National News has the government failed the people with the latest energy price cap?

Have the government failed the people?

• Yes

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Dont know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lets have a general strike

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I blame Corbyn

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had 1000 BP shares a while back and wished I’d kept them.
I thought that the government would do the right thing and windfall the oil companies. The banks are coining it as interest rates rise again. The government bailed out the banks years ago. Now the tables are turned they should pay their way too.
It is high time they shared their responsibilities too, instead of the taxpayers being royally fleeced
Hung on to my very moderate holding and am looking at a 57% rise in value, as of Friday. And they pay dividends, of course.

I had 1000 BP shares a while back and wished I’d kept them.
I thought that the government would do the right thing and windfall the oil companies. The banks are coining it as interest rates rise again. The government bailed out the banks years ago. Now the tables are turned they should pay their way too.
It is high time they shared their responsibilities too, instead of the taxpayers being royally fleeced

Actually the high street banks are worried that the rise in interest rates together with price inflation will cause a rise in mortgage defaults which leads to more houses going on sale at lower prices and a house price crash.

Actually the high street banks are worried that the rise in interest rates together with price inflation will cause a rise in mortgage defaults which leads to more houses going on sale at lower prices and a house price crash.
Won’t happen

I see Mark’s logic. I worked in mortgage arrears and the rise in mortgage rates always increases the arrears and subsequent repossessions. I’d argue that the long period of low interest rates has resulted in a greed to move up the market into bigger and potentially unaffordable properties. Buyers of property should always consider what will happen if rates rise.
Fixed interest rates can help but those always come to an end often resulting in a big jump in payments. I was lucky enough to have an interest only mortgage that I paid down when investments made came to fruition. Not without risk but I thought well covered.
Landlords, of which I am one, will soon have a remortgage coming up, and we will probably look at a fix, but it will certainly not be at a rate that was enjoyed a few years ago. This may result in a rent rise, although offset by some improvements for our tenants.
I see hard times ahead, but hopefully with blue clouds on the horizon.
Banks have gradually been increasing their provisions for bad debts, that will hopefully see the errors of the nineties not reoccur again

House prices predicted to fall by 8% next year.

With inflation running at 10% that would be an even greater fall in real terms.

A correction does feel long overdue, I wouldn’t be surprised to see house prices slowly decline for the next couple of years.

The reality is that house prices have been falling around Hampshire for the last six months. I don’t see official stats confirming this. I have noticed though that three bungalows nearby have been marketed and fallen through, back on and only showing as sold subject to after reductions in price.
Three four bed detached houses for £600000 came on a couple of months ago. One sold quickly with a local move up market to a property of £850000. One was reduced to £550000 and was then withdrawn. The third one was reduced from £600000 to £550000 a few weeks ago, and remains empty and unsold.
It’s a difficult time to sell this time of year. Think it will be a few years before we get a booming market again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom