National News has the government failed the people with the latest energy price cap?

Have the government failed the people?

• Yes

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Dont know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lets have a general strike

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I blame Corbyn

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You should post this as a reply to the guy on Twitter then you can make a fool of yourself in front of a much bigger audience.
Hang on...are you doubting EY's status as all round (self declared) legend (in his own lunchtime) and wise old sage, who knoweth all there is to knoweth?? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

They suggested it was going to be the "average" - anyone getting close?

Efficiency Tips............
Washing machine & dishwasher go on when we go to bed so on Eco Tariff
Laundry dried on the line in the garden or on clothes horses indoors. No tumble dryer.
Electronics not left on standby.
Fridge/freezer has a low power holiday mode when we are both out.
Thermostat was set at 19oC but we`ve notched it down to 16oC.
Radiator thermostats - can set the guest wing low and shut the door.
Decent combi boiler with a high efficiency rating - ours is rated at 91/92% - regularly serviced as well.
Batch cooking - freeze and reheat.
Halogen oven for roasts etc - uses 75% less energy than the oven.
New kettle. :)

They suggested it was going to be the "average" - anyone getting close?

Efficiency Tips............
Washing machine & dishwasher go on when we go to bed so on Eco Tariff
Laundry dried on the line in the garden or on clothes horses indoors. No tumble dryer.
Electronics not left on standby.
Fridge/freezer has a low power holiday mode when we are both out.
Thermostat was set at 19oC but we`ve notched it down to 16oC.
Radiator thermostats - can set the guest wing low and shut the door.
Decent combi boiler with a high efficiency rating - ours is rated at 91/92% - regularly serviced as well.
Batch cooking - freeze and reheat.
Halogen oven for roasts etc - uses 75% less energy than the oven.
New kettle. :)

Has your heating kicked in at all for the last four months whilst the thermostat has been switched down from 19 to 16, and the ambient temperature been around 24 to 30?

Let’s wait … And see if 16 is a comfortable temperature in December to March.

As you are in a “below average” household why would you need to use all those efficiency tips , unless you are scared the bills will go up too much ?

Has your heating kicked in at all for the last four months whilst the thermostat has been switched down from 19 to 16, and the ambient temperature been around 24 to 30?

Let’s wait … And see if 16 is a comfortable temperature in December to March.

As you are in a “below average” household why would you need to use all those efficiency tips , unless you are scared the bills will go up too much ?

We are doing our bit for the environment, and helping the grid manage supply/demand - compensates for the gas guzzler.

Maybe "doing things" is what makes us a below average household?

16oC is perfectly comfortable for living in.

I will concede that the aircon unit we bought at the peak of the heatwave is absolutely brutal on the electric, but getting a good nights sleep made it more than worthwhile. :)

You should post this as a reply to the guy on Twitter then you can make a fool of yourself in front of a much bigger audience.

The post from his neighbour was on Twitter. Try reading the thread and ignoring the "scandalous" "its XYZs fault" etc etc.

What are your solutions except pointing at other people saying "they should do it" ?

Hang on...are you doubting EY's status as all round (self declared) legend (in his own lunchtime) and wise old sage, who knoweth all there is to knoweth?? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Never declared such a status but I may know more than a lot of people, its called life experience.
If you work your way up the slippery pyramid scheme a bit why not share your experiences, thoughts and ideas on a discussion forum?
Maybe I also just accept that the individual has more choice about their life direction than some other people are willing to admit.
I also accept that there is a percentage of good luck and bad luck along the way, its how you react to those things that also helps.

Just ordered an electric heated Throw come Blanket to save on my energy bills ! May have to get shot of my Car what an outlook when I should be enjoying the later years of my life ! First covid now this 5 FRICKING YEARS OF MY LIFE GONE by the time energy pricing gets back to normal ,if ever !

Just ordered an electric heated Throw come Blanket to save on my energy bills ! May have to get shot of my Car what an outlook when I should be enjoying the later years of my life ! First covid now this 5 FRICKING YEARS OF MY LIFE GONE by the time energy pricing gets back to normal ,if ever !

Or those in charge mitigate things and we end up slightly worse off rather than destitute?

Optimism is better for your health than pessimism. (y)

The post from his neighbour was on Twitter. Try reading the thread and ignoring the "scandalous" "its XYZs fault" etc etc.

What are your solutions except pointing at other people saying "they should do it" ?
Brilliant! Tories crash the car onto the wall and then complains that others won't tell them how to fix their write off!

THE TORIES SHOULDN'T HAVE PRIVATISED NORTH SEA OIL. FULL STOP. if our government owned the production companies it/we would be the beneficiary of the high prices.

Too late now the billionaire have off shored the profits. Remember there are two types of Tories, multimillionaire and the gullible. Check your back account to see which one you are.

Brilliant! Tories crash the car onto the wall and then complains that others won't tell them how to fix their write off!

THE TORIES SHOULDN'T HAVE PRIVATISED NORTH SEA OIL. FULL STOP. if our government owned the production companies it/we would be the beneficiary of the high prices.

Too late now the billionaire have off shored the profits. Remember there are two types of Tories, multimillionaire and the gullible. Check your back account to see which one you are.

However, that privatisation was drip fed to "us" in the form of tax cuts.
In turn that drove a boom in house prices.
Effectively that oil money, rather than being banked like Norway, was converted into bricks & mortar.

And if you think that is beneficial to the Norwegians you haven`t seen the cost of living there.

To help I checked it for you, average salary is similar but........

ec11445a95705c4c38dfe80990d50945.jpg

This is what UK needs asap.

Maybe so, but he's still sh.it though.
And I am loving that EY is throwing this up as some kind of defence, ignoring the obvious fact that Blojo is talking absolute nonsense whether it's out of context or not:ROFLMAO:

Maybe Full Fact can fact check his claim that Hinkley C will take £3billion off our electricity bills. . . . .

🤡

And I am loving that EY is throwing this up as some kind of defence, ignoring the obvious fact that Blojo is talking absolute nonsense whether it's out of context or not:ROFLMAO:

Maybe Full Fact can fact check his claim that Hinkley C will take £3billion off our electricity bills. . . . .

🤡

According to EDF Hinkley C "The planned twin unit UK EPR is capable of generating 3,260MW of secure, low carbon electricity for 60 years."

I`m surmising the 3,260MW is per annum? Its not clear (as normal!)

You can do the maths. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Then you`ve got Sizewell C in the pipeline and the Rolls Royce SMRs they keep talking about.

Multi-faceted approach you see. ;)

According to EDF Hinkley C "The planned twin unit UK EPR is capable of generating 3,260MW of secure, low carbon electricity for 60 years."

I`m surmising the 3,260MW is per annum? Its not clear (as normal!)

You can do the maths. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Then you`ve got Sizewell C in the pipeline and the Rolls Royce SMRs they keep talking about.

Multi-faceted approach you see. ;)
Meanwhile, back in the real world, the "£3billion saving" had already been wiped out by the ....ooohh £3 billion increase in the cost of the project announced in May.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountr...elayed-by-a-year-as-cost-goes-up-by-3-billion

Nothing at all wrong with a multi-facted approach (did anybody mention energy-mix...hmmm??), but plenty wrong with you yet again swallowing copious amounts of Blojo bullshit....you've been suckered in again!

Listening to Times Radio last night, the presenter and a guest commentator discussed this topic. The commentator stated that 'there is an easy solution to this' to which I thought 'yeah right'. However, the solution which according to the commentator, the energy companies are fully behind is for the Government to underwrite some sizeable commercial loans to the energy companies to get through the current period which they would then pay back over a c.20 year period on a smoothed basis. This would enable the energy companies to freeze the amount charged to consumers at the current levels.

I don't have the intricate detail of this but the positives appear to be:

- Energy bills are frozen at current levels
- The energy companies pay back the loan amounts over an extended period - this of course would be passed onto the consumer but on a very smoothed basis which the vast majority of consumers would welcome
- The serious stress and MH issues that will arise under the current situation will abate somewhat
- The impact on inflation of a spike in energy bills will reduce
- The impact on the wider economy e.g. hospitality sector, of people having less disposable income will lessen
- The Government and new PM would get a serious bounce in terms of popularity

The only counter-argument that the commentator could come up with is that Labour and the Lib Dems have suggested it and so they would make political capital out of the new PM introducing it. If that is where our politics has sunk to i.e. put a small political embarrassment ahead of what appears to be an incredibly sensible course of action with massive benefits to the population, then God help us.

Does anyone have other counter arguments to the above suggestion - I'm genuinely interested.
Looks like Lizzie gets her policies from this forum :)

Truss said to be planning 18-month bill freeze​

e626a6ab-a2ca-4a53-8e3d-2eecc56796bb.jpg

Simon Jack
BBC Business Editor
The BBC understands the government is planning an intervention in the wholesale gas and electricity markets which would benefit both domestic and business customers.
It's thought the government plans to freeze household bills at their current level through this winter and next - so roughly 18 months.
Energy companies would take out government-guaranteed loans to bridge the gap between the wholesale price in the market and the fixed price they are charging customers. Those loans would be repaid over the next 10-20 years through supplements to customer bills.
The precise mechanism to help business may be more complicated and would be reviewed more frequently, but reports suggest it could see the government mandate energy firms to offer specific reductions on the unit price of the energy businesses use.
The way that energy companies would be reimbursed for their losses on sales to business customers is also unclear.
The government estimates that the total package will amount to somewhere between £100-130bn, but the ultimate number will depend on movements in the international energy markets which have been extremely volatile - so it could be less, or it could be a lot more. An intervention of this nature on this scale is very hard to price.
It is also unclear how the government will treat its exposure to the energy market through its loan guarantees, as clearly there is a risk that energy companies might be unable to repay their loans if their domestic customers are unable to pay or if their business customers go bust.

None of the utilities should have ever been privatised. They are all essential to being able to live life in a comfortable way for all.
It's a scandal that anyone is making money out of water. It should be charged at a break even nominal amount, certainly for domestic users and essential services for starters. The quality of the water where I live is nowhere near what it was 20 or so years ago. All they care about is big dividends for their shareholders.

Back
Top Bottom