Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just having a look at the loans Appleton got in for Lincoln… Brennan Johnson, Morgan Whittaker, Josh Griffiths, Brooke Norton-Cuffy, Alex Palmer, Conor Coventry, Morgan Rogers. All at Championship level now with the exception of Brennan Johnson, who frankly should never have been anywhere near League One.

That ability to identify potential alongside the level of trust from big academies is a huge advantage in the lower leagues - maximum quality and affordable.
That chat when we played Lincoln, and Mapp was in the stand..."He wants us to win, he wants us to win."

Just having a look at the loans Appleton got in for Lincoln… Brennan Johnson, Morgan Whittaker, Josh Griffiths, Brooke Norton-Cuffy, Alex Palmer, Conor Coventry, Morgan Rogers. All at Championship level now with the exception of Brennan Johnson, who frankly should never have been anywhere near League One.

That ability to identify potential alongside the level of trust from big academies is a huge advantage in the lower leagues - maximum quality and affordable.

Although that doesn't help us this year.

Unless he knows some quality free agents that still haven't found a club, whoever comes in this season has to keep us up with what they've got.

The ability to spot a player isn't relevant until the summer. The ability to organize and motivate a flawed squad is what's needed right now.

(not saying that MApp can't do it......but he's never successfully played firefighter before, has he? And does he even want the job??)

I find it quite staggering that any Oxford fan would be against a return for Mapp. Having a preferred candidate yes but I would never be upset to see him return.

I wonder how attitudes would be different had he left for the manager’s position at Leicester instead of the assistant.

People keep thinking him going to be a number two elsewhere is disrespectful & I have no idea why.

Critchley done the same with mid-table Championship Blackpool.

Unless he knows some quality free agents that still haven't found a club, whoever comes in this season has to keep us up with what they've got.

The ability to spot a player isn't relevant until the summer. The ability to organize and motivate a flawed squad is what's needed right now.

(not saying that MApp can't do it......but he's never successfully played firefighter before, has he? And does he even want the job??)

Isco is available and should be relatively fit. :)

Totally agree, I do think there’s the benefit with Mapp of the instant support and rapport with the fan base. I also think he’d play Smyth as a holding mid (he’s always had a Lunny, Bridcutt type) and even if he’s awful, freeing up Cam, Bate and McGuane would make us a hundred times better systematically.

I was more alluding though that someone like Buckingham might sound fun and exciting, but he’s not got those relationships and no history of being able to identify a player for this level of football. I’m not against the idea, just think it’s a gamble against Appletons track record in L1.

Imagine what MAPP would have done with Karl's budget. He was the master of identifying great, young talent. Imagine what he could unlock with double the budget he had.

My head says never go back and try to recreate a great thing. But then I remember that game against Carlisle, the Swansea win, the way we were being talked about in the press at the time.

Mapp gave us the best Oxford United there has ever been during my lifetime. If he wants it he should get it.

B
Imagine what MAPP would have done with Karl's budget. He was the master of identifying great, young talent. Imagine what he could unlock with double the budget he had.

My head says never go back and try to recreate a great thing. But then I remember that game against Carlisle, the Swansea win, the way we were being talked about in the press at the time.

Mapp gave us the best Oxford United there has ever been during my lifetime. If he wants it he should get it.
Born in the 90’s then …..

I'm afraid we never,will know what the outcome of that season would of been , in normal circumstances. We were definitely flying, our next match was ironically ,going to be Wycombe. A loss there could of put a spanner in the works, & derailed us . Wycombe gaining promotion, for not even being in a playoff place. In my opinion is false
What you said was wrong ( we scraped into the play offs)
Wycombe had a lot of away games to play and would have scraped into the play offs at best.
Regardless, we were on a great run , deserved to be in the play offs at a minimum and has we continued our firm would have been very close to the Top 2

What you said was wrong ( we scraped into the play offs)
Wycombe had a lot of away games to play and would have scraped into the play offs at best.
Regardless, we were on a great run , deserved to be in the play offs at a minimum and has we continued our firm would have been very close to the Top 2

Rotherham were also imploding at the time.

The club is completely different from Appys last time. It barely has relevance. New board, new training ground, completely different squad. It would carry the same risk as any new manager, no question of "unfinished business."

Many of the same faces on the coaching staff though (weirdly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom