National News Government alert system: are you bothered?

Are you bothered by the alert system?

• Yes - but I’m keeping the setting on

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Im seeing lots of Tweets against the alert system that’s being tested on Sunday.

I am not particularly bothered by this, but are you?

Hard to say at the moment, depends how they use it and how frequently really. I won't be turning it off straight away.

Turned it off.
What`s the point?
If there is a wildfire or a flood nearby you`ll have a pretty good idea before you get an "alert".
If there is a nuclear strike on the way it`s not going to make a lot of difference.
Most of society aren`t aware of what`s going on 6 foot in front of them because they are "on the phone".

Unnecessary intervention in life thanks, managed almost 60 years without any "emergency alerts".

Turned it off.
What`s the point?
If there is a wildfire or a flood nearby you`ll have a pretty good idea before you get an "alert".
If there is a nuclear strike on the way it`s not going to make a lot of difference.
Most of society aren`t aware of what`s going on 6 foot in front of them because they are "on the phone".

Unnecessary intervention in life thanks, managed almost 60 years without any "emergency alerts".
I knew you'd side with Jacob Rees-Mogg[emoji1787]

Some more handy hints from the haunted pencil here: https://newsthump.com/2023/04/18/ja...-alerts/#google_vignette?utm_content=cmp-true

I'd rather not have a mobile alarm in my pocket, controlled by Government. The UK is not prone to sudden natural disasters so I don't really see what the point is.

You feel if this sort of nannying happened at any time before the Millennium people would be up in arms about it. We've definitely lost our instinct for total freedom, even if this is a relatively low level example of control.

I can't be arsed turning it off yet but the first time I get an alarm for 50mph winds in Scunthorpe, or a wildfire in the Cairngorns when I'm 300 miles away, it's getting deactivated.

I knew you'd side with Jacob Rees-Mogg[emoji1787]

Some more handy hints from the haunted pencil here: https://newsthump.com/2023/04/18/ja...-alerts/#google_vignette?utm_content=cmp-true

Amazingly I have my own opinion.

You see a seatbelt WILL save your life, no matter how good a driver you are its the other twunks that get you.

Carbon monoxide alarms, smoke alarms will alert you to a deadly issue IN YOUR HOUSE.

Some "alert" will make diddly difference to me, mostly because when my phone rings its more a case of "Where is it?" than anything else. :ROFLMAO:

Of course those who are permanently attached to their phones are more likely to be "concerned".

Talking of smoke alarms - why does the chuffing battery ALWAYS start to give a "low" warning at 3am and not 3pm? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't be arsed turning it off yet but the first time I get an alarm for 50mph winds in Scunthorpe, or a wildfire in the Cairngorns when I'm 300 miles away, it's getting deactivated.
That's sort of where I am with it. If they are going to use it for local emergencies, and by 'emergency' I mean something like a child getting taken, then fair enough, otherwise it will be turned off.

Amazingly I have my own opinion.

You see a seatbelt WILL save your life, no matter how good a driver you are its the other twunks that get you.

Carbon monoxide alarms, smoke alarms will alert you to a deadly issue IN YOUR HOUSE.

Some "alert" will make diddly difference to me, mostly because when my phone rings its more a case of "Where is it?" than anything else. [emoji23]

Of course those who are permanently attached to their phones are more likely to be "concerned".

Talking of smoke alarms - why does the chuffing battery ALWAYS start to give a "low" warning at 3am and not 3pm? [emoji23][emoji23]
It was a joke...calm down dear....

Save your froth for more important stuff[emoji1787]

being a technology luddite I prefer to listed to local radio?TV for uptodate info.... all I need a phone to do is take and make calls and text messages. If I want a cuppa Ill make one, I don't need a hand held device to set it up remotely.... and I know Im being tracked by cashless transactions, my email address and old fashioned mobile phone, nonetheless this latest invasive test is the next step towards an Orwellian nightmare.... if I take a dump, I don't want, or need the government to wipe my a**e

In principle, it's not a bad idea. Not sure exactly what these emergencies will be, perhaps the government knows something we don't?
The problems are, however, many and concerning. Much has been made of those who have a "secret" phone to alert authorities when they are facing immediate threat but, there many others who now have a phone as they are vulnerable, infirm or alone. They will often fall into the category of those who do not keep up with current affairs or use social media. That alarm going off on a Sunday afternoon and not being able to switch off or discern any reason for the "noise" could cause some considerable distress, even to the extent of panic and certainly anxiousness.
I sincerely hope that these consequences have been thought through and the proper actions taken to look after anyone at risk.
My parents and in-laws are all, sadly, long gone but all of them would, in their later years, have struggled with any technology that simply started to sound an alarm of this nature.

being a technology luddite I prefer to listed to local radio?TV for uptodate info.... all I need a phone to do is take and make calls and text messages. If I want a cuppa Ill make one, I don't need a hand held device to set it up remotely.... and I know Im being tracked by cashless transactions, my email address and old fashioned mobile phone, nonetheless this latest invasive test is the next step towards an Orwellian nightmare.... if I take a dump, I don't want, or need the government to wipe my a**e
What a feeling it would be though to wipe your a**e on some of the current MP's

Just to show there is nothing new under the sun, the UK had a country-wide warning system right up until the 1990's which consisted of sirens on public buildings or masts. These were relics of the air-raid sirens from WW2 but were retained chiefly to give us the fabled "four minute warning" (police stations throughout the country had a "secret" telephone line linked to RAF Strike Command who issued attack warnings), but they could be used for other scenarios.

The sirens were tested periodically; I remember a test sounding from the 60's when I would have been around six, give or take, but not one after that. The system was dismantled after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Just to show there is nothing new under the sun, the UK had a country-wide warning system right up until the 1990's which consisted of sirens on public buildings or masts. These were relics of the air-raid sirens from WW2 but were retained chiefly to give us the fabled "four minute warning" (police stations throughout the country had a "secret" telephone line linked to RAF Strike Command who issued attack warnings), but they could be used for other scenarios.

The sirens were tested periodically; I remember a test sounding from the 60's when I would have been around six, give or take, but not one after that. The system was dismantled after the fall of the Soviet Union.
They still have this in the Czech Republic.

Back
Top Bottom