Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just not some random ex footballer who Tiger knows.

A propper L1 manager who knows how to win in this league
Tbf they sort of did that when they hired KR. We were linked with all sorts of names at the time but they decided on KR, who was the right man for the job at the time. We can’t really afford to be too experimental here, we need to stop conceding goals and become hard to beat. The rest can come next season.

Whoever it is will probably need to bring at least one coach with them from the off. We have room as Mousinho was never replaced and it means they have an ally who will also be part of things moving forward. Then at the end of the season they can see what they want to do regarding the current coaching staff, but I think parachuting someone in totally on their own might not be optimal.

I would love a Des Buckingham or Will Still type appointment, but I fear that neither are attainable. They’re on to good things at their respective ends and with a bit more patience will likely get extremely good jobs in England, if they even have any desire to ever come back. They might never wish to.

For me, I would like to see Appleton come back as he has produced some of the best football I have seen OUFC play in recent times and there was such a positive vibe around the place when he was here. I may be being sentimental however and do take the point he tends to need time to build a side and a way of playing.

I like the shout for Paul Simpson, Carlisle are playing some good stuff on a low budget but I believe he is from Cumbria so maybe difficult to persuade to relocate.

I would be against Leam Richardson personally, I remember being at the game at Wigan last season (the one we scored that wonder goal) and their style of play was terrible. I remember the Wigan fans were really disgruntled and I think they were top of the league at the time. I wasn't surprised to see him fired early into the new season in the Championship.

I would be excited by the Des Buckingham suggestion, new ideas, up and coming coach and an Oxford lad to boot. But only if he was shown to be of sufficient calibre following a stringent interview process. Which raises another question, who will conduct the interviews and can we trust their judgement? It feels like the next few months are massive in terms of the future of OUFC both on and off the pitch.

A few months ago Appleton was the choice, but he’s a slow builder, and yes once things get put into place we are like a well oiled machine. Unfortunately as it’s been left a bit too late, we need someone that can get these players going and motivate them, and get a tune out of a player like Murphy.

Wilder is the man for the short term to see us stay up. Then employ a DOF and head coach in the summer, along with new coaching staff.

I think there will be a lot of managers currently employed that will apply for this job. It’s an attractive job for managers, as they know we are not really a sacking club, and as a fanbase we are very patient. A new stadium on the horizon, and an exciting young talented crop of players coming through, then you have a state of the art training ground to work in.

It’s going to be interesting!
What exactly is the role of DOF in your opinion please? Is he also head of recruitment, identifying players but leaving it to the chief exec to negotiate transfer fees and wages? Would you see the head coach having the right to veto any proposed players in or out? Clearly you consider that the head coach reports to the DOF (who else would you see reporting to the DOF?) and I assume you see the DOF reporting to the chief exec? Does that mean that Mark Rogers would not have been considered as a candidate for a DOF at Oxford?

I want someone who can return us to the times we saw under Appleton - fantastic football played by a mix of good professionals and a conveyer belt of exciting young talent.

But whoever is appointed also needs to understand that's an ambition to start building once we are safe for next season. We are very much still able to get relegated, so they need to be able to get points on the board as soon as they start.

Voted Appleton - what wasn’t to like, a young team packed full of emerging talent playing passing football to promotion. Lovely.

I really dont care though if it’s him, Critchley, Richardson, Wilder… just somebody sensible who knows the division and what it takes to get out of it. Not some mad celebrity name like Kluivert or Ravanelli because Tiger and Tim have got starstruck.

Luke Williams 42, Notts County Manager would be my choice they play a very attractive exciting brand of football, young hungry everything we need, no to any ex manager Wilder &Appleton have had there day with us

Paul Simpson ....ex player ....u20s world cup winner with england.....has won back to back promotions with carlisle - currently in his 2nd stint at carlise .....hed be top of my list ......yet not on the poll choices?

Maybe another ex player steve mclaren as dof ? Simpson has worked as mclarens assistant previously so that should work too

Dean Smith would show intent
Extremely unpopular at Norwich. I know beggars can’t be choosers but I don’t see it with him. Something about that wouldn’t fill me with optimism.

Wilder or Richardson for me. Someone who know this league, both how to stay in it and get out of it the right way, or worst case scenario makes us favourites in L2.

Unless it’s someone with a perfect record, I wouldn’t want a stop gap as they won’t care about the consequences of going down. I want someone here for 18 months minimum who gives us a chance now and in whatever league we find ourselves in next year.

Luke Williams 42, Notts County Manager would be my choice they play a very attractive exciting brand of football, young hungry everything we need, no to any ex manager Wilder &Appleton have had there day with us
He’d come in and recall Jodi instantly.

On condition he brings Jodi back with him.
Edit. @Swaby39 beat me to it.

I would rather us look forward than constantly look back. Also I’m not sure returning managers are a good idea. Wilder maybe because enough time has passed and he’s gone on to achieve great things.

I loved Appleton, but is he really any more proven in League 1 than KR? We played sensational football in League 2, and he did a good job the next season but it wasn’t an exceptional season by any means.

I would rather have someone new to the club to be honest.

Tell you all a left field shout who I would snap your hand off for is Valerien Ismael. Currently out of work. I’d take him tomorrow for this relegation battle. Never have any complaints about a physical, hard-working side ever again!

Yeah, Appleton feels like he was a serendipitous "right place, right time" appointment for Oxford. Not sure he'd be the same if he came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom