Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have welcomed Mous taking over but in some ways him going means we take a wider, proper look as opposed to just assuming he’d be the right man. I’m a bit bewildered by people against Fowler on the basis he’s mates with and coached under Robinson, yet Mous‘s only coaching experience comes under Robinson - of whom he spoke glowingly of earlier this week, saying what he learnt etc. It’s fickle to say the least that one appears scarred by his KR connection but the other seen as a saviour and the latter one worked with him day in day out.

Yes, he’s doing well currently at Pompey but he’ll need a fast start there next season to survive. He’d likely have been given much more time here to build something.
I think it's because Mous wasn't only here because of Robbo .
He was very well respected as Chairman of the PFA and earned his badges while always looking to improve himself.
His persona was extremely intelligent and motivated , speaks very well .
Fowler was only here in a kind of mysterious ad hoc coaching role, his son and other boys getting trials at our academy at the expense of our own which possibly was something to do with Dan Harris leaving as well as his not exactly great manager record coupled with the old ' coke taking ' joke doesn't compare .

How we are above these sides considering how poor we’ve been this season shows how ridiculously weak this division is this season. Last season I reckon we would have been adrift at the bottom with our results.
on the 1st March 2022 we would have been 18th. (18th 2021, 19th 2020) and the last time we had 36 points from 34 games, in 2019 we were 20th. The last time 36 from 34 was properly in the **** (rather than on the fringes) was 2006, when strangely MK Dons would have been the club below.

But do we trust the board not to make a lazy, easy appointment? That’s my main concern right now
The board could already have made an easy appointment.
There seems to have been no leaks of any sort yet, so no reason to think that they aren't going through a thorough process (and I assume that in these cases they are getting advice and preparing well in advance)

Tiger took two months to hire Robinson. He's involved in this process.
Not sure what relevance that has?
Tiger is a minority shareholder now so won't be making the final decision.
It is now about getting in the right person and not rushing into anything ( assuming that there in not an interim manager)
The dilemma is that we need to start getting points quickly.
Lose Saturday and the pressure increases to get someone in

Nigel Adkins till the end of the season, then.
I would love it to be MAPP and Des. Somehow think it’s going to be a cheap appointment, but hope I’m wrong.
It would be good to know if anyone has ruled themselves out, which would at least suggest interviews have started

My read on it is that Michael Appleton and Grant McCann have probably applied and will be interviewed, amongst other candidates. I'd be shocked if that included Robbie Fowler. I think the club will want to have someone in by Derby.

My read on it is that Michael Appleton and Grant McCann have probably applied and will be interviewed, amongst other candidates. I'd be shocked if that included Robbie Fowler. I think the club will want to have someone in by Derby.
I agree, and think that would ideally be the correct timeframe. Even if this person is not in charge on the day, you'd want them in and around the club already, so they can have a good look at things and get a handle on the squad. The Derby game is essentially a free hit, before two absolutely huge games away to Morecambe and home to Cheltenham. Let them come in, see the lie of the land and devise a plan with those 2 games in mind.

I would love it to be MAPP and Des. Somehow think it’s going to be a cheap appointment, but hope I’m wrong.
It would be good to know if anyone has ruled themselves out, which would at least suggest interviews have started
Based on the money that the owners have been prepared to spend on transfers, and the training ground, what would lead you to believe that they would go for the cheap option? Genuine question.

I'm expecting them to spend good money on whomever comes in. Its a huge appointment for them. (Doesn't mean they'll make the right decision, but sure they will spend good money regardless).

With the 6th biggest budget in the league available ( we has 8th biggest according to the club), the investment in the training facilities, the youth set up and women's team, I have no idea why the manager would be a 'cheap appointment'.
I would be amazed if that was the case

Out of interest, what has the betting world seen or heard to install Robbie Fowler as favourite for the job?

Recalling him as a player and a Liverpool Spice-boy minor celebrity, I saw very little that made me think "Manager" or "Leader".

Maybe he's matured from his off field business work?

But it honestly feels like an April fools joke one month early

I’m happy if it’s Appleton, even if we go down. He is the man to get us back up. At the moment we look as though we are heading down. The odds seem to be drifting for Des Buckingham…he would be an appointment to excite the supporters.
The club has been allowed to drift into a mess none of us can see where the next win is coming from.
The results yesterday helped a bit, but the players really need to step up after our great leader went on Sunday

Out of interest, what has the betting world seen or heard to install Robbie Fowler as favourite for the job?
Nothing, is the short answer. Bookies compile a list of names, some will make more sense than others. One gets mentioned a few times on twitter etc, some people pretend to be in the know and people bet on it making odds shorten dramatically. The bookies have no idea themselves so massively over react to any bets being placed which sometimes leads to more bets going on as people get excited thinking someone knows something.

Would Appleton be a right choice?. Yes we got promoted and had two wembley visits with him, I do remember that fans were frustrated with him regarding a slow start and the tippy tappy me to you and you to me style of football.

I think it's because Mous wasn't only here because of Robbo .
He was very well respected as Chairman of the PFA and earned his badges while always looking to improve himself.
His persona was extremely intelligent and motivated , speaks very well .
Fowler was only here in a kind of mysterious ad hoc coaching role, his son and other boys getting trials at our academy at the expense of our own which possibly was something to do with Dan Harris leaving as well as his not exactly great manager record coupled with the old ' coke taking ' joke doesn't compare .
Indeed. I really don’t think it’s difficult to comprehend how the waters are a little muddy regarding RF.

Add in the fact that Mousinho was the main man in charge of set pieces, and when he left we were something like the second highest scorers from them and in the top 6/7 defensively. As soon as Mousinho left we went into freefall and have conceded three goals in two of the last three games. We have been actively getting worse.

By contrast, Fowler has been helping out with our attackers all season and we’ve looked about as sharp as a butter knife, and is seemingly contributing nothing of worth.

You’d like to think so, but the impression I got was that the board really didn’t want to make any sort decision about Robinson until the end of the season at the earliest.

Maybe the penny finally dropped after the Cambridge game, but I somehow doubt the board were being actively proactive in a comprehensive search before then.
I don’t know, I mean Tiger had Robbie Fowler over for dinner didn’t he!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom