then don’t have a head coach willing and able to promote our own youngsters.

People wanted Buckingham. Why? Because he was young and works for the City group?

Last summer Manning was tipped to be a top top head coach in the future. A poor summer recruiting and 15 matches and he’s now unwanted.

[emoji122]

The negativity is depressing. A bright, articulate, clear thinking, exciting and progressive young manager yet we want lower league journeymen like Appleton and McCann. I applaud the board, this is the forward thinking appointment that is needed. Was him or Holden for me, of those who were gettable.

Manning does.

That’s Manning.

Absolutely spot on. I think he ticks so many boxes in terms of long term vision for the club. Need to get League 1 status confirmed and then we can start looking up.

Wins don't matter, points , league positions and promotions matter. Focusing on wins instead of points, league positions and promotions only makes sense if you're trying to hide something about the points, league positions and promotions. Like Tim Sherwood was.
Wins means points and lots of them mean promotion.

Seriously?? Manning??!
They’ve had months to come up with a contingency plan and nearly 2 weeks to get in an emergency KR replacement. There was a perfect ready-made fit in Mapp. McCann was available as well as a bunch of other decent candidates.
I just do not understand the thinking - apart from being cheap and easily malleable into someone they can control better, unlike motormouth.
Perhaps the others could see through the club’s bs and ran a mile.
He (LM) talks well, he’s measured, young and hopefully forward thinking but to say he’s the right guy for now is a seriously risky gamble and a huge miss by the board again.
They just do not read the room do they.
Very disappointed and extremely underwhelmed but if he’d have come in straight after Burton or Cambridge I’d have been much more positive as it would’ve shown quick decision making.
Time will tell.

Manning does.

That’s Manning.

I wish this post was written in October or latest January when we weren't so much in the sh*t.
As it is, full and unwavering support to get the points we need this season. From everyone!

COYY

As a modern coach as compared to a old School I hope that he has the tactical nous to realise that all the playing out from the back and tippy tap football won’t work here at the moment

Manning does.

That’s Manning.

If you're going to read any post this morning, read this one. ☝️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom