National News has the government failed the people with the latest energy price cap?

Have the government failed the people?

• Yes

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Dont know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lets have a general strike

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I blame Corbyn

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarge

God like member
With this mornings eyewatering energy pricecap announced - by so called independant body offgen .... already in whats been a hot summer money has been tight with fuel ,cost of living and excessive energy prices, where the majority feel the pinch but shareholders etc are enjoying record dividends ( ceo's recieving obscene bonuses too).... as colder weather comes in health, mental well being, along with tough choices eat or heat will become major issues for many ....across europe genuine help to combat energy rises appears to be being given.....yet here in the UK our caretaker PM fucks off on holidays akin to roman emperor Nero fiddling ( apt word with this shower in power methinks) while rome burnt.

Yet still people are conned by misinformation pedalled by the tory party, who are only interested in lining the pockets of themselves and their wealthy party supporters

Has this gov failed in its duty?
I think so

Jan 2022 - "We want Boris out"
Aug 2022 - "Where is Boris?"

You reap what you sow when you start a process. 🤷‍♂️

That aside the simplest solution is renationalisation of essential services (energy, transport, water etc)

Some may call that populist but its popular!
1661501797441.png

The flipside is that a publically owned energy business would still be trading in a global market.....................

We must use slightly over the average gas and 'lecy at 16, 500kwh and 3,400kwh respectively. Our average dual bill over the past eight years has been £1,170 pa topping out at £1,370. The new price cap has just increased that to £4,500pa!😳😳😠😠

The cheap energy Web site says my best fixed deal comes in at £5,000pa and if that's not available to me the best next is £6,122 pa!

What do the government have to say about this on TV this morning. Sweet FA!! The only good thing is they will have to do something!

Let’s hope whoever wins the Tory leadership their first priority is to make inroads into the energy crisis and come up very fast with solutions.
I would like to think that Sunak and Truss have already started with whoever they choose to be chancellor of the exchequer, so that within the first week they can make a positive statement for the help that is going to be needed for those certainly who will struggle big time.

Listening to the radio this am and someone suggested "Furlough Plus"................ but who "pays that bill"?

Just numbers on a spreadsheet isn`t it?

Consumerism is just a ponzi/pyramid scheme.... 🤷‍♂️

Listening to the radio this am and someone suggested "Furlough Plus"................ but who "pays that bill"?

Just numbers on a spreadsheet isn`t it?

Consumerism is just a ponzi/pyramid scheme.... 🤷‍♂️

Schemes have already been put forward including by the energy companies and Starmer.

Jan 2022 - "We want Boris out"
Aug 2022 - "Where is Boris?"

You reap what you sow when you start a process. 🤷‍♂️

That aside the simplest solution is renationalisation of essential services (energy, transport, water etc)

Some may call that populist but its popular!
View attachment 10004

Agreed on nationalisation for essential services. At the very least, the Govt should have ownership of 20-25% of energy production.

On BloJo, he did pretty much jack all anyway so him abdicating his responsibilities is no surprise. Although, I'm not surprised this is your take on him taking 2 holidays and doing nothing in the time of a national crisis even though he is still employed to do the job (as he wanted). He wanted to be Winston Churchill but has shown he is worse than an animated dog in an advert.

Yes the government has failed us in this matter. The worry is that they have got us into a position in this and other areas where they have dug such a deep hole that any future administration (of whatever political leaning) is going to have a hell of a job getting us out of it.

Meanwhile the idiot who is still supposed to be PM is doing the square root of nothing apart from trying to make himself look good for posterity. Personally I think posterity will make a judgement more based on the state he leaves the country in rather than some sixth form rhetoric in a foreign country. Of course the two Tory leadership candidates (and the rest of them) have both been entirely complicit - so it is certainly a collective government failure.

Schemes have already been put forward including by the energy companies and Starmer.

Starmers has already been called out us an underfunded sticking plaster.

New PM Job List..........

Nationalise ALL critical infrastructure and be done with it.

Any "profit/surplus" is reinvested 50% in more infra/future investments, and 50% into holding bills down.

Small nuclear generators for every town & city, solar on all new builds, and fracking where viable.

We could be an independent net exporter in no time.

Go hard, win votes. :)

Yes the government has failed us in this matter. The worry is that they have got us into a position in this and other areas where they have dug such a deep hole that any future administration (of whatever political leaning) is going to have a hell of a job getting us out of it.
Perfect.

Labour get in (probably via coalition), can’t sort it out in a single term, Tory media points and screams about how incompetent they are and how they told us all what a mess it would be, Johnson wrestles the leadership back just like Trump because he’s built a cult of cretins, and we’re all back where we were within 7 years tops.

The system works.

According to the EDF boss on Radio 4 the French have capped at 4% by using tax to negate/subsidise any increase.

IIRC France tax the "middle" more than we do..... think its 30% between 26-74k.

*edit - they also own a larger portion of their national infra...........

And thats a workable solution until folk get fed up with it....

Our household bills have increased by around £160 per month in the last year, and we're already looking to making savings with Lidl becoming the shop of choice. These increases, along with further increases in food costs will likely see us around £300 a month worse off.

I'm lucky in that I'm on a reasonable wage and can do overtime, but that means working more weekends and evenings and spending less time with my family. That's life, but it is the reality of the situation we find ourselves in.

Talk about helping the hardest hit is all well and good, but we're all being hit hard and it's only going to get worse whilst our Government do jack all.

Due to being left various bits and pieces recently I am in the reasonably fortunate position of being able to spend money on various home and energy improvements. I can probably insulate my house properly and throw in some solar panels for good measure, but even that feels like it’s only going to go so far presently.

At this rate it would probably be cheaper to go on holiday for the winter than stay at home with the gas and electric running. Although even that isn’t so straight forward anymore, since we’ll be limited in how many days we can spend in Lanzarote.

Our household bills have increased by around £160 per month in the last year, and we're already looking to making savings with Lidl becoming the shop of choice. These increases, along with further increases in food costs will likely see us around £300 a month worse off.

I'm lucky in that I'm on a reasonable wage and can do overtime, but that means working more weekends and evenings and spending less time with my family. That's life, but it is the reality of the situation we find ourselves in.

Talk about helping the hardest hit is all well and good, but we're all being hit hard and it's only going to get worse whilst our Government do jack all.

You will get the £400 and the £150 off your council tax though. £650 tax free dosh right there.

Anything additional the Government does (eventually) will/needs to be reverse tapered.

Nothing for those at the top, some for the middle, and most for the lower end.

Delivering that will be the challenge because there will always be folk on the dividing lines - but treating everyone the same is also is perceived as unfair. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom