How to complete the season

Thanks both - so the SFs would be Oxford v Wycombe and Fleetwood v Peterborough...

This would keep McAnthrobus happy, but exclude Pompey, Sunderland and Ipswich, who are the other three in the rebel six... aah diddums!
However, with unweighted now in pole position, this would mean Wycombe v Fleetwood and Oxford v Portsmouth....with no Peterborough, no wonder no unanimous agreement could be reached

Interesting comment below this - "I think the weighted one is worse to be honest, teams with an easy run in get a double punishment and those with a tougher run in get undue credit. - actually a fair point!!
It’s nothing to do with predicting future results. You can’t do that. It is about giving credit for actual performance.
This is why you need statisticians deciding, not football people who wear the same pants every Saturday and only eat cornflakes if it’s an away Tuesday match.

I personally think that any outcome has negative issues and will no doubt end up with some form of legal challenge. My main issue Is that the decision makers are putting to much power on the clubs to avoid making the tough choices themselves l.

How’s that if they’re doing play offs think of the legal challenges

It’s such an ambiguous, vague statement. So, the season is ended, but the playoffs happen “as usual”? Umm, how? And surely L2 can’t decide to promote teams if L1 haven’t decided whether to relegate and accept L2 promotions?

Last edited:
Peterborough are going to majorly kickoff if un-weighted PPG is used for L1 and sees them miss out on the play-offs.
As one of the "rebel 6" as we're being called, are we essentially supporting Peterborough's viewpoint on all possible outcomes?

It seems quite clear to me. unweighted ppg to determine which teams are automatically promoted, finish in the playoffs and relegation zone.

Then the playoffs are played as normal, except behind closed doors. I'd be happy with that.

Interesting comment below this - "I think the weighted one is worse to be honest, teams with an easy run in get a double punishment and those with a tougher run in get undue credit. - actually a fair point!!
But that's exactly the same argument that could be used with PPG. Weighted just accounts for the ONLY variable that can be accounted for - home or away - and so gives a more accurate impression of teams' performances thus far. By your argument, we're getting doubly punished for having had more away games this far into the season, when we've been better at home.

I really hope we don't take this lying down and accept straight PPG. I really don't think playoffs will happen, so when it comes to it, the team in 3rd on PPG will probably just be promoted.

So our worst case scenario is now the final table being decided by unweighted PPG and then the play-offs being scrapped due to the inability to get them on due to Covid. Thus seeing the top 3 going up, and us being stuck in 4th due to the calculation method.
Exactly. Would love to see the minutes for this meeting to see who decided that weighted PPG makes less sense than straight PPG.

But that's exactly the same argument that could be used with PPG. Weighted just accounts for the ONLY variable that can be accounted for - home or away - and so gives a more accurate impression of teams' performances thus far. By your argument, we're getting doubly punished for having had more away games this far into the season, when we've been better at home.

I really hope we don't take this lying down and accept straight PPG. I really don't think playoffs will happen, so when it comes to it, the team in 3rd on PPG will probably just be promoted.
It’s what pisses me (or the scientist in me) off the most. There are people who know exactly what the statistical issues, biases, pluses, minuses etc are. There were people 150 years ago who could give you a fully justified fair result for the league based on all the factors that we know (and sent back to them in a time machine). In the 21st century we have people who extract information out of far worse, noisier datasets, but instead we find it fairer to rely on the gut instincts, “common sense” and overt biases of all the conflicted individuals.
At least after this season there will be a clause that says something on the lines of “in the case of the season turning to s**t, the table will be decided on the basis of ...”.

Peterborough are going to majorly kickoff if un-weighted PPG is used for L1 and sees them miss out on the play-offs.
As one of the "rebel 6" as we're being called, are we essentially supporting Peterborough's viewpoint on all possible outcomes?
Im beginning to realise weve got clever people running us if Im understanding these complicated but fast moving developments correctly. Unweighted ppg doesnt favour posh for obvious reasons but it doesnt favour us either if theres no play-offs. Can see why weve got into bed with them now ?

Im beginning to realise weve got clever people running us if Im understanding these complicated but fast moving developments correctly. Unweighted ppg doesnt favour posh for obvious reasons but it doesnt favour us either if theres no play-offs. Can see why weve got into bed with them now [emoji16]

Maybe but it doesn’t seem to have worked so far, does it? WPPG has gone from being the preferred method, to not being the preferred method.

Standard PPG leaves us with what I’d imagine most would consider a tougher semi-final and would also mean we lose out if, hypothetically, a decision is taken to promote the team in third if no play-offs are possible.

Yeah, I knew that - please ignore me - erm, as you were!!?

Well, let's just hope that if they go straight PPG, they then choose to follow the decision they've (almost) taken at the base of L2 and only promote the auto sides (Barrow for Bury) and not a playoff side too (not Harrogate > not relegate Stevenage).
This would then mean just the top three from L2 go up and southend and Bolton (and Bury) down.
Likewise Cov and Rotherham only, with just Luton and Barnsley down.

Back
Top Bottom