Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Twitter account has 96 followers (absolute tosh), the betting market for Oxford United managers would shift based on £50 worth of bets, it’s the only reason ‘bet victor’ do it is to make some small money by encouraging people to bet on favourites etc etc. If I had the money to just throw away I would put £100 on one of the huge outsiders and we could watch the odds shorten in a matter of minutes.

Let’s be calm
Or in the words of those scousers Robinson and Fowler “ Calm Down, Calm Down”

Exactly the same. It’s not like he, in the short term is any better than those. On a short term till the end of the season I would actually prefer westley or that jockanise lump because I think they’d keep us up.

If we get Appleton we will be in a massive fight till the last day, and if we’re not it’ll be because we’re already down.

I’d far rather wilder or a battling manager than someone that only succeeds when they can build their own squad.

If he signs for the new season he’ll be good but we will need someone with more grit and an undeniable determination to keep us up.

For now I’d prefer a boring Atkins type manager that will keep us up with horrible 1-0s and keeps us in league 1 come August.
It doesnt have to be as simple as that though does it?

We could stay up with an Appleton type or go down with a firefighter type.

As long as we get the right manager in, we can start to build the club back up again be it this season or next.

Fowler would be an incredibly lazy appointment.

The board took months to finally sack Robinson, they took the easiest option which was to do nothing for months, if they appointed Fowler that would be another lazy, easiest option.

I simply don’t believe that better candidates are not interested in the job.

A professional recruitment process isn’t too much to ask, surely?

Since he has been sacked we have had 3 favourites in Steve C, Appleton and now Fowler. Behind them the odds have changed dramatically, Andy Whing is suddenly in at 25/1. That’s in just over 48 hours since Robinson got sacked. There will be many more changes in the coming days.

After what KR has done to us last summer, I think it will take 3 years even under Jesus Christ to turn this club around. Staying up this season, next season will be offloading players and steadily recruiting and then even the season after may still be part of a transition. It really depends how easily we can get the deadwood off our books who are sitting on reasonable contracts without breaking the bank and then sourcing decent players. We barely have any foundation to build from - I'd happily see all 3 keepers leave, the midfield gutted entirely minus Cam and only retaining the likes of GOD and Goodrham. Appleton's first stint was a gradual revolving door of replacements and improvements but any manager coming to us now will have to club together an entirely new team and then work around that.

It's not going to be easy or cheap and this league is hard enough as it is but as a fan, I wouldn't expect anything for a good 2-3 years before we remotely have a competent and stable team once again. Ridding players will be just as hard and as expensive as bringing ones in.
The Scummers and Wigan both built sides from nothing last season to get into the promotion places so it can be done in a much shorter time sometimes.

My guess, based on absolutely nothing at all other than gut instinct, is it won't be any of the main names mentioned so far (MApp, Buckingham, Murty, Fowler etc)

@UTO any idea if there is a shortlist, and who we are targeting.

Come and calm us all down.

Many thanks
Paul Wanless
It’s Fowlers!!!!!

Sorry, only joking! No idea at the moment. Like I said before, that Tiger is involved. And Fowler was at his last week in Thailand.
Surely would be enough people realising it wouldn’t be the best decision for it to go ahead. But then I’m not sure I’d trust the majority who will be making the decision on many footballing decisions!

I'd really like to see an interim boss appointed. I know a recruitment process could be carried out in a fortnight, but if we could just get to the end of the season with an interim then we might be able to see a fuller recruitment process completed.

However the problem with an interim appointment is the candidate pool is reduced.

If there is anyway MAPP would take it on an initial interim basis then that would be ideal. It may be that he is a good long-term option, but I think he could steady the ship in the short term and get buy in from the fans from day 1. An interim appointment works 2 ways, he could also check out the board and make sure it is the right option for him.

I'm not sure comparing how he started with us last time is that relevant this time around. It's a different scenario, and he is more experienced. More long-term someone like MAPP with an up and coming coach like Buckingham as a number 2 feels like a dream ticket. If MAPP does well again and moves on then someone like Buckingham can step up. I appreciate that someone like Buckingham may feel he is ready for a Div 1 role so that may be an issue. I think we need not only to replace Robinson, but we need a new number 2 with built in succession planning.

Maybe its the inner child in me but the chance for MAPP to become a long lasting hero of OUFC does appeal to me; he is up there already but could you imagine the love in if he got us to the Championship!!
Remember the reception Jim Smith got when he came back the second time? I would imagine Appletons welcome would be similar.

It’s Fowlers!!!!!

Sorry, only joking! No idea at the moment. Like I said before, that Tiger is involved. And Fowler was at his last week in Thailand.
Surely would be enough people realising it wouldn’t be the best decision for it to go ahead. But then I’m not sure I’d trust the majority who will be making the decision on many footballing decisions!

Who would you like to see get the job?

Out of interest, why is there so much animosity towards Fowler ? I don’t know whether he’s a capable coach or not so cant really say what he’s like. But to say stuff like ‘F*ck off Fowler‘ just seems a bit weird - on what basis does he deserve that ? I’m aware he’s a mate of Robinson but how immature, childish and small time would that be to discount someone on the basis he’s friends with the ex manager, proper playground stuff.

Who gives a s**t whether he's mates with Robinson, it’s so pathetic.

All we need to do this season is be marginally less s**t than 4 other sides. I think the squad we have is more than capable of that now that the major obstacle to clarity and commonsense has been removed.

Who would you like to see get the job?
Have changed my mind numerous times already since Sunday!

Richardson for the job he did with Wigan was my initial first choice.
I loved Appleton and would never be upset on him returning.
We’ve had no plans to recruit a DOF, so the likes of Buckingham or anyone in their first managerial role would be a risk.

A lazy appointment like Fowler or someone who Tiger knows from Reading like Murty would be very different approach to when Tiger eventually appointmented his second choice, Robinson, last time!

I remember that Wilder did his OUFC homework and also blew Lenegan (I think) away with the prep and knowledge he brought to his interview. That is from memory but it came from the chairman at the time.

Spot on. And that, for me, is what we should be doing now - appointing 'Wilder 2023'.

There must be plenty of applicants (in or out of work) with pedigree at this level or below that would, at interview, clearly demonstrate the knowledge and belief to sort this out short and long-term.

"I'd play this formation. I'd build the team around Cam. I'd ideally like to bring in this and that in the Summer but in the meantime we can get around it by doing Y".

Someone that leaves you thinking he's ready to roll and has been waiting for such an opportunity - not just deigning to apply as it's the current vacancy.

Ironically those seeking the bigger names are arguably falling into the same trap as KR does with players - "they've done it once before, ignore the recent record, we can get the best out of them again". You probably won't.

I'd rather the managerial appointment was the same as our player recruitment should be. Get the best from our level/just below and, crucially, on the way up.

I'd personally be really pleased if it's a bit of an outsider that wowed at interview, but with a demonstrated history of outperforming budget elsewhere.

As I say, Wilder for the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom