Manager/Coach Next Manager

Who do you want as next manager of our club?

• Neil Critchley

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Leam Richardson

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Chris Wilder

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Michael Appleton

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • AN Other

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • A very well known AN Other

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Des Buckingham

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Grant McCann

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Steve Morrison

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dean Whitehead

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Paul Simpson

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely no chance of PL, I've got more chance of managing in the PL than he has. The only way he's getting there again is by taking a team there. High end Championship ? What's the next step for a high end Championship club ? The PL - wont happen. He needs to start again down towards the bottom of the Championship, build the club up - as he did at Luton - and get them punching above their weight to make the play offs, something he is very good at. A top L1 job, I think, might appeal, it's whether or not he'd see us as a big enough club to match what he's achieved so far.
Agree 100%. Think the best he can hope for is a Championship team facing an inevitable drop. Huge bonus to keep them up and if not he's in L1 with the resource to rebuild and go back. I think if we were 5 or 6 points better off, he would take us on. But maybe he feels League Two is one step too far - relegation is 50/50 right now. Suspect that's a hard negotiation if we are keen.

Nathan Jones for all his hype in the EFL has only achieved 2nd place in League 2. He actually left Luton months before they won the league 2 title for a failed stint at Stoke. Then returned to Luton to help them stay up and despite a strong Championship campaign after, he then had another failed stint at Southampton.

Definitely a big name for us but he’s jumped ship twice at critical times and has really struggled outside of Luton Town. We could be ideal for him right now and I’m sure he’s bailing days are over but his struggles in replicating his work with Luton could make him a one-club wonder like a few out there.

Nathan Jones for all his hype in the EFL has only achieved 2nd place in League 2. He actually left Luton months before they won the league 2 title for a failed stint at Stoke. Then returned to Luton to help them stay up and despite a strong Championship campaign after, he then had another failed stint at Southampton.

Definitely a big name for us but he’s jumped ship twice at critical times and has really struggled outside of Luton Town. We could be ideal for him right now and I’m sure he’s bailing days are over but his struggles in replicating his work with Luton could make him a one-club wonder like a few out there.
Always harsh to judge a manager for wanting to better themselves. Just like players, opportunities for big moves are not that regular and if you don't take it when your stock is high then what's the point? You'll forever be mediocre.

Watford have spent quite a few seasons in the Premier league during there present ownership. So perhaps managers should be refreshed every year?
I'm not sure what this "constant churning of managers breeds success" malarkey is all about! It can take 12-18 months to really ingrain yourself into a football club and establish a working way. Rodgers at Swansea, Potter at Brighton, Howe at Bournemouth, Frank at Brentford is a prime example of how it works well. Watford are a yo yo club, which is acceptable for a few seasons, but there is no progress. Bournemouth, Brighton, Southampton, to name a few all managed to punch above their weight consistently by having an established system and type of manager.

Brighton made sure De Zerbi could slot in where Potter left. Sure it will hit a limit probably but Watford's limit is yo yo due to their incompetent board. I call them that because they seem incapable of realising that it does not work!

The supporters were on his back from day one and everything was very negative. The supporters wanted a premiership manager
Aaaah I see. I thoguht you meant the club, not the fans. Seems odd to hire someone you don't want 😅

Always harsh to judge a manager for wanting to better themselves. Just like players, opportunities for big moves are not that regular and if you don't take it when your stock is high then what's the point? You'll forever be mediocre.
I agree. It's rare to get a player that wants to stay at their hometown club when the premier League come calling let alone a manager. It's all about money for most players and managers.

That said, if I was managing the club and Man City asked me to take over, I'd be back at the Kassam in the morning (or I'd like to think I would be 🥴)

From 66/1 to 4/1, wow.

I know our owners are minted but...

I agree. Why would Nathan Jones want a possible relegation from L1 to L2 on his CV?
He seems to have a first love, Luton. He might well wait and take a sabbatical until Luton have a managerial vacancy again.
Im sure he’d be aiming higher than L1 and may well think he has unfinished business at Luton.
After Southampton, a job at PL might be too much to expect. Saints never wanted him in the first place

Why would he indeed.

But then why would Tony Bloom pump millions into Brighton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom