National News has the government failed the people with the latest energy price cap?

Have the government failed the people?

• Yes

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Dont know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lets have a general strike

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I blame Corbyn

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
None of the utilities should have ever been privatised. They are all essential to being able to live life in a comfortable way for all.
It's a scandal that anyone is making money out of water. It should be charged at a break even nominal amount, certainly for domestic users and essential services for starters. The quality of the water where I live is nowhere near what it was 20 or so years ago. All they care about is big dividends for their shareholders.

Agree with that.
Certain things should be state controlled in the national interest.
Power
Water
Agriculture/Food
Balanced with some private sector ethos, so basket cases aren`t funded endlessly.

And ban the import of avocado`s and nut "milk". :)

Agree with that.
Certain things should be state controlled in the national interest.
Power
Water
Agriculture/Food
Balanced with some private sector ethos, so basket cases aren`t funded endlessly.

And ban the import of avocado`s and nut "milk". :)
So why the hell are you a Tory?

Looks like Lizzie gets her policies from this forum :)

Truss said to be planning 18-month bill freeze​

e626a6ab-a2ca-4a53-8e3d-2eecc56796bb.jpg

Simon Jack
BBC Business Editor
The BBC understands the government is planning an intervention in the wholesale gas and electricity markets which would benefit both domestic and business customers.
It's thought the government plans to freeze household bills at their current level through this winter and next - so roughly 18 months.
Energy companies would take out government-guaranteed loans to bridge the gap between the wholesale price in the market and the fixed price they are charging customers. Those loans would be repaid over the next 10-20 years through supplements to customer bills.
The precise mechanism to help business may be more complicated and would be reviewed more frequently, but reports suggest it could see the government mandate energy firms to offer specific reductions on the unit price of the energy businesses use.
The way that energy companies would be reimbursed for their losses on sales to business customers is also unclear.
The government estimates that the total package will amount to somewhere between £100-130bn, but the ultimate number will depend on movements in the international energy markets which have been extremely volatile - so it could be less, or it could be a lot more. An intervention of this nature on this scale is very hard to price.
It is also unclear how the government will treat its exposure to the energy market through its loan guarantees, as clearly there is a risk that energy companies might be unable to repay their loans if their domestic customers are unable to pay or if their business customers go bust.

Always happy to help!! 🤣

I reckon my bills will still go up from around £750 per year last year, to £1700 under the new Truss "cap" rates. I believe I'll get a £400 rebate from October to March, so my bills are "only" going up to around £1300 if I don't change my energy usage.

So why the hell are you a Tory?

What I think is a good idea and what is policy or got the political will are often poles apart.

The late 80`s/early 90`s saw the sell offs and nobody since has reversed it.

Flipside of the coin - I may well have profited from the same.

The EU are hitting energy companies with a windfall tax on excessive profits after Liz Truss said that was a 'bad idea'.

Bad idea for whom? Bad because it means the greedy Tories and donors won't be getting as much in their dividend payments from Shell?

Looks like another one of those 'benefits of Brexit'?

The EU are hitting energy companies with a windfall tax on excessive profits after Liz Truss said that was a 'bad idea'.

Bad idea for whom? Bad because it means the greedy Tories and donors won't be getting as much in their dividend payments from Shell?

It's quite amazing that the EU is trying to address the excess profits by taking £120bn from the energy companies and, with the exact same problem our government is giving the energy companies £120bn of taxpayer money!!

I think that's all you need to know about who this Truss government is working for.

So if the EU are hitting the energy companies with a windfall tax who will benefit, who will get it?

Let's be honest, it's the obvious and right thing to do(windfall tax) but it goes against the Tory grain!!

It's quite amazing that the EU is trying to address the excess profits by taking £120bn from the energy companies and, with the exact same problem our government is giving the energy companies £120bn of taxpayer money!!

And of course, some of the time e.g. EDF (who, by the way, are majority owned by the French state) it's the same company.

So effectively, if both programs go through as planned, the UK will be loaning money to EDF, who will then have to turn around and pay more in taxes to the EU.

I thought the whole idea of Brexit was that we were going to fund our NHS instead! :unsure:

From the article....

'The tax would fund support for consumers to pay for energy bills'
Would that include us? That would be the question, and no I didn’t read the article thanks

• Haha
Reactions: QR
Well that’s that then. Up to the government to do similar
Apart from the fact that the government have said they won't do similar because Lizzy 'n' Kwasi no likey the windfall tax (cos their mates might have to forgo a fourth house and eighth holiday each year).

Would be amusing if they decide to U-turn though....I mean it's the right thing to do . . . obvs, but I'm guessing because SKS likes it, Lizzy and Kwasi don't on "principle" (assuming they have any)

They might get there in the end if they don't continue to cut their (and our) noses off to spite their (and our) faces.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom