National News Prince Phillip has died

Would you not change places why not are you well off already or somthing I know I would swap in a heartbeat.

Depends on what you mean by well off.

I don’t live in a palace, have a castle up north or own a yacht, but I think I am lucky enough to live in a nice house, drive nice cars and I live comfortably, whilst at the same time my life is not full of daily intrusion.

How much money do you need/want to be content or have a decent lifestyle ?

I can also retire anytime I want and pop along to a game of footy or catch up with friends without being surrounded by a hoard of bodyguards in a goldfish bowl. 😉

Depends on what you mean by well off.

I don’t live in a palace, have a castle up north or own a yacht, but I think I am lucky enough to live in a nice house, drive nice cars and I live comfortably, whilst at the same time my life is not full of daily intrusion.

How much money do you need/want to be content or have a decent lifestyle ?

I can also retire anytime I want and pop along to a game of footy or catch up with friends without being surrounded by a hoard of bodyguards in a goldfish bowl. 😉
Suppose if you have a reasonable home afew cars kids good family etc you could say you have it pretty good.

Suppose if you have a reasonable home afew cars kids good family etc you could say you have it pretty good.

Well I guess that all helps, but for me though it’s probably more the intrusion.

Your life isn’t really your own and I couldn’t take that for any money in the world regardless of the privileges that do come with it.

Well I guess that all helps, but for me though it’s probably more the intrusion.

Your life isn’t really your own and I couldn’t take that for any money in the world regardless of the privileges that do come with it.
There was a documentary about David Beckham several years ago where he had to lie down on the back seat of cars to avoid paparazzi and fans trying to get near him, fame comes with serious constraints.

There was a documentary about David Beckham several years ago where he had to lie down on the back seat of cars to avoid paparazzi and fans trying to get near him, fame comes with serious constraints.
Doesnt he have blacked out windows fitted on his fleet of cars?

Danny,

If you need help why don't you say so? The forum here is diverse and on the whole generous.

So if you need help finding a job, medical advice, mental health, health am sure we could help or point you in the right direction.

Thank god there is nothing serious going on in the country, parliament is going to spend a full 7.5 hour day "paying tribute" to Prince Philip....

Ridiculous.

I guess they have come back a day early from Easter recess for this purpose, but nevertheless it seems way OTT.

I should imagine they claim an extra day Per Diems too.

Ridiculous.

I guess they have come back a day early from Easter recess for this purpose, but nevertheless it seems way OTT.

oh yes, fully expensed by the taxpayer.

Prince Philip: BBC receives complaints about TV coverage of duke's death https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56703437

That didn’t take long.

As much as I agree that we should be respectful, the coverage has been over the top.

But it usually always is.
I agree, as an avowed Republican I think the coverage has been over the top, particularly on the BBC. However, as a publicly funded broadcaster the Beeb was in an invidious position - if they weren't falling over themselves to pay tribute the real and faux outrage from the right wing media and the government (and a good many posters here) would have been unbearable. Giving over one TV and one radio station would have been ample for those who wish to pay their respects.

I agree, as an avowed Republican I think the coverage has been over the top, particularly on the BBC. However, as a publicly funded broadcaster the Beeb was in an invidious position - if they weren't falling over themselves to pay tribute the real and faux outrage from the right wing media and the government (and a good many posters here) would have been unbearable. Giving over one TV and one radio station would have been ample for those who wish to pay their respects.
Agreed. Not quite sure why both BBC 1 and BBC 2 and presumably the BBC News channel as well needed to all be showing the same stuff. Surely both those who care and those who really don't should have been catered for and both sets of people can use a remote control to find the channel that suits them? But - as you say - I suspect it was an attempt to head the frothing right wing 'Defund the BBC' lobbyists off at the pass....

Not everyone subscribes to Netflix etc or has a TV that can show online content.

Agreed. Not quite sure why both BBC 1 and BBC 2 and presumably the BBC News channel as well needed to all be showing the same stuff. Surely both those who care and those who really don't should have been catered for and both sets of people can use a remote control to find the channel that suits them? But - as you say - I suspect it was an attempt to head the frothing right wing 'Defund the BBC' lobbyists off at the pass....

Not everyone subscribes to Netflix etc or has a TV that can show online content.
don't forget BBC3/4 showing cards saying programming suspended watch BBC1, normal programming suspended on all BBC national radio.

Ridiculous.

Apparently the Lords are at it too - they can claim a £162 "reduced attendance allowance" even if attending remotely today....

Moral of the story - the nasty right wing meeja stole my Eastenders and it took away my Steve Wright serious jockin'.

Plenty of channels other than BBC - channel 4 was showing a largely unchanged schedule.

I read and saw earlier that National Rail enquiries had made their website all grey print rather than colourful site as a mark of respect. Which then meant some users had difficulty reading the screen etc. Now back in colour again.

I read and saw earlier that National Rail enquiries had made their website all grey print rather than colourful site as a mark of respect. Which then meant some users had difficulty reading the screen etc. Now back in colour again.
Ridiculous.

The shift manager (I presume as he was wearing a white shirt/tie) of Abingdon Waitrose was wearing a black armband yesterday 🤦‍♂️

The shift manager (I presume as he was wearing a white shirt/tie) of Abingdon Waitrose was wearing a black armband yesterday 🤦‍♂️
I'm no Royalist but that's fair enough, if he feels strongly then that's his right - as others have said though the blanket coverage on TV/Radio was OTT.

Apparently the Lords are at it too - they can claim a £162 "reduced attendance allowance" even if attending remotely today....

Ah, it’s very expensive to run those Lap Tops and iPads don’t you know. 🙄🙄

Not to mention extra Wear and Tear to home furnishings and the cost of making some lunch.

Back
Top Bottom